Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

I'm still wincing at "Soggy Bottom".

pynchonikon

He should go to Cannes only if they promise to give him the Palme d'Or.
But I also agree with the distributors that Venice/Telluride/Toronto/NYFF are the golden ticket based on some of the last decade's most prestigious titles/Oscar hopefuls
(it's no coincidence that the last 8 BP winners screened in at least 3 of these 4 festivals)

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on May 05, 2021, 01:30:48 PM

I've lived with that title for so long now, that I'll wince if they change it.  I've actually become fond of it--I have some positive associations with it.

Drenk

That's what the soggy bottom said.
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on May 05, 2021, 02:34:06 PM
Quote from: Drill on May 05, 2021, 01:30:48 PM
I've lived with that title for so long now, that I'll wince if they change it.  I've actually become fond of it--I have some positive associations with it.

I'm personally hoping he ends up going with "Dry Top."
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Alethia

No love for the potential "Night of Counting the Years"?

Tdog

Quote from: eward on May 05, 2021, 04:49:54 PM
No love for the potential "Night of Counting the Years"?

Soggy Bottom has definitely grown on me, but yeah I'd rather a different title!

Jeremy Blackman

I remember when we all thought "Phantom Thread" was super dumb. That grew on me. Not sure about this one, though. Does your average modern filmgoer even know what "soggy bottom" means?

For God's sake, not even Google knows. Search "soggy bottom meaning" and you get this, which is definitely not true:

Quotethe term 'soggy bottom' was coined by The Great British Bake Off stars Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry in 2010

wilberfan

Dudes, trust me, "Soggy Bottom" will make sense in the context of the film--just as "Phantom Thread" did to that movie.

I have a couple of theories on what it could refer to--and there's one in particular that just makes me smile.  Fingers-crossed I'm correct.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wilberfan on May 05, 2021, 06:35:57 PM
Dudes, trust me, "Soggy Bottom" will make sense in the context of the film--just as "Phantom Thread" did to that movie.

I have a couple of theories on what it could refer to--and there's one in particular that just makes me smile.  Fingers-crossed I'm correct.

Care to elaborate  pal

wilberfan

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 05, 2021, 05:36:27 PM
I remember when we all thought "Phantom Thread" was super dumb. That grew on me.

I was pro Phantom Thread from the beginning. As for Soggy Bottom, I have a feeling it'll stick (with some *evidence* encouraging my feeling) and I'm here for it.

Heisenberg

I feel like "Soggy Bottom" is meant to refer to some sort of hangout spot or some other kind of fictional place that the main character and his friends frequent regularly. That's my prediction on the meaning of that title. Sort of like "Moonrise Kingdom" or "St. Elmo's Fire".

wrongright

I think using the same pun as the Coen brothers is pretty lame. I just think of the Soggy Bottom boys.

PaulElroy35