Mew

Started by Sigur Rós, May 28, 2003, 12:52:46 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Impressions after my first listen: Wow. It's pretty great. Breezy and fun. A profoundly beautiful, warm sound. And still 100% Mew.

I pretty much love everything except track 5.

They apparently wrote this album very quickly as an experiment. Well, the experiment worked. I do long for another "No More Stories," but this will do. This will do for sure. I think it's better than +/–. (Although it doesn't quite have a "Making Friends.")

Favorites at this moment:

Carry Me To Safety
Nothingness and No Regrets
Shoulders
The Wake of Your Life

Detecting some potentially new influences... Pink Floyd for sure... maybe Yeasayer. Ugh, this is just really good.

Jeremy Blackman

Guys. I can't stop listening to this album. I've delayed watching The Leftovers because I had to hear it again. That's serious.

(And yeah, it's better than the last album, easily.)

"In A Better Place" is maybe one of Mew's best songs. But in a very subtle way. Peaks for me starting at 1:27.

"The Wake of Your Life" is holding up and getting richer. It really fully blooms at 3:22. It's a minute and a half of lovely chord progression that, again, sounds like quintessential Mew.

"Ay Ay Ay," the one I didn't like, is actually decent. Just a little plain.

"Twist Quest" is the song they're pushing, but it's actually in the bottom 1/3 for me. Good melody, delightful instrumentation, very funky. But: Jonas's vocal is for some reason less emotive/sincere, and I think they could have done something better with the drums.

"Nothingness And No Regrets" provides a good summary of 2016: "We could have made it / I believe we faded / And soon the world will too"

"85 Videos" and "Zanzibar" were already pretty great, and they're still actively growing on me.

So yeah. It feels great to be not disappointed by something.

Jeremy Blackman

Somehow still growing on me. I think this is Mew's second best album. That seems crazy to say, but it really might be true.

Anyway, this is my best attempt at some kind of ranking, after a good number of listens:

Masterpieces
In a Better Place
Learn Our Crystals
Shoulders
85 Videos

Amazing
Carry Me To Safety
Nothingness and No Regrets
The Wake of Your Life
Zanzibar

Pretty great
Candy Pieces All Smeared Out