John Boorman

Started by Weak2ndAct, March 23, 2005, 03:52:20 PM

Weak2ndAct

Okay, so I'm so mega-excited about this news, I debated where I should put this, but discovered Boorman doesn't have a thread, so... here it is:

Coming this July on dvd:

Point Blank (1967)
Based on Donald E. Westlake's novel The Hunter, Point Blank is an edgy neo-noir that merges a classic revenge story with imaginative New Wave style. Directed by John Boorman (Deliverance), Point Blank stars Lee Marvin in full anti-hero mode as a thief out for payback. The film also features an outstanding supporting cast that includes Angie Dickenson, Carroll O'Connor and Keenan Wynn.

DVD special features include:
Commentary by directors John Boorman and Steven Soderbergh
Vintage Featurettes: The Rock Part 1 and The Rock Part 2
Theatrical Trailer

I dunno who else cares, but for my money this is one of the greatest films ever, a brilliant revenge flick.  The movie's been languishing OOP for years and it's near impossible to find a VHS or LD.  Occasionally the movie will turn up on TCM in scope, but showings are few and far between.  The commentary sounds great too, considering Soderbergh's riff on 'Blank' in making 'The Limey.'

Anyone else here like Boorman?  Besides the obvious 'Deliverance,' some of his others like 'The General,' 'Hell in the Pacific' (albeit for the surprising truncated ending), and 'Hope and Glory' ain't too shabby either.  'Exorcist 2' ranks up there as an all time disaster, though insanely watchable.

MacGuffin

Awesome news about Point Blank. I'm sure that will be as excellent a commentary as Soderbergh's discussion with Mike Nichols on the Catch 22 DVD.

Quote from: Weak2ndActAnyone else here like Boorman?  Besides the obvious 'Deliverance,' some of his others like 'The General,' 'Hell in the Pacific' (albeit for the surprising truncated ending), and 'Hope and Glory' ain't too shabby either.  'Exorcist 2' ranks up there as an all time disaster, though insanely watchable.

No love for Excalibur?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: MacGuffinNo love for Excalibur?
File that under 'ashamed to have not seen it yet'.

soixante

Finally.  I've been waiting for Point Blank to get on DVD since the inception of DVD's in 1997.  Point Blank is one of the best films of the 60's.

Boorman is great -- Deliverance is one of my favorite films.  Excalibur, Hope and Glory, The General are all quite good.  Even his misfires, like Zardoz and Exorcist II, are more interesting than most "good" films.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Weak2ndAct

MacGuffin

Warner has announced a new Deliverance: 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition for release on 9/18 in DVD (SRP $19.97), Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD versions (SRP $28.99 each). Extras on all three versions will include audio commentary by director John Boorman, 5 featurettes (including Deliverance: The Beginning, Deliverance: The Journey, Deliverance: Betraying the River, Deliverance: Delivered and The Dangerous World of Deliverance) and the film's theatrical trailer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks