Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

classical gas

who is this critic anyway?

molly

Quote from: classical gaswho is this critic anyway?

a local guy, you've never heard of him

abuck1220

can anybody recommend any good books on altman?

cine

Quote from: abuck1220can anybody recommend any good books on altman?
Indeed I can:

SHAFTR

so I finally saw Nashville.  I went nuts over the end scene at the Parthenon because a week prior I was in Nashville for the Music City Bowl and I went to the Parthenon.  It made me laugh.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: abuck1220can anybody recommend any good books on altman?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR
haha, yeah.  but if you actually want to like him as a person, dont read it.  because he seems like a drunken asshole.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

Another great book about Altman came out in 1978, and is out of print.  I forgot the title, but it is worth seeking out, and contains some wonderful insights into his work.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

Today is Robert Altman's 79th birthday.  After all these years, he is still a maverick and still going strong.
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

happy birthday rob.  heres to 79 more years being a drunken arsehole, and making movies that nobody wants to see!  :wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

And in just a few weeks, The Company finally comes to my town.  Can't wait.

cine

I'll be seeing the Company in Toronto soon. Happy birthday!

Sebastian Haff

I've enjoyed following "Tanner '88" on Sundance the past few weeks. It's been fun to see how Altman does video. It's just like his films. I don't know why I expected anything other than that.

I guess I thought he might do something a little bit different with the different medium, but the only difference is the harshness of video.

If anyone else has noticed it, I also found it humorous that the copy of Tanner '88 that Sundance showed was full of ugly analog video glitches. I wonder if this was on purpose, or just a bad dub?

ono

I just saw a bit of a documentary on Altman on the Fox movie channel.  I think that's what channel it was, anyway.  Pretty good, some good stories, fairly informative even though it was rather short.  The guide said two hours, though it ended about an hour and a half in.  No commercials, so it was a premium channel I was watching.  Maybe the guide was a bit off.  Apparently, MASH was the first R-rated film to use the word "fuck."  And seeing an old man like Altman say "fuck" is fucking cool.  No fucking pun intended.