Zack Snyder

Started by MacGuffin, August 28, 2007, 10:20:39 PM

MacGuffin

Snyder inks for Warners' 'Illustrated'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Zack Snyder is sharpening his pencil for Warner Bros. Pictures' "The Illustrated Man."

Snyder is attached to direct the adaptation based on the classic Ray Bradbury collection of short stories and will produce with his wife/producing partner Deborah Snyder via their Cruel and Unusual Films along with Denise Di Novi of Di Novi Pictures and Frank Darabont.

"Illustrated" is a collection of unrelated stories that explore the nature of humankind and are linked by a storyteller whose tattoos come to life and tell a tale.

Some of the better-known stories include "The Veldt," about two parents who use an artificial nursery that re-creates the African savanna to placate their children but get locked inside it by the kids; "The Other Foot," in which Mars has been colonized by black people who want to create a system of segregation when they learn that a rocket filled with white travelers is arriving from Earth; and "Marionettes Inc.," in which a man attempts to escape his unhappy marriage by replacing himself with a robot to fool his wife, only to discover that his wife left a while ago and he had been living with a robot version of her.

The book, originally published in 1951, was the basis of a 1969 film that was distributed by Warner Bros.-Seven Arts and starred Rod Steiger in the title role.

Alex Tse, who wrote Snyder's upcoming directorial effort "Watchmen," is adapting the screenplay.

Kevin McCormick and Greg Silverman are overseeing the project for Warners. Jesse Ehrman is the creative executive.

Di Novi's Alison Greenspan and Cruel and Unusual's Wesley Coller executive produce.

Studio-based Di Novi recently wrapped production on "Nights in Rodanthe," an adaptation of the Nicholas Sparks novel starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane, and is in postproduction on "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2."

Snyder, who directed "300" for Warners, is in preproduction on "Watchmen." The Snyders' Cruel and Unusual signed a production deal this year with Warners.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Zack Snyder eyes 'Last Photograph'
'300' team reunites for Afghanistan drama
Source: Variety

The "300" team of director Zack Snyder, screenwriter Kurt Johnstad and Hollywood Gang have reunited for "The Last Photograph," a drama based on an original idea by Snyder.

Story revolves around a photograph that becomes the catalyst for a journey two men undertake through war-torn Afghanistan.

Johnstad will write the script as a potential directing vehicle for Snyder. Hollywood Gang's Gianni Nunnari will produce with Snyder and his Cruel and Unusual Films partner Deborah Snyder.

The producers plan to develop the film and then auction it. All of them have been doing most of their work for "300" distributor Warner Bros.

Snyder is directing "Watchmen," and he's developing for WB the Joby Herald-scripted "Army of the Dead," an adaptation of Ray Bradbury novel "The Illustrated Man." He's also working on "Sucker Punch," an action fantasy Snyder is writing with Steve Shibuya.

Hollywood Gang just set at WB the Warren Ellis graphic novel "Ocean," as well as a remake of 1978 British adventure film "The Wild Geese," with Rupert Sanders directing. Hollywood Gang is also prepping for WB an adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic novel "Ronin," with Sylvain White ("Stomp the Yard") directing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Zack Snyder lines up 'Sucker' cast
Seyfried, Hudgens, Cornish, Wood in talks

As the clock clicks towards the opening of "Watchmen" on Friday, Zack Snyder is beginning to put together an all-female cast for his next project, "Sucker Punch."

Amanda Seyfried in negotiations to topline the project, while Vanessa Hudgens, Abbie Cornish and Evan Rachel Wood are in talks to star in the action fantasy, which Snyder is directing. Snyder is also producing with his Cruel & Unusual Films partner and wife Deborah Snyder.

Set in the 1950s, "Punch" follows a girl who is confined to a mental institution by her stepfather, who intends to have her lobotomized in five days. While there, she imagines an alternative reality to hide her from the pain, and in that world, she begins planning her escape, needing to steal five objects to help get her out before she is deflowered by a vile man.

Snyder, who co-wrote the script with Steve Shibuya, has described the fantasy world as " 'Alice in Wonderland' with machine guns," blending such elements as dragons, B-52 bombers and brothels.

Seyfried would play Babydoll, the institutionalized girl.

If deals are completed, the rest would play Seyfried's fellow inmates who also travel into the alternate reality. Hudgens would play a character named Blondie, Cornish would play Sweet Pea, and Wood would play Rocket.

The shooting schedule is still being worked out.

Wesley Coller of Cruel and Unusual exec produces.

Seyfried, repped by Innovative Artists, starred as Meryl Streep's daughter in "Mamma Mia!" and is currently shooting Atom Egoyan's "Chloe." She next stars with Megan Fox in "Jennifer's Body."

Hudgens, repped by WMA and Untitled, is best known for her work in the "High School Musical" franchise while CAA-repped Cornish's credits include "Stop-Loss" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Fernando

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 03, 2009, 09:27:47 PM
Yipeee! More amanda!

why aren't you watching big love??? she's been getting a lot of stuff this season..

SiliasRuby

because I haven't even started season 1...gotta lot of stuff to watch.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Zack Snyder Talks 300 Sequel
Source: ComingSoon

Warner Bros. held a press meeting this afternoon to showcase the new immersive technology of their upcoming Watchmen and 300 Blu-rays. Zack Snyder, in addition to talking about the releases, chatted with ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! about his potential sequel to 300.

"I know for a fact that Frank [Miller] is writing right now," says Snyder, who explains that the plan is for Miller to create the story as a comic book first, "[He's] drawing away and seems to be knee-deep in it. I think he's going to head back to Greece again and do another reconnaissance."

With the first 300 having been created on a decidedly smaller budget than Watchmen, Snyder says that he probably wants the look and feel of a sequel to maintain that of 300, even though Miller's notes promise a grander scale.

"I think we would use the same technology... I don't want it to look too Star Wars-ian... Just from what [Miller] told me, it would be bigger as far as landscape and terrain. We're going to see Athens and the Aegean and other places. There would be an opportunity for bigger visions, though I'd hope for the same aesthetic. The tech we used for '300' was not a revolution. It's basically what the weatherman has. Look, instead of Accuweather it's Sparta... It's going to be the same way, but on crazier steroids."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jon Hamm gets 'Sucker' punched
Joins Emily Browning, Jena Malone in action fantasy

"Mad Men" star Jon Hamm has joined the cast of "Sucker Punch," an action fantasy Zack Snyder is directing for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.

Hamm joins Emily Browning, Vanessa Hudgens, Jamie Chung, Jena Malone, Abbie Cornish and Carla Gugino in the 1950s-set tale of a girl (Browning) confined to a mental institution by her stepfather, who intends to have her lobotomized in five days. She and her friends enter an alternate reality where they begin planning an escape.

Although details for Hamm's character are being kept under lock and key, the name is known: High Roller.

Snyder, who wrote the script, is producing with his Cruel & Unusual Films partner, wife Deborah Snyder.

Hamm, repped by ICM and Forward Entertainment, is shooting Season 3 of "Mad Men," whose Sunday premiere attracted 2.8 million viewers, a series high. In September, he will segue to Boston to shoot "The Town," Warners' crime thriller being directed by Ben Affleck, before hopping a flight to Vancouver for "Sucker Punch."

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

took a few kids to see Legend of the Guardians yesterday - it's that 3D animated movie about owls fighting owls.
and in the closing credits I realized the film was directed by Zack Snyder.
I thought of him when there was one owl that had knives instead of claws.
and it was also full of speed ramping in the action sequences.
and all the people talked the way serious british people sounded in SNL skits.

that's what he should be doing, more kids movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on October 18, 2010, 04:13:51 PM
that's what he should be doing, more kids movies.

not sure if you're being facetious.. all i've heard from this turd is that it's pretty crap all round, and that it doesn't make any sense. on top of having the worst title of the year.

i think snyder's playing it low key with this film because he's rightfully embarrassed by it.
under the paving stones.

pete

no it was totally a turd; I'm sorry your friends saw it.
but I just figure he'd be most low-key and doing the least bit of damage when he's putting out those turds.  if he's directing movies either way, then I rather they be awful children's movies than meathead empowerment tools.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Holy Sith! Zack Snyder Planning 'Seven Samurai'-Inspired 'Star Wars' Film?
Source: Movieline

In case you were wondering, you can rest easy in the knowledge that Disney has absolutely no intention of treating the Star Wars franchise like a finite resource. Instead, they plan to mine it like spice from the cruelest mines of Kessel, and the proof is the possibility of a Kurosawa-inspired film set in the galaxy far, far away, brought to you by Zack Snyder, the man currently tasked with finally bringing a post-Christopher Reeve Superman to theaters.

Vulture has brought us news of a rumor blowing up like the Death Star that 300, Watchmen and Man of Steel director Snyder is developing a new stand-alone Star Wars film based on Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai that would exist, almost certainly, separate from the planned Episodes 7, 8 and 9. The plot would replace feudal Japanese swordslingers with lightsaber wielding Jedi. And since the original Star Wars was heavily based on Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, it would allow us to declare — and you knew this was coming — that the circle is now complete.

The setting is unclear, but Vulture's source claims it would take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. As we know, Episodes 7, 8 and 9 are also going to take place long after Jedi. How awesome does that sound? My mouth already waters at the notion of a live action Star Wars TV show set in the aftermath of the rebellion against the Empire. This makes me positively drool.

That said, I'd prefer there just be Seven Samurai... IN SPAAAACE, without having to graft the Star Wars brand name onto it. But since Roger Corman already covered that with his schlocky B-movie classic Battle Beyond The Stars, I'll take what I can get. Especially since it'll be awesome exploring the idea of Jedi Ronin in the post-Empire galaxy. Bring it, and may the force be with us. And maybe next, we can get the Star Wars version of Zatoichi. Please, please hire Ian Holmes for that.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Apparently it's just a rumor. Snyder's people have denied it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.