Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

cine

Quote from: Bethie
Quote from: ABKman18yes, I understand the joke, but I still don't see the humor in it.  In my mind, it doesn't fall under the dark humor category, more like cruel to me. How is it funny to prophetize someone's death.  I'm trying to see it, but I can't.

There's nothing funnier than a funeral.

yeah, haven't you ever heard of "putting the 'fun' back in funeral"?

Rudie Obias

i just watched TANNER 88 and TANNER ON TANNER so i'm a huge robert altman kick right now.  which should i blind buy first, the criterion collection's 3 WOMEN or SECRET HONOR?  which one is worth watching first.  both are the same price.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

ABKman18

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Bethie
Quote from: ABKman18yes, I understand the joke, but I still don't see the humor in it.  In my mind, it doesn't fall under the dark humor category, more like cruel to me. How is it funny to prophetize someone's death.  I'm trying to see it, but I can't.

There's nothing funnier than a funeral.

yeah, haven't you ever heard of "putting the 'fun' back in funeral"?

ok, now you're getting somewhere....I like where this is going.

Quote from: rudiecorexxxi just watched TANNER 88 and TANNER ON TANNER so i'm a huge robert altman kick right now.  which should i blind buy first, the criterion collection's 3 WOMEN or SECRET HONOR?  which one is worth watching first.  both are the same price.

3 Women is a must for any Altman fan! I haven't seen Secret Honor yet, so don't know what to tell you there.

Alethia

they're both good but i'd go with secret honor first...

Rudie Obias

ok.  now i can't decide to get either VINCENT & THEO, McCABE & MRS. MILLER or IMAGES next.  robert altman is great!!  but i do understand he does have some misses and i don't wanna buy movies like DR. T & THE WOMEN or THE COMPANY again.  help!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

w/o horse

McCabe & Mrs. Miller.  Without a doubt.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

The Perineum Falcon

What's wrong with The Company?  :(

But, yes, McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a winner. :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

i agree.  not about the company.  and dont even bother with images.

ono

The Company is visual poetry.  Watch it again and let yourself be mesmerized.  Hypnotized, almost.  I still remember the dance in the rain.  And the umbrellas.

ABKman18

I love the Company as well.  that film feels like a blissful wonder to watch.

soixante

I think all of Altman's films are worth seeing -- except maybe Beyond Therapy.

I've always felt that Three Women is somewhat overrated.  I think California Split and Long Goodbye deserve a lot more attention.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: soixante
I've always felt that Three Women is somewhat overrated.

Couldn't agree with you more.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Altman to Direct Arthur Miller Play

Hollywood filmmaker Robert Altman is to direct the first British production of "Resurrection Blues," one of the last works by American playwright Arthur Miller.

Kevin Spacey, the artistic director of London's Old Vic Theatre, announce the collaboration on Thursday.

It is the first time that Altman, now 80, will direct for the London stage.

Spacey said "Resurrection Blues," a black comedy which had its world premiere in Minneapolis in 2002, "is a remarkable play, very funny and provocative and challenging."

"This is one of the last plays Arthur Miller was working on right up until the last weeks of his life," Spacey said.

"Arthur Miller had hoped it would premiere in London and was so pleased the possibility was in the air that it would come to the Old Vic because he loved this theater. We want to see that particular dream of Miller's come true."

Miller died Feb. 10 at age 89.

Set in a South American banana republic, "Resurrection Blues" is the story of a messianic rebel leader who is captured and sentenced to death by crucifixion. A U.S. production company decides to film the execution for TV.

Altman has more than 30 movies to his credit and five Academy Award nominations for directing, though he hasn't won an Oscar.

He recently completed shooting a movie based on humorist Garrison Keillor's popular radio show "A Prairie Home Companion" and plans a movie of "Resurrection Blues."

His other movies include "MASH," "Nashville," "The Player," and "Short Cuts."

In an interview with The Associated Press last month, Altman said he would go on making movies "as long as I last and as long as people allow me to do it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Quote from: Cinephilespoilers: altman will die during the production.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

Altman Helming Tortoise and the Hare
Source: Mary October 12, 2005

According to Screen Daily, Gosford Park director Robert Altman is returning to the UK to film The Tortoise and the Hare, due to shoot in London next year from a screenplay by Andrew Davies.

Emma Thompson is in talks to board the film, likely to be financed by Picturehouse. The project is being produced by Alan Ladd Jr.

"It's a relationship movie," Ladd commented. "There are four major parts and a couple of other very good parts, but it is not a big ensemble like 'Gosford Park'."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.