Sam Mendes

Started by TenseAndSober, February 27, 2003, 10:51:50 PM

ono

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyIf you read the original script it was an entirely different film.
...no it wasn't.  I've read the script.  Unless, of course, you're talking about something other than the shooting script, but from what I can tell, the version Alan Ball wrote is what was published, give or take a shot or two.  That's beside the point, though.  American Beauty was one of those films I first loved.  So while my opinion of it has diminished as I've found other great films, I still think it's great.  And Road to Perdition was ... interesting ... yeah, that's the ticket.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: Pastor ParsleyIf you read the original script it was an entirely different film.
...no it wasn't.  I've read the script.  Unless, of course, you're talking about something other than the shooting script, but from what I can tell, the version Alan Ball wrote is what was published, give or take a shot or two.

It was different. The parts I remember: It had a bookending court trail. Also, Jane leaving Angela to walk Ricky home and the funeral procession passes them was originally them passing a car crash while Angela drives Ricky and Jane home.

http://scifiscripts.name2host.com/msol/A_B.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Oh, right.  Wow, thanks for the reminder.  Come to think of it, I think there was something, too, on the special features of the DVD about a trial where Ricky and Jane are prosecuted for Lester's murder.  I assume that's the one Mac's mentioned.

Raikus

Also on the special featurettes included, you'll see Spacey and Benning's interviews are being conducted on a courtroom set.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

kassius

I have to agree, Ball was the genius behind "American Beauty", not Mendes.  Mendes was choosen because he came cheap and although he did a good job, he was blessed with a great script.  I still love their movie, won't knock it, one of my favorites.

Then again... I thought Ball's future was bright, maybe the brightest in Hollywood.  Until I started to read Charlie Kaufman's scripts.  For now "American Beauty" appears to be an effort that will never be repeated and Ball's next project is "The M Word", teaming up with the former director of 1993's timeless classic "Super Mario Bros." Enough said...

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ckad79I have to agree, Ball was the genius behind "American Beauty", not Mendes.

Don't forget the late, great Conrad Hall.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ckad79For now "American Beauty" appears to be an effort that will never be repeated

But then there's that "Six Feet Under" thing which is so much better than "American Beauty" but that's TV so...

kassius

I need watch "6 Feet Under" more.

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: ckad79For now "American Beauty" appears to be an effort that will never be repeated

But then there's that "Six Feet Under" thing which is so much better than "American Beauty" but that's TV so...

kassius

There were a lot of people who made that film great. You bring up a good point.  Just the red door against the rain was something else, Conrad did some of his finest work on this one.

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: ckad79I have to agree, Ball was the genius behind "American Beauty", not Mendes.

Don't forget the late, great Conrad Hall.

SiliasRuby

I haven't heard anything new about Sam Mendes since last year when that Sweeny Todd adaptation popped up, and I thought that fell through so if anyone have any new news about his next project I'd really like to know....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

motherfucker

fuck american beauty
and that faggity plastic bag
if you got Guts
i say climb the agrocrag
get to the apex
find my jizzy latex
i done fuck them tits you suck
so go watch the matrix

peaces

tpfkabi

i think Mendes did a pretty good job on both films.
Hall did an amazing job(i hate that he's gone), but I'm pretty sure most of the visual things were from Mendes' head.......doesn't he storyboard every single shot?
we'll see how Mendes does without him on his next film.
i really like how Mendes uses sound though.
the sound for the gun down in RtP is really good.
and the finale of RtP.....you see the boy in the reflection........all is bleached white..........too white......then BANG........and you see the boy run away
Hall worked on part of Panic Room.....and while that has the same look......it doesn't have all of the symbolism in the frame that Mendes puts there........he must get it from his theater work.......and he's banging Kate man.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

El Duderino

Quote from: motherfuckerfuck american beauty
if you got Guts
i say climb the agrocrag
get to the apex
find my jizzy latex
so go watch the matrix

peaces

why?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

billybrown

Quote from: motherfuckerfuck american beauty
if you got Guts
i say climb the agrocrag
get to the apex
find my jizzy latex
so go watch the matrix

peaces

What a mook...  :roll:

Tictacbk

I really don't think I could say anything about Mendes until I see some of his work without the help of Conrad Hall.