Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

samsong

Nashville just kicked my ass... why I didn't take the time to sit down and watch this when I had the chance before still confuses me but, well, now I have, and I'm very very glad.  Consider myself converted; I <3 Altman.

My only real complaints about what has to be among the greatest and most important American works of art ever created is that it's a bit obvious in spots and I felt that Altman lost a little steam in terms of interweaving the characters/plots (the middle hour is considerable slower than the one that precedes it and the greatest forty minutes I've seen in a while that follows).  I hate country music but it had a certain poignancy in this film that is completely necessary and universal; ts appeal is of no consequence.  It's up the viewer whether or not they let the music bother them to where they can't see the genius that's at work here, in which case it's their loss.  I love soixante's observation that in Altman's films, what seems haphazard and improvised is actually deliberate and very meticulously constructed.  Nashville is one of the most beautiful conducted/composed films in all of cinema.

To me, Nashville is comparable to Godard's Weekend in terms of cultural and cinematic importance, except with the latter I was completely blown away whereas with Nashville I felt an overwhelming sense of pride in cinema and the joy of having seen a great film.  If I haven't made it clear enough, Nashville is a masterpiece.

I think I'll be blind buying Short Cuts, 3 Women, and Secret Honor (or asking for them as gifts) come Christmas.

Going through the thread I haven't read much about Images from anyone.  I love the film... anyone else seen it?

Alethia

samsong, blind buy california split too

soixante

Yes, blind buy Cal Split, Tanner 88 and Short Cuts, if you enjoyed Nashville.  I just watched California Split again, and the DVD's widescreen format was a revelation after watching it so many times on cable.

California Split is Altman's most Cassavetes-like film, in which two middle aged men dodge the responsibilities of the average American life -- it is a nice companion piece to Husbands and Killing of a Chinese Bookie.  It is also a great study of compulsive gambling, released the same year as another great study of compulsive gambling, The Gambler.

California Split, in short, is Altman at the top of his game, one of his very best.

The advent of DVD's has put things in perspective -- in the 80's, supposedly Altman's low point, he was directing such cutting edge fare as Tanner 88 and Fool for Love and Secret Honor.  His other contemporaries from the "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" generation were either inactive or were kowtowing to Hollywood corporate dictates (Color of Money or Peggy Sue Got Married, for example).  Altman went underground, filming low-budget adaptations of plays by important American playwrights (Sam Shepard, David Rabe).

Altman will turn 80 in 2005.  It is time for him to receive a lifetime achievement award from AFI, and a special Oscar.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

New Line has announced the DVD release of Robert Altman's Kansas City for 2/15 (SRP $19.97). The disc will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio. Extras will include audio commentary and the film's theatrical trailer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

i time and time again have tried to warm up to altman  -- i give him utmost respect for the man he is and the work he has created - however, I do not like his films. i have tried and tried again to warm up to altman --  looking at them with a critical eye they are very well concieved and executed, however I just can not seem to enjoy his movies as a viewer. hes one of the few directors i respect yet avoid at any cost. ridicule me if you may. now i have not seen his whole body of work -- ive seen his best regarded films - however if there are any less accessible/discussed films that one could recommend, I'd love to seek them out.
...your excuses are your own...

Weak2ndAct

Well, which did you see?

cowboykurtis

short cuts
nashville
secret honor
3 women
gosford park
popeye
the player
mccabe and mrs. miller

ono

And you hated all of them?  Well, if you couldn't get into The Player, you'll probably never like Altman.  It's the most straightforward film you'll get from him (from what I've seen anyway).  Short Cuts really grows on you, though.  Like Magnolia.  Only difference is, Short Cuts doesn't come in a neat little package, though.  It just ends, but seems to keep on going, where as Magnolia has a nice little bookend (even though its critics say okay, what was the point?).

cowboykurtis

i wouldnt say i hated them -- im just not crazy about the way he tells stories -- i can stand back and respect the choices he makes and the stories he tells, I just don't enjoy his films as a viewer -- for instance im not going to throw nashville on as I would with the maltese falcon for the pure joy of watching the film -- my biggest problem is i dont think he hides his technique very well -- im so aware of his "filmmaking" while watching, that I can't surrender to the story -- i find his style, epecially his use of zoom lenses and sound (eventhough most rave about the sound) very distracting and poorly executed.  i most recently saw 3 women -- the tone of the film was wonderful, however i felt there was this desperate attempt to make it overtly enigmatic that detatched me from the story --   i was intruiged with it's mystery and ambiguity, however it was not a film that resonated - they simply die for me soon after the film fades.  i really do feel his film are strongest in tone and atmosphere - i fell in hine sight, one can think of any which film and be taken back to the world. curiously I am most attracted to atmospheric directors -- it could very well be the atmospheres he creates are not ones that i am interested in.

Ravi

Quote from: cowboykurtismy biggest problem is i dont think he hides his technique very well -- im so aware of his "filmmaking" while watching, that I can't surrender to the story -- i find his style, epecially his use of zoom lenses and sound (eventhough most rave about the sound) very distracting and poorly executed.

The style of the film does not have to be invisible to be enjoyable.  Look at Citizen Kane, Magnolia, or any Kurosawa film.  I'm aware of the filmmaking while watching those films, but it doesn't detract from them.  The sound on some of the older films can sound like a mishmash at times, in the pre-digital era.

I liked Gosford Park a lot when I first saw it, but watched it once or twice more and didn't like it as much.  I'd rather watch Rules of the Game.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: cowboykurtismy biggest problem is i dont think he hides his technique very well -- im so aware of his "filmmaking" while watching, that I can't surrender to the story -- i find his style, epecially his use of zoom lenses and sound (eventhough most rave about the sound) very distracting and poorly executed.

The style of the film does not have to be invisible to be enjoyable.  Look at Citizen Kane, Magnolia, or any Kurosawa film.  I'm aware of the filmmaking while watching those films, but it doesn't detract from them.  The sound on some of the older films can sound like a mishmash at times, in the pre-digital era.

I liked Gosford Park a lot when I first saw it, but watched it once or twice more and didn't like it as much.  I'd rather watch Rules of the Game.
im not saying that visible style ruins a film -- i just do not like HIS style. I think the way he shoots is sloppy and does not fit the stories he tells.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinNew Line has announced the DVD release of Robert Altman's Kansas City for 2/15 (SRP $19.97). The disc will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio. Extras will include audio commentary and the film's theatrical trailer.

What?  No Jazz '34 to go with it?  Eff that.

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

cine

Quote from: rudieobis A WEDDING on dvd?
No.. ever heard of Amazon.com?