SO FAR THIS YEAR XII

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2014, 07:30:17 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mel

Will be short as of now:

• Tim's Vermeer - obsession that is intoxicating, a fun documentary to watch.
  • Jodorowsky's Dune - same reasons as previous documentary.
  • Blue Ruin - small revenge film done right.
  • Snowpiercer - action sci-fi fable done right.
  • Under the Skin - biggest WTF so far.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

apeshit excited about this friday. these have been my favorites so far this year

dance of reality
grand budapest hotel
under the skin
the double
blue ruin
the raid 2
snowpiercer
miss lovely
fault in our stars
land ho!

matt35mm

THE WIND RISES

NIGHT MOVES

THE IMMIGRANT

BOYHOOD

max from fearless

The Wind Rises
Exhibition
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Only Lovers Left Alive

Punch

A touch of sin
the immigrant
enemy
only lovers left alive
under the skin
snow piercer
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Lottery

Going by IMDB dates, I don't think I've seen anything that's been truly exceptional.

But I rather enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel.

jenkins

^^
1 calendars are so tricky i just i'm like well idk what i'm like 'cause dang i mean i saw the wind rises last year oh my i saw we are the best last year oh geez and i saw a touch of sin this year during a programming of 2013's best movies i mean what's a fella to do but trust one's gut

b sounds like maybe you're more of a pottery person anyway

wilder

Inherent Vice
Force Majeure
Tom at the Farm
The Overnighters
Nymphomaniac Vol. 1
Interstellar
We Are the Best!
Mommy
Listen Up Philip

Foxcatcher
Gone Girl
Palo Alto
Maps to the Stars
Jeune et Jolie

N

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 08, 2014, 12:41:45 PM
apeshit excited about this friday. these have been my favorites so far this year

dance of reality
You've seen this? I'm so jealous. Can't wait for the torrent (earliest I'll be able to watch it, really doubt I'll find it on the big screen either)

land ho!

I haven't seen Martin Bonner either, but I want to and I should and very hopefully will remember to get it and watch it and possibly talk about it.

samsong

inherent vice
only lovers left alive
the immigrant
under the skin
nymph()maniac
citizenfour
birdman
mr turner
the hobbit: the battle of the five armies
gone girl

max from fearless

Just watched "Jodorowsky's Dune" and it goes straight onto my So Far list. The rage, sadness and defiance of those last 15mins pack a devastating punch. One of the final scenes where "the Father who failed" sits next to "the son he sacrificed" and they lament and defy, really left a mark, y'know, dreams deferred plus that Dennis Hopper quote, "The only thing harder than making the film, is not making the film." Also loved the first third of the film where it's a man on a mission movie and the mission is to recruit a hardcore, like-minded army of filmmaker warriors, to partake in spiritual-filmmaking-warfare. I finished the film and chanted "I am Dune" for hours.

N

Quote from: max from fearless on July 14, 2014, 04:02:55 AM
Just watched "Jodorowsky's Dune" and it goes straight onto my So Far list. The rage, sadness and defiance of those last 15mins pack a devastating punch. One of the final scenes where "the Father who failed" sits next to "the son he sacrificed" and they lament and defy, really left a mark, y'know, dreams deferred plus that Dennis Hopper quote, "The only thing harder than making the film, is not making the film." Also loved the first third of the film where it's a man on a mission movie and the mission is to recruit a hardcore, like-minded army of filmmaker warriors, to partake in spiritual-filmmaking-warfare. I finished the film and chanted "I am Dune" for hours.
Just finished it for my second time and I agree completely. Even if Dune had been made and it was a failure (which I seriously doubt), the story behind it's creation is really quite fascinating as it is. Such a diverse collaboration of talent, with Jodorowsky's unique influence, I think it would have been extraordinary.

I wonder if anybody here has had a look at the comics at all? The documentary gives us glimpses of the story but it'd be interesting to see it as a finished work, regardless of the medium.

jenkins

sundance next movies arranged by my feelings for them:

a girl walks home alone at night
kumiko, the treasure hunter
the guest
imperial dreams
listen up philip

max from fearless

can you give us a little more detail, jenkins? especially want to know your thoughts on 'a girl walks home alone at night' which I really wanna see and the much hyped 'listen up philip' (wish you would've caught the Kahlil Joseph, Kendrick Lemar, Flying Lotus short as well, you can't see em all tho, right...)