What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: life_boyWell, this sounds fun so I'm just gonna let my imagination go on these.  I'd love to see some nice special (or Criterion) editions of some of these films.

Naked Lunch featuring commentary by David Cronenberg, interviews with David Cronenberg, Peter Weller, Judy Davis, Roy Schieder,  Ian Holm and various members of the production crew, deleted scenes with optional director's commentary, Naked Making Lunch: a documentary on the making of the film, interview with William S. Burroughs (taken before his 1997 death) in which he talks about the book, film, and Cronenberg, original shooting script, production notes and storyboards, a featurette on the sets and costumes in Naked Lunch, a featurette on Burroughs and other 'beat' writers

Hey, it's okay to dream.

..dreams do come true.....

GoneSavage

Criterion should release Grapes of Wrath.  That film deserves quality treatment.

socketlevel

Curtis' Charm, great film check it out.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: GoneSavageCriterion should release Grapes of Wrath.  That film deserves quality treatment.

Fox is releasing it on April 6th with commentary, a featurette, newsreels and trailers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Shaftr, you'll get your previous choice, Jues et Jim, sometime next year or the following, but no chance on La Dolce Vita. Its getting a special edition release sometime next year (June, last I heard) from another company.

SoNowThen

il conformista

but it'll never happen. Get off your ass, Paramount. Release this fucking film or sell the rights.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

billybrown

life_boy wrote:

Midnight Cowboy featuring commentary track by director John Schlesinger, behind-the-scenes footage, Midnight Cowboy Revisited television documentary, interviews with John Schlesinger, Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight and Sylvia Miles, Academy Award acceptance speeches, storyboards or concept art, original shooting script, a special dvd easter egg: What the hell happened to Schlesinger's career after this fuckin' movie?!?!? featuring interviews with Schlesinger, members of his family, and movie critics

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's gonna be real tough getting a John Schlesinger commentary track being that he's dead.

life_boy also wrote:

Sling Blade featuring commentary by Billy Bob Thornton, behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes with optional commentary by Billy Bob Thornton, Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood: an award winning documentary on the making of the film, interviews with cast and crew, Billy Bob's Oscar acceptance speech, original shooting script, a special dvd easter egg: ex-wife Angelina Jolie sex tape, a special dvd eater egg: documentary John Ritter: Life After Three's Company

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would we get to hear Billy Bob doing the commentary in full Swing Blade mode, annoying voice and all? That would be a classic.  :-D

Alethia

MacGuffin

Quote from: billybrownWould we get to hear Billy Bob doing the commentary in full Swing Blade mode, annoying voice and all? That would be a classic.  :-D

It would much better than the droll, unenthusiastic track he did on the Criterion laserdisc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: billybrownIt's gonna be real tough getting a John Schlesinger commentary track being that he's dead.
I believe he did commentary on the criterion laserdisc.

billybrown

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: billybrownIt's gonna be real tough getting a John Schlesinger commentary track being that he's dead.
I believe he did commentary on the criterion laserdisc.

Then I stand corrected... but I was just being a wee bit cheeky with that comment. It's amazing though how many commentary tracks Criterion was able to get on that crappy laser disc format from back in the day, and how tough it seems to be for them to rehash them/ get rights, etc., for films on DVD. Sucks actually.

billybrown

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: billybrownWould we get to hear Billy Bob doing the commentary in full Swing Blade mode, annoying voice and all? That would be a classic.  :-D

It would much better than the droll, unenthusiastic track he did on the Criterion laserdisc.

I've never heard it. Was it that bad? Spike Lee and Tim Burton tend to do some really wretched ones too (sooo much dead air), which is a shame, cuz you'd think interesting filmmakers like them would be able  provide lots of great insight and what not. Was the Billy Bob one on par with the lackluster commentaries provided by the aformentioned Lee and Burton?

MacGuffin

Quote from: billybrownIt's amazing though how many commentary tracks Criterion was able to get on that crappy laser disc format from back in the day, and how tough it seems to be for them to rehash them/ get rights, etc., for films on DVD. Sucks actually.

If it was considered "crappy" then Criterion wouldn't have gone through all recorded all those commentaries. It was the format at the time for 'cinephiles'. But now that the DVD format has taken off, the studios now see the financial rewards and won't give up the rights to those past commentary tracks and films.

Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: MacGuffin

I've never heard it. Was it that bad? Spike Lee and Tim Burton tend to do some really wretched ones too (sooo much dead air), which is a shame, cuz you'd think interesting filmmakers like them would be able  provide lots of great insight and what not. Was the Billy Bob one on par with the lackluster commentaries provided by the aformentioned Lee and Burton?

At least with Lee and Burton they offer insight despite their monotone. With Billy Bob's track, while I haven't listened to it in a while, I don't remember it being all that informative.

Skeleton FilmWorks