JOHN CARPENTER

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 02:13:35 PM

MacGuffin

John Carpenter talks The Thing 2
Source: Moviehole

Horror Master John Carpenter talks to the Australian version of Empire mag this month – who have an excellent horror issue out - and mentions an idea he has for a “Thing 2” as well as the chances of him returning to do another “Halloween”.

What’s with all these rumours about The Thing 2?
I have a great story for Part 2, which kicks off with the two characters left alive at the end of the first one. I’m interested in doing it. Unfortunately, I don’t think Universal is. Well, it’s interested in doing a sequel, but it’s not interested in having me direct it! You know, the studio will end up getting some commercials hotshot to do it, and that’ll be that. I don’t care. I’m certainly not going to beg. These people didn’t even get the original, despite the fact it’s my favourite movie of my own. Thing was that The Thing came out just after ET, which became a huge hit. The Thing’s message was the absolute opposite to E.T’s. Steven Spielberg said at the time that, “the audience needed an uplifting cry”. The guy was on the money. He’s an astute businessman that Spielberg. He had a huge hit on his hands, while we performed really poorly at the box office, so Universal then unceremoniously threw me off Firestarter, which I was prepping at the time. I could have done something really fucking good with that [sighs]. At least, though, The Thing has been really well received in its later years. That’s a pleasant finger up at Universal, and a comforting thought in my later years.

Given the recent Freddy vs Jason picture, how would Michael Myers do in a three-way battle royal?
He’d kick their asses. Well, the original Michael, my Michael, he would. The modern Michael wouldn’t stand a chance. These days all the Halloween movies have Xeroxed the formula to the point that it just isn’t scary anymore. It’s depressing.

Would you ever come back and direct a Halloween sequel?
Well, my motto is : never say never. I have some ideas up my sleeve that would fucking blow you away.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinWould you ever come back and direct a Halloween sequel?
Well, my motto is : never say never. I have some ideas up my sleeve that would fucking blow you away.

I want to believe that more than anything.  But if his sequels to The Thing and Halloween are like Escape From L.A., then we got a problem.

If he gets Dean Cundey back as DP, that would be a start.  He could film Michael Myers taking a shit for 2 hours and I'd go to see it.

socketlevel

whatever, john carpenter owned the fucking eighties.  there is no other action/adventure director that was as prolific and reliable as carpenter in that era.  i agree he's made some shitty films since then but if he could reunite keith david and kurt russell that would be a real reason to go back to the cinema.  on that note, he is the only one i would trust to do "the thing" sequel.  i fear the worst.  you see, the problem is that some stupid fanboy of the original would be the asshole the studios would get to direct this project.  fanboys can't make movies.  they'll get someone like that paul anderson son of a bitch.  it'll be ruined.  i'd still rather watch a ninties carpenter then any of the pieces of shit that dickhead made.

i want to here his idea for the sequel.  i also want my mind to be fucking blown away with the halloween film too.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Alethia

Quote from: hacksparrow
He could film Michael Myers taking a shit for 2 hours and I'd go to see it.

haha fucking quote of the week

Banky

Quote from: eward
He could film Michael Myers taking a shit for 2 hours and I'd go to see it.

haha fucking quote of the week

yeah but i agree with him

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: socketlevelfanboys can't make movies.

'cept this guy.

Quote from: socketlevelthey'll get someone like that paul anderson son of a bitch

Don't give them any ideas!

godardian

I'm more of an Attack on Precinct 13 guy than a Halloween guy, though both are definitely worthy. Kubrick apparently adored the former. [/img]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: godardianI'm more of an Attack on Precinct 13 guy than a Halloween guy, though both are definitely worthy. Kubrick apparently adored the former. [/img]

Assault on Precinct 13 is the one of the only two Carpenter movies I have yet to see (that I want to anyway; the other being They Live).  I caught about 10 minutes of it on IFC a few months back before passing out drunk one night.  I'm just going to have to pick them both up, sights unseen.

modage

Quote from: hacksparrowAssault on Precinct 13 is the one of the only two Carpenter movies I have yet to see (that I want to anyway; the other being They Live).
they're both good.  i havent seen Ghosts of Mars, Village of the Damned, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Christine, The Fog, or Dark Star.  any of those worth seeing?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i havent seen Ghosts of Mars, Village of the Damned, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Christine, The Fog, or Dark Star.  any of those worth seeing?

Christine is a must.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02they're both good.  i havent seen Ghosts of Mars, Village of the Damned, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Christine, The Fog, or Dark Star.  any of those worth seeing?

I've never seen all of Village of the Damned but what I saw wasn't too impressive.

The Fog, definitely.  It's no Halloween or The Thing but creepy nonetheless.  I saw it for the first time just a year or two ago and it creeped me out in the middle of the day.  It's got a campfire ghost story feel to it, which I really liked.

I saw Dark Star over 10 years ago and I barely remember it; I just remember laughing at it (it's kind of a spoof of 2001 as I recall).

Ghosts of Mars is crap but worth watching on cable for a laugh.  Ice Cube has the absolute BEST "Hasta la vista, baby"-type line of all time towards the end of the movie.

And as for Invisible Man and Christine, I love them but a LOT of people seem not to.  Christine is the better one of the two, definitely. It's not the best Stephen King film adaptation but I think that it's the only one that successfully captures the feel of reading a Stephen King novel.  

And Invisible Man gets a raw deal, IMHO.  I think that Chevy Chase was decent in it; he certainly wasn't bad.  It's fun but there is still something missing from it that keeps it from feeling completely like a Carpenter flick (I think it's the lack of Dean Cundey's cinematography myself).  But they're each worthwhile, I think.

modage

i know Christine is already on my list of movies to watch this october, but ill probably get around to seeing all of them since i like Carpenter.  even when he's bad, its SOOO bad its watchable because its funny.  when he misses, he misses BIG.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02even when he's bad, its SOOO bad its watchable because its funny.  when he misses, he misses BIG.

Oh, you're gonna LOVE Ghosts of Mars.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02even when he's bad, its SOOO bad its watchable because its funny.  when he misses, he misses BIG.

Oh, you're gonna LOVE Ghosts of Mars.

haha, actually i did see about 20 minutes of that on HBO, it was AWFUL.  :lol:

Ghostboy

Dark Star is awesome...you should totally check it out.