saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

MacGuffin

LeBron joins `SNL' for season premiere

LeBron James is treating his appearance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" season premiere like a fast break.

"I'm going to just wing it," the Cavaliers All-Star forward said Thursday during a rehearsal break.

James is practicing this week with his new teammates at "SNL," where he'll become the latest superstar to host the show.

The 22-year-old's humorous Nike ads, in which he plays four versions of himself, and his co-hosting performance at the ESPYs made Lorne Michaels believe James would do well on the show.

"You can tell when someone has a sense of humor or a least enough perspective on themselves to able to laugh at stuff," said Michaels, the show's creator and executive producer.

James got his lines Wednesday and did a read-through Thursday, leading Michaels to believe "The Chosen One" might have another natural gift.

"He's really good at this stuff," Michaels said.

James follows in the footsteps of his boyhood idol, Michael Jordan, who hosted the 1991 season premiere. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning appeared on the show last season, and other stars such as Joe Montana and Wayne Gretzky have had memorable performances.

Michaels said he believes athletes have been successful on the show because they're fearless.

"They're used to being in front of a large group of people and not knowing how it's going to turn out," Michaels said.

James, who says he doesn't get nervous for big games, is treating the show no differently and said collaborating with the writers and actors has made him comfortable with the sketches.

"They make you feel like you're one of them," James said.

When James co-hosted the ESPYs with Jimmy Kimmel, he appeared in several skits, danced and sang a version of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative" with rewritten lyrics about his own fame.

He wouldn't say whether he has another song and dance routine planned for this weekend's show, which also features Kanye West.

"I want to make an impression," James said. "Just go out there and be original and have some fun."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ugh fucking sports players.  i'll just wait for rogen/spoon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

I watched the first couple of skits.  Lebron wasn't as stiff as I was expecting but based on the High School Musical skit and the Ahmedinejad love song, I think I can safely say that after the Seth Rogen episode, I may finally have the strength to end my relationship once and for all with SNL.  Unless they discover a new Ferrell/Hartman/Myers/Murphy powerhouse that makes the show unmissable again, or they give Will Forte complete control, I'm out.  The good stuff ends up on youtube by 1:01am anyway.

It feels good.  It really does.  I just wish I had walked away sooner.

pumba

The digital short is almost always the highlight for me. This one was funny, but it wasn't magic like the Nathalie Portman or DIAB

"You can deny the holocaust all you want, but you can't deny that there's something between us"

C'mon, that's awesome.

Stefen

I'll watch the Seth Rogen and Spoon episode.

It'll be the first time I've tuned into SNL in YEARS, maybe a decade.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

i thought the digital short was beautiful.

modage

Quote from: modage on October 05, 2007, 03:23:40 PM
my time warner fake tivo this week has fucked up and only recorded the first minute of Heroes, The Office and (MOST OF ALL GODDAMNIT) 30Rock.  but it did record The Sarah Silverman Program all the way through.  is NBC implementing some evil system to not let fake tivo-ers tape their shows?  the shows it didnt record were all HD but my box is nowhere near full.  on the bright side a complaint just got me 3 months of free showtime, hello non-torrent'd Weeds!
GODDAMNIT!  the box missed Rogen/Spoon.  how was it? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on October 07, 2007, 12:15:44 PM
Quote from: modage on October 05, 2007, 03:23:40 PM
my time warner fake tivo this week has fucked up and only recorded the first minute of Heroes, The Office and (MOST OF ALL GODDAMNIT) 30Rock.  but it did record The Sarah Silverman Program all the way through.  is NBC implementing some evil system to not let fake tivo-ers tape their shows?  the shows it didnt record were all HD but my box is nowhere near full.  on the bright side a complaint just got me 3 months of free showtime, hello non-torrent'd Weeds!
GODDAMNIT!  the box missed Rogen/Spoon.  how was it? 

Ehhhh. The news took up far too much time because of Chevy Chase doing a separate anchor desk. The first couple skits were okay, but Rogan really didn't do much.

Here's one of Spoon's performances:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Man, Chevy looked OLD!

The opening monologue was pretty funny ("You stuck with me when the RZA and Ghostface Killah called me up and asked me to be the new leader of the Wu Tang Clan.") but I was hoping for better.

And next week, Jon Bon Jovi is the host... they're making it so easy for me to break it off completely.

cine

the newest addition to SNL, Casey Wilson:

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

cine

Bethie

please. if i were less funny, I'D be on snl.
who likes movies anyway

john

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Ravi

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1988111/

Casey Wilson

Actor:

1. The Great Buck Howard (2008) .... Charity
   2. The Brothers Solomon (2007) .... Fertility Clinic Worker
   3. Revenge (2007) (TV) .... Sarah
   4. "Human Giant" .... Young Mom (1 episode, 2007)
          - The Illusionators (2007) TV episode .... Young Mom
   5. The Definition of Sex (2007) .... Abby
   6. For Your Consideration (2006) .... Young Actress

Writer:

1. Bride Wars (2009) (pre-production) (screenplay)
   2. "Creature Comforts" (2007) TV series (unknown episodes, 2007)

Actress:

1. "The Very Funny Show" (2007) TV series (as Casey Wilson)
   2. Derek & Simon: A Bee and a Cigarette (2006) (as Casey Wilson) .... Anna

She's so versatile she's an actress and an actor.