QT8: The First Eight (formerly "21 Years: Quentin Tarantino")

Started by wilberfan, October 21, 2019, 11:47:52 PM

wilberfan

Thank God this didn't suck.  The trailers made it look awful. 

There was, of course, a certain amount of dick-sucking (Tarantino's), but the behind-the-scenes stories (which is what I was hoping for) made up for it.  A lovely tribute to Sally Menke confirmed in my mind that her absence could explain my disdain for the films released without her contributions.  (I almost howled in agreement when someone was quoted in the film about how Sally would piss Quentin off by telling him he was being self-indulgent.)

I really enjoyed some of the stories shared, with Sam Jackson, Jamie Fox, Waltz, and Forster being particular standouts.   They didn't shy away from the whole Weinstein thing, either, nor the Uma Car Crash.  (I didn't realize the writer/director had to struggle to get the rights to the film back from the Weinstein's in the aftermath of his fall from power.)

Is it's one-night-only-via-FathomEvents theatrical release a step down from a "full" release, or is it a positive--given it could have gone straight-to-streaming? 

It also reminded me how and why I enjoyed his pre-Hateful films (Death Proof notwithstanding) and made me want to see things like Jackie Brown again on the big screen.

jenkins

oh good. i hope i lowered your expectations and that helped you feel satisfied. i can't imagine this topic expanding very much but i'm glad to hear your reaction

wilberfan

Yeah, I mostly wanted to just put it on the collective radar so everyone could give it a glimpse if they were interested... It's certainly no "Hearts of Darkness", but satisfying enough that I don't regret having made the effort to see it.  There were only about 30 of us in the theater--but I'm sure the Faithful will find it online when it comes around.