Polish Brothers

Started by SoNowThen, September 05, 2003, 09:24:10 AM

SoNowThen

...deserve their own thread.

Wrote, directed, produced, starred in Twin Falls Idaho. Shot in 17 days for under $1 mill. Wonderful movie, looks great, actually cast a smoking hot woman for the hot girl role (whereas so many shitty independents try to pass off beasts as hot girls 'cause it's all they could get...)

did the same for Jackpot (one of the first major digital features), Shot in 15 days. Gotta see this one still...

now Northfork. Beautiful movie.

Are these guys not the new indie kings of USA, or what?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

Twin Falls Idaho, and jackpot are two movies I've wanted to see badly and just haven't yet.  And now with Northfork, which I'm dying to see, my list just grows longer.  Sorry I couldn't comment more.  Did you see The Good Thief.  They both appeared in it.  Pretty good movie too.

SoNowThen

yeah, I really enjoyed the Good Thief. Probably because I'm such a fan of Bob Le Flambeur, and the movie was such a loving update.

The Bros were cool in it!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

They were cool in it.  They've got a great, weird look.  I have to see the original.  I know the guy who does sound on their movies, and he said they're very cool to work with.

SoNowThen

Really? You should try to get on as an assistant or something.... that would be a hell of a learning experience.

What are they planning to do next?

jasper_window

I met the guy at The Workshops in Rockport Maine, and hung out with him for the 2 months I was there.  We kept in touch by email for awhile and then just time went by and we haven't been in contact for awhile.  But he taught me alot anyway.  Truthfully I'm more interested in writing/directing, and I'm working as an editor now on promos, commercials, and some dramatic stuff.

gob

Twin Falls Idaho and Jackpot are off the hook. Everyone should see them.

Northfork is a very ponderous film but a very good one nonetheless, also featuring the talents of James Woods, one of the most underrated actors of all time.

These guys are pretty great considering they write, direct, produce and often star in their movies. They certainly aren't layabouts.

According to imdb they've now done a movie with good ol' Billy Bob Thornton called The Astronaut Farmer.

'An astronaut (Thornton) of NASA is forced to retire so he can save his family farm. But he can't give up his dream of space travel and looks to build his own rocket, despite the government's threats to stop him.'

Jon Gries is also in it (legend)
Virginia Madsen
Bruce Dern
Tim Blake Nelson
Bruce Willis

Mighty fine cast they've got going on there.

Could be good, could be good.

Then after that they're doing a sci-fi movie next called I.D.

Looking forward to them both.