Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: eward on April 28, 2006, 08:08:11 AM
fuck, i wish i could go.  i don't think i'll have many more oppurtunity's to meet him.
i hope you use the time to read up on the english language.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

lol cut me some slack, it was early....that is NOT a mistake I would normally make!

I Don't Believe in Beatles

PTA wrote the foreword to "Altman on Altman."  It's two pages long. 
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: modage on May 21, 2006, 01:19:47 AM
transcript/scan?

I didn't have any money to buy it.  Sorry.  I was hoping it'd be a "search inside!" book on Amazon, but nope.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

squints

I live in a tiny college town in Oklahoma. not too much culture to be spread around but we take what we can get. My latest attempt at educating the masses is an independent video store operated by myself and two other guys. we're in the final stages of getting everything together and we have an entire wall devoted to a number of films divided specifically by director. so far we've got the likes of herzog, kurosawa, fellini, godard, peter jackson, spielberg, coppola, malick, takeshi miike, kenji fukasaku, shinya tsukamoto, tarantino...a load of others..and of course pta. The only two on the wall of directors i demanded be there were pta and robert altman. in the past year i've become somewhat of a fanatic altman fan (thanks in part to this wonderful site) and his section is one of the last to be purchased. in gathering a collection of his "best" films for his section on the wall i think i've come up with a decent list knowing that hopes of having every one of his films on the wall is relatively impossible
so here's what's going on the wall:
MASH
McCabe
The Long Goodbye
California Split
Nashville
3 Women
Popeye
Secret Honor
The Player
Short Cuts
Gosford Park

i think its a good list. if it were your store would you leave anything out or add anything? so far the only ones we have are Short Cuts, Nashville, McCabe, The Player, and California Split...but unless someone convinces me otherwise i'm gonna order the rest monday.

and by the way...owning a video store with over 7000 movies and having a business account specifically for the purchase of more movies just rendered the "I Just Bought" thread completely useless to me.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

soixante

I would add Tanner 88 and subtract Popeye.
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

that was great.  thanks!  you should pass it along to C&RV
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: squints on May 21, 2006, 01:57:33 AM
I live in a tiny college town in Oklahoma. not too much culture to be spread around but we take what we can get. My latest attempt at educating the masses is an independent video store operated by myself and two other guys...

Squints, good luck with this.  I have a feeling it's going to be TOUGH. 

I had a similar notion in starting an independent movie theater using low-tech equipment to keep cost down.  My plan was to rent an office space, purchase consumer-grade electronics, and house inexpensive seating to hold about 25-30 customers.  I estimated my monthly operating costs to be about $2500, and this is without licensing rights.

Licensing rights is what gets you.  I contacted the MPLC about an umbrella license in hopes that it would give me a list of movies that I could freely access and show whenever I wanted.  What's nice about the umbrella license that it was an annual fee for a cheap price (estimated $3000), and this would prevent me from contacting the individual studio, and thus driving my cost and time up exponentially.  Well, no such luck.  They told me that their agreements didn't cover instances where movies are shown in a theater setting and/or marketed and advertised to gather an audience.  What their umbrella license would cover would be movies you want to publicly show at a church, school, local gathering, etc. and not for profit.  They told me to contact the individual studios to get licensing rights for each movie, which is ridiculously expensive (as much as $10,000 per movie).

With the difficulty of license agreements and the constraints of the market I'm in, the obvious choice was to kill the idea.  I originally was planning to run with this as a side project and a hobby, since I'm already employed full-time.  I would have to keep the theater running 15 days of the month to break even with my costs, and that was more than I wanted to be involved with it.  It would be ok if I could get it up and running, and turn it over to someone else to run full-time, but we're talking a long start-up time.

If anyone is interested in starting this up in a larger market (Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, etc.), feel free to contact me.  I can give you ideas and cost estimates to create a business plan.  Though I still feel this type of business will be unprofitable until the studios agree to some kind of cheap global license agreements to allow business owners to have a fighting chance in making profits.

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

"This is going to be fast and furious," says Robert Altman of his upcoming movie, Hands on a Hardbody. He isn't making an action flick, but he is dabbling in cars: Body is a fictional take on the '99 doc about folks who enter a contest to win a pickup truck. In talks to star: Billy Bob Thornton, Hiliary Swank, Chris Rock, and The Rock.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

They should get Burt Reynolds, and a new title.

Hands on a Hardbody sounds like a bad 80's spring break sex comedy.

Music is your best entertainment value.

RegularKarate

Quote from: soixante on June 06, 2006, 04:09:54 PM
They should get Burt Reynolds, and a new title.

Hands on a Hardbody sounds like a bad 80's spring break sex comedy.

That was the name of the doc

modage

Quote from: eward on April 28, 2006, 08:08:11 AM
fuck, i wish i could go.  i don't think i'll have many more oppurtunity's to meet him.

well it looks like you wouldn't have had THIS opportunity to meet him either. 

Thursday, June 8
7:30    A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION with Virginia Madsen
(Robert Altman will not be able to appear in person.)
At the Directors Guild Theater, Manhattan

hope everyone with tix is a big virginia madsen fan...

meatwad

i called this morning and had my tickets replaced with tickets for the strangers with candy show that the museum of the moving image is doing on june 16th. colbert, sedaris and dinello will be there. so i'm a little happier then i was when i found out Altman could not make it

EDIT: Just found out Colbert won't be there  :(