Doncha just love it?

Started by SoNowThen, May 30, 2003, 11:34:42 AM

SoNowThen

What is it about our favorite movies, where we just get that amazing rush of emotions after seeing them, and then we spend the next couple hours/days/weeks walking on air? It's truly a wonderful experience that I can honestly say doesn't happen with anything else in my life (well, except for a few times with pretty girls, but that's usually followed almost directly with intense mental anguish and suffering). The last couple I remember were Walkabout on dvd, and All The Real Girls in the theatre.

Please share your so-called life changing film experiences.

I'll start off: I was at the brand new mega-cinema a few years back, with a large group of friends. They were trying to decide what movie to go see, and it was getting late. I suggested Eyes Wide Shut, which was met with frowns. I figured, "fuck it", I wanna see this, but none of them would budge. So I marched in by myself, and had one of the Hands Down best movie watching experiences of my life. Great film, perfect for the mood I was in, small audience of polite theatre-goers. After the movie was over (about 2 am), I went out into the nearly-deserted parking lot of the mall and drove home. As I drove down the empty streets, all I could do was replay the movie in my head. The way the streetlights reflected off my windows reminded me exactly of the scene where Tom Crusie is taking the taxi over the bridge. Everything seemed perfectly in tune, yet just as haunting as the film. This seems like rambling, but damn, nothing feels quite like watching a great Night Odessey movie and then wondering off into the night.

Movies, I love you.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

i saw vertigo in a revival theatre when i was eleven, having not seen it since like the age of 2, and i remember just everything about that movie sucker punched me, i came out with tears in my eyes it was such a rush......that has happened with many more films since, but i still consider vertigo to be the greatest motion picture of all time.  movies, i love you as well.

godardian

When I was 16, my "cool" aunt and uncle (as opposed to my hopelessly old-fashioned, non-movie-aware parents) took me to see Husbands and Wives. I think it was the first weekend it opened. I'd seen other Woody Allen films on video, but this was the first one I'd seen when it was actually released, and I just loved it. All the characters were so tormented, all the situations so complex, all the settings so romantic and beautiful, and at that time the editing and camera style were a revelation to me. That's absolutely the first movie I remember coming out of and feeling elated. Like I'd just been on the most exhilarating ride at the carnival. Like I wanted to go again and again. And I did. I still pull out the DVD frequently.

The other one was Safe. I actually saw that on video. It was my first real exposure to Julianne Moore, and I thought the film was so brilliantly constructed. It was the first time I was so aware of a film as a construct, I think... there was such a sense of acuity and precision to it. It really disoriented me; at that time, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen. I felt my attention being drawn to different things about it than the things it would normally be drawn to in more conventional movies... I was really in awe and quite obsessed by it. In a lot of ways, I still am. It really fits well with my own feelings and concerns about identify and conformity and how vulnerable we are in our search for answers to whatever in our lives and in our world cause us pain.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Neato :!:

Since as some of you may well know i don't go to the theaters much but my example is not life changing or what have you but it gave me the rush you explained about in your first  post  on this topic.  It  was when i saw -Gangs of New York- I LOVED this film (which imo deserved the acad. not -Chicago-  :roll:)This film was everything i hoped it to be.the whole time watching it  i was glued i could not believe it .  When it opens with the gans fighting i got the chills the whole damn time. i could go own of course but i will not since i think that this is not a board favorite  :wink:.  But i do have to mention daniel's performance i have never watched an actor that gave me the "treatrical filmgoer rush"(TFR) until this performance...everything about his performance was gold(solid) even...down...to...the...way...he...walks.
This piece of art never got what it deserves  :!: such an underated masterpiece(imo) and a great theater experience.

SoNowThen

Quote from: NEON MERCURYNeato :!:

Since as some of you may well know i don't go to the theaters much but my example is not life changing or what have you but it gave me the rush you explained about in your first  post  on this topic.  It  was when i saw -Gangs of New York- I LOVED this film (which imo deserved the acad. not -Chicago-  :roll:)This film was everything i hoped it to be.the whole time watching it  i was glued i could not believe it .  When it opens with the gans fighting i got the chills the whole damn time. i could go own of course but i will not since i think that this is not a board favorite  :wink:.  But i do have to mention daniel's performance i have never watched an actor that gave me the "treatrical filmgoer rush"(TFR) until this performance...everything about his performance was gold(solid) even...down...to...the...way...he...walks.
This piece of art never got what it deserves  :!: such an underated masterpiece(imo) and a great theater experience.

I agree with you sooo much on this. Such an underrated movie (especially here). Yeah, this would have been memorable for me, had I not had to tell some fucking stupid teenagers to shut up at least six times. The last time I actually stood up, and about 4 other people stood up with me and told them to get out. It was great, but this was already an hour in.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: NEON MERCURYNeato :!:

I agree with you sooo much on this. Such an underrated movie (especially here). Yeah, this would have been memorable for me, had I not had to tell some fucking stupid teenagers to shut up at least six times. The last time I actually stood up, and about 4 other people stood up with me and told them to get out. It was great, but this was already an hour in.

man that sucks with all the talking especially during GONY ...but glad to see you agree  how damn  under rated it is.   I canot wait for JULY 1, 2003 for this  to hit the dvd shelves in stores.  This and PDL are my two fav upcoming summer releases.

Alethia

i think its underrated as well, but everyone in my theater loved it, they clapped their asses off afterwards.  nobody claps after movies anymore - well, very rarely.  isnt that sad?  i always clap if i like it, and they look at me like im retarded, specially after PDL cuz i think only me and my two friends liked it out of everyone there (or at least those who stayed through the whole thing).  what is the world coming to?

polkablues

Quote from: ewardi think its underrated as well, but everyone in my theater loved it, they clapped their asses off afterwards.  nobody claps after movies anymore - well, very rarely.  isnt that sad?  i always clap if i like it, and they look at me like im retarded, specially after PDL cuz i think only me and my two friends liked it out of everyone there (or at least those who stayed through the whole thing).  what is the world coming to?

My opinion towards clapping after movies:

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY???

Just curious.  I've always found it puzzling behavior.  For whose benefit are you applauding?  Is it on the off-chance that the director is sitting incognito in the back of the audience?  Or is it more along the lines of people who shout suggestions to the characters, all the while knowing that they will never be heard?
My house, my rules, my coffee

SoNowThen

Sometimes clapping after a film can be, in a strange way, the one response that everybody can share together one last time before they leave the theatre. Rather than running up to each person individually and exclaiming "oh you loved that? Me too!", we can share in a good clap.

As opposed to sharing the clap, which is seldom good. Unless you give it to some chick you hate. And she spreads it to a bunch of other people you hate. I would imagine that would be pretty sweet.

polkablues

Okay, I'll buy that.  But I still get to be the guy who looks at you guys like you're retarded when you clap.  That's the experience I get to share together... with myself.   8)
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

ill be looking forward to seing you in the multiplex sometime soon.......

bonanzataz

i'm usually a clap starter. when i saw jp3, i got the whole theater to clap for every individual preview that showed up. and this was an imax theater baby! then when the movie started, nobody clapped. it was funny. it was my greatest moment as a clap starter.

a fucking imax theater, for chrissakes!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls