Christian Petzold

Started by wilder, July 02, 2012, 06:35:20 PM

Something Spanish

i'm assuming at the time Den of Thieves was the only movie he'd seen in 2018 and took that spot by default

wilder

Quote from: Something Spanish on December 02, 2018, 09:04:37 AM
i'm assuming at the time Den of Thieves was the only movie he'd seen in 2018 and took that spot by default

Petzold addresses this explicitly @ 28:40

wilder

Girish Shambu introduces the films of Christian Petzold

Longer 10-minute introduction available to view on The Criterion Channel

Jaimeen

David Ehrlich getting owned in the comment section for his LB review of Transit was so funny.

wilder

Petzold's new film Undine to premiere at Berlin

Quote from: The Film StageThe fairytale-inspired Undine finds him reteaming with Transit stars Paula Beer and Franz Rogowski, Cineuropa reports. Also starring Jacob Matschenz and Maryam Zaree, see a synopsis below for the film that kicked off production last week.
Quote from: CineuropaNamed after the water nymph that seduces men in a number of mythological tales, the German director's new movie will portray Undine (Paula Beer) as a history graduate who works as a guide in Berlin in the present day. After her partner (Jacob Matschenz) leaves her for another woman, she is cursed and compelled to kill the man who betrayed her and return to the waters she was once summoned from. Yet unlike the mythological character, in the film, Undine tries to defy her fate. Immediately after the break-up, she meets Christoph (Franz Rogowski), an industrial diver, and falls in love with him. The two have a wonderful time together until he realizes that she is running away from something and starts to feel betrayed.

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on January 29, 2020, 03:06:41 PM
Petzold's new film Undine to premiere at Berlin

Quote from: The Film StageThe fairytale-inspired
Quote from: CineuropaNamed after the water nymph that seduces men in a number of mythological tales, [...] return to the waters she was once summoned from.

@WorldForgot

WorldForgot

There's something in the water...

Transit is the only film of his I've scene, but I very much enjoyed it (evocative, quiet, politically electric), so, yeah, I'm excited.

wilder

wilder

Quote from: IndieWireNext up, Petzold is shooting "The Lucky Ones," to star Beer. It is a racy, sexy script written during the pandemic about "a group of young people who are on holiday in the Baltic Sea," he said. "It's a part of Germany with big forests, like the California redwoods. They're in a dangerous situation where there will be fires in the forest and so I've written a script about the fire of desire in their hearts and the desire in the forests out of control. It's something we are part of, this ecological world, not just our bodies and our minds."

The film will wait to go into production next summer when safety protocols are looser "because it's about love and skin, and touching and kissing," said Petzold. "We can't do it with a test each morning."

Source

WorldForgot

Oh, hell yeah. I love that premise for Petzold's style. Excited.

wilder

May 30, 2022

Plain Archive (South Korea) is putting out a Christian Petzold box set containing Barbara (2012), Phoenix (2014), Transit (2018), and Undine (2020)

wilder

A Christian Petzold entry in the Conversations with Filmmakers series was published in June