Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

Ravi

What do you guys think of the films included in the Robert Altman collection?  I've only seen M*A*S*H.

cine

Quote from: meatwad on June 07, 2006, 12:05:05 PM
i called this morning and had my tickets replaced with tickets for the strangers with candy show that the museum of the moving image is doing on june 16th. colbert, sedaris and dinello will be there. so i'm a little happier then i was when i found out Altman could not make it

EDIT: Just found out Colbert won't be there  :(

was i able to get a refund on the altman ticket since he was promoted to show up but didnt?

meatwad

Quote from: Cinephile on June 21, 2006, 09:15:29 PM
Quote from: meatwad on June 07, 2006, 12:05:05 PM
i called this morning and had my tickets replaced with tickets for the strangers with candy show that the museum of the moving image is doing on june 16th. colbert, sedaris and dinello will be there. so i'm a little happier then i was when i found out Altman could not make it

EDIT: Just found out Colbert won't be there  :(

was i able to get a refund on the altman ticket since he was promoted to show up but didnt?

yeah

samsong

oh, you haven't lived till you've seen McCabe & Mrs. Miller on the big screen... on weed!  but seriously, seeing it projected was unbelievable.

Thieves Like Us kinda sucks.  i'll take They Live By Night over it (and most other love-on-the-run films) anyday.

MacGuffin

Hollywood's new stars: Altman, Walters, Wolf

Robert Altman, Dick Wolf, Lauren Shuler Donner and Barbara Walters will join 20 other artists and performers to be honored in 2007 with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Recipients were announced Friday by Walk of Fame committee chairman Johnny Grant. "It's a privilege to honor these performers," he said. In a marathon meeting held June 16, the committee reviewed more than 200 nominations to select the 23 honorees. Other honorees are (film): Michael Caine, Matt Damon, Jamie Foxx, John Goodman, Michelle Pfeiffer; (TV): Erik Estrada, Kiefer Sutherland, Jerry Stiller; (music): Combs, Mariah Carey, the Doors, Crystal Gayle, Tim McGraw, LeAnn Rimes, Shania Twain; (theater): Tim Rice, Lily Tomlin; (radio) Rodney Bingenheimer, Stu Nahan. (AP)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

All 'Hands' on for Altman pic
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Robert Altman, whose "A Prairie Home Companion" was released by Picturehouse, is close to teaming with the distributor again for his next project.

Altman and writer Stephen Harrigan are developing a script inspired by the events depicted in S.R. Bindler's 1997 documentary "Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary," which recounted a Texas endurance contest that offered a new Nissan Hardbody truck as the prize.

The last person left standing with a hand on the truck got to take it home. Altman has wanted to direct the project for years and now says it will be his next film. He compares it to Sydney Pollack's 1969 film "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" which centered on a marathon dance contest.

Harrigan, whose credits include such telefilms as Hallmark Entertainment's "The Colt" and Channel 4/Lifetime's "Widow on the Hill," is at work on the screenplay, and Altman has begun talking to such actors as Billy Bob Thornton and Hilary Swank, though cast availability when the film is ready to shoot will be a factor.

"He can get almost anybody," one source close to the production said. When the script is finished, it likely is to be funded by HBO International's Charles Schrager and greenlighted by Picturehouse president Bob Berney. Altman hopes to start production in January with a $10 million budget.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Film Director Robert Altman Dies
Film Director Robert Altman Has Died at a Los Angeles Hospital, According to a Spokesman

LOS ANGELES Nov 21, 2006 (AP)— Robert Altman, the caustic and irreverent satirist behind "MASH," "Nashville" and "The Player" who made a career out of bucking Hollywood management and story conventions, died at a Los Angeles Hospital, his Sandcastle 5 Productions Company said Tuesday. He was 81.

The director died Monday night, Joshua Astrachan, a producer at Altman's Sandcastle 5 Productions in New York City, told The Associated Press.

The cause of death wasn't disclosed. A news release was expected later in the day, Astrachan said.

Find Your Magali

I won't soon forget his speech at the Oscars. RIP.

squints

What a horrible way to start this day.

:(
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pozer

missin' him already.  so happy he got one more picture in before he departed.  rest in peace, sir altman.

Ravi

Very sad news, though I'm glad he lived to such an old age and was regularly making films up to the end of his life.

squints

Altman marathon all day. Starting with Short Cuts (My Personal Favorite), The Player, McCabe, Nashville, MASH, California Split, and ending with the one I haven't seen: 3 Women
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Derek237

I just found out about Altman less than a minute ago. That's terrible!!! I have one of those sinking feelings....there's never going to be another Robert Altman film ever again. :( I hate those feelings.

R.I.P.

What's weird was that I was just thinking about his Golden Globe acceptance speech this morning...I wanted to find a transcript, or something. Damnit.

Pozer

that sounds like an amazing day right there.  wish i could cut outta work to do the same.

nix

3 Women is this shit. Tied with Short Cuts as my personal fav. We lost a true master today.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen