Natalie Portman

Started by MacGuffin, April 22, 2005, 02:49:48 AM

MacGuffin

Portman to buy Helm's 'Emporium'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Natalie Portman is in negotiations to star in "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" for Mandate Pictures. The film will mark the directorial debut of Zach Helm, who will direct from his own script. Helm recently wrote "Stranger Than Fiction" for Mandate, which goes into production Monday.

Richard Gladstein is the producer through his Film Colony shingle, along with James Garavente. Mandate's head of production Nathan Kahane and Mandate's creative executive Jim Miller are overseeing development of the film. Mandate is fully financing "Emporium" and handling worldwide sales for the film.

Set in a strange and magical toy store, "Emporium" is a story about growing up and believing in the unbelievable.

"We are thrilled to be back in business with Zach Helm on another truly original and life-affirming story and grateful that he has entrusted us again to help bring his magic to the screen," Kahane said. "It is a testament to Zach's voice that we are in negotiations with Natalie."

"Zach is a unique and talented writer, and I'm thrilled to be working with him on what I imagine will be the first of many films he'll be directing," Gladstein said. "Natalie's response to the script has been brilliant, and she is the ideal actor around whom to build a wonderful ensemble."

Portman most recently was seen in Mike Nichols' "Closer," for which she received an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress after winning a Golden Globe in the same category. Portman has starred as the female lead, Queen Amidala, in George Lucas' blockbuster "Star Wars" prequels and next can be seen reprising her role in "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith." Portman's credits include Zach Braff's "Garden State." She is currently shooting "V for Vendetta" and will shoot "Emporium" after completing "Goya's Ghosts."

Sony Pictures recently acquired Helm's "Stranger Than Fiction" from Mandate and will release it next year. Helm also is writing "The Disassociate," which is being developed for producer Lindsay Doran. Helm is the author of the plays "Last Chance for a Slow Dance" and "Good Canary."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

she has a thing for zach's.  she is like a more expensive version of keira knightley.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Portman and Bana flirting with 'Boleyn'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Natalie Portman and Eric Bana are in final negotiations to topline Columbia Pictures' "The Other Boleyn Girl." Justin Chadwick has signed on to direct the historical drama, which is based on a novel by Philippa Gregory.

The story revolves around the ferociously ambitious Boleyn sisters, Mary and Anne (Portman), who are rivals for the bed and heart of 16th century English King Henry VIII (Bana). Peter Morgan ("The Last King of Scotland") adapted the screenplay.

Shooting is set to begin in late September in Europe.

BBC Films, which originally acquired book rights and made a 2003 telefilm starring Natascha McElhone, also is a producer on the film. Alison Owen, who partnered with BBC to make a big-screen version of the story, will serve as a producer on the Columbia project alongside BBC's David Thompson. Scott Rudin, who set the film up with Columbia, will executive produce. Focus Features has the option to acquire international rights.

Sony's Amy Baer and Rachel O'Connor are overseeing for the studio.

Portman recently toplined "V for Vendetta." The Oscar-nominated actress' ("Closer") credits include "Free Zone," "Garden State" and "Cold Mountain."

Bana, who most recently starred in Steven Spielberg's "Munich," next appears in Curtis Hanson's "Lucky You."

Chadwick's helming credits include last year's "Bleak House," the BAFTA-winning TV series based on a Charles Dickens' novel. "Boleyn" marks his first feature film
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek237

Does anyone here happen to have Nat's personal E-mail or any kind of address so I can ask her to marry me?

pete

you are one of those assholes that gives internet a creepy edge.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

in case you all missed it..

Quote from: Pubrick in a long lost thread on July 04, 2006, 08:43:35 PM
from now on we will no longer be activating users with numbers in their names.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

Luckily I signed up a few years ago then, eh. And luckily I'm certifiably sane, but just happen to be in love with Natalie Portman. So sorry if you can't appreciate the fact that one day we will get married on top of a  glorious mountain.

But oddly enough, tonight when I went to the movies and picked up a Tribute magazine, in the readers writing in section somebody asked for her address, too. So though it may not be for the intent of marriage proposal, I can sleep soundly knowing I'm not the only "asshole" who wants to contact her.

So in case anyone else is interested:

Natalie Portman
c/o International Creative Management (ICM)
8942 Wilshire Blvd.,
Beverly Hills, CA 90210,
USA

..Hey, it's a start.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek237 on July 13, 2006, 10:42:12 PM
Luckily I signed up a few years ago then, eh.

it's never too late to right a wrong.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

Wow. I can take a joke and all but that really was mean. And so uncalled for.

Pubrick

tell someone who cares

Natalie Portman
c/o International Creative Management (ICM)
8942 Wilshire Blvd.,
Beverly Hills, CA 90210,
USA
under the paving stones.

Derek237

With quick wit like that, how can I argue?

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman eyes screen version of Israel book

Hollywood actress Natalie Portman has expressed interest in directing a film version of Israeli writer Amos Oz's internationally acclaimed autobiography, a production spokesman said on Thursday.

Portman, 25, who is best known for her starring roles in the recent Star Wars trilogy, may also act in "A Tale of Love and Darkness" if it is brought to the big screen, Jerusalem Capital Studios spokesman Danny Levy told Reuters.

"JCS has met with Portman to discuss the possibility of her participating in and directing a film version of the book," he said.

"A Tale of Love and Darkness" describes Oz's upbringing in Jerusalem amid the fighting during which the Jewish state was founded. Israeli media said Portman was interested in playing Oz's mother, who committed suicide when the author was a youth.

Portman was born in Jerusalem and speaks Hebrew. In 2005 she appeared in "Free Zone," a road movie by Israeli director Amos Gitai that explored the tensions between Arabs and Jews in the Holy Land.

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Try this:

natalieportman@aol.com

Music is your best entertainment value.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

If she has AOL, she's an idiot.