Barry (Bill Hader, Henry Winkler, HBO)

Started by ono, March 10, 2018, 12:55:36 PM

ono

New HBO show with Bill Hader and Henry Winkler.  Looks pretty damn any good.  Premieres March 25th after Silicon Valley.

IndieWire Article

Tictacbk

wilberfan

Agreed.  Last night's episode was one of the best so far, I think.

jonas

Finally watching this, almost finished with Season 2. I'm really loving it, unexpected turns, funny and just plain entertaining.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

wilberfan

I really enjoyed Season 1 of this show and was quite looking forward to Season 2.  Unfortunately, the second season became less of that which I enjoyed in Season 1 (getting to know the characters) and more of what I didn't enjoy as much--the chaos and action.  It feels like 2 different shows squashed together now.   

Having said that, I did enjoy the insanity of the Wild Karate Girl ep. 

csage97

Finally got around to checking out the first season of this show. It was really enjoyable. Some hilarious moments, some of them kind of kitschy as you'd expect from a Bill Hader production, but in a really good way for the most part and well-timed. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things the bald-headed Chechen said, though I started to become too aware by the end of the eight episodes that he was slotted into a comic relief role and they kept doing the same kinds of jokes with his character. It was kind of sweet that he turned out to be on Barry's side by the end, but I did role my eyes at his lines in by the seventh or eighth episode.

Another gripe I had was with how Barry ended up with Sally halfway through the eighth episode and seemed to be in a totally idyllic place, even though Sally's character took a major turn halfway through the season. One interpretation is that he was possibly able to come to terms with his flawed and incomplete view of Sally and establish a relationship with her in light of the terms of this new perspective, but the show just didn't address the issue at all. It's a shame too as I was totally duped by Sally's character change. I was hooked that she was a bit naive but joyfully persistent in her optimism and readiness to confront life's challenges ... and then that subtle balance shifted to flightiness and self-absorption. It's all too often that we meet someone and perhaps look at them in a favorable light, seeing only the haloed traits that are maybe so apparent because of our warped views and our personal needs, only to have the rug pulled out from under us and the reality come crashing in. It's how we deal with these things that defines us in some way. I just felt the show jumped ahead way too fast in this respect, even though I can fill in the gaps, I guess.

I'm looking forward to watching season two, although I do side with wilberfan in that I'd prefer more character exploration instead of action.

ono

WorldForgot

I wonder if there are Barry fanz that think like 'man, I miss what this show used to be.' It certainly has taken a turn. But the show this has become over the last season and a half iz much more dynamic and interesting, at least to my tastes. All the subplots have become as twisted as Barry's own. Now it feelz like a farce on the type of people, the psychologies and excuses, rationalizations, that live in LA, more so than a spoof or satire of the entertainment industry.

from ShoutBox:
Drenk: I suppose most of the cars are CGI, but I can't see it.
Drenk: Not CGI, but copy pasted
WorldForgot: yeah it's probably a composite shot, a really good one!
polkablues: I'm almost 100% certain the majority of the cars in those shots are CGI, not just composited footage or 2d elements
polkablues: When the motorcycle passes by, the shadow of the rider deforms to the contours of the cars. That would be pretty simple to do with CGI, but mind-bogglingly difficult to do otherwise
polkablues: Well, not really difficult so much as massively time-consuming. You'd pretty much have to go through and warp the shadow frame by frame as it moves along the cars
WorldForgot: Ahh word!
WorldForgot: Someone I follow on twitter mentioned there's BTS out there, might have been attached at the end of the broadcast ep but I've not seen the making of footage yet
polkablues: oh nice, I'd be really intrigued to watch that
polkablues:

polkablues: Real practical cars and stunt. I'm surprised and impressed!  :shock:
polkablues: There are actually some CG cars earlier in the scene, when the bikes are entering the freeway, but the stopped cars that they're riding between are all real

Don't think it's a reach to say this show will be scoring some Emmys. And even if it doesn't, Alec Berg, Bill Hader, Sarah Goldberg, Winkler, and the entire production crew can be really proud of their work here.