Box Office Disappointments

Started by Finn, April 09, 2004, 08:49:48 AM

Finn

There have been multiple cases of movies not doing as well as expected. For example, I was surprised that "Eternal Sunshine" and "Peter Pan didn't do as well as I thought they would (particularly since they were uncommonly good movies). It seemed like "Magnolia" didn't so as well as I thought it would on the time of it's release too.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Kal

Movies that are not for everyone... Eternal Sunshine is a clear case of the dumb-people-of-America who are affraid of what they dont understand... or kids who cant get into the theatre but they wouldnt bug their parents to go because it doesnt seem so 'cool'.

Eternal Sunshine had Jim Carrey on it, which is always a huge plus. It had Mr. Frodo which right now should be a good plus. Kate Winslet and Kirsten Dunst who are well known beautiful actresses... and all the reviews were A+

Then movies like The League of Extroardinary Gentelmen that you see the trailer and want to throw up or some of that shit make more money... even though also the reviews are terrible...

Welcome to Hollywood baby...

©brad

dude, box office discussions are so booooooring and equally meaningless. and we've done it before, and it doesn't matter, and i'm leaving.

Finn

the masses are asses...always have, always will
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Chester R Pennywinkle

Quote from: ©braddude, box office discussions are so booooooring and equally meaningless. and we've done it before, and it doesn't matter, and i'm leaving.

This fine chap raises a good point. This is quite similar to the Monday morning conference meetings in which my underlings discuss the recent rises and falls in importation tariffs. A rather bore if I do say so myself.
Rather...

Finn

modage

Quote from: andykEternal Sunshine had Jim Carrey on it, which is always a huge plus. It had Mr. Frodo which right now should be a good plus. Kate Winslet and Kirsten Dunst who are well known beautiful actresses... and all the reviews were A+.
yeah but if you havent noticed the masses have radar for these kinds of movies.  it doesnt matter how big a stars are in the film, they can TELL when its something left of center and they aint going.  see: julia roberts in Full Frontal, George Clooney in Solaris, both in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine and soon to be Nicole Kidman in Dogville, etc. etc. and on and on.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

I think pretty much every movie gains its money back, internationally if not domestically.

Pas

Quote from: Chest RockwellI think pretty much every movie gains its money back, internationally if not domestically.

True. Financing movie is a fucking good investment since really early on.

Kal

Not really... if it was do you think it would be so hard to get financing or so easily controlled by the major Studios?

Its very risky... and it costs the same money that you need to build a condo... so most investors consider that a safe investment and decide not to put money in movies.

Home video now made it easier to get money back as its amazing how much they sell on DVD, but theatrically its very hard.

Myxo

There are two kinds of unsucessful films if you ask me.

There are those films which are fantastic, but don't make any money.

Then, there are those films which just plan suck, and don't many any money.

People who make the first kind of film, end up releasing a film which makes a ton of money. Directors establish themselves and get a fan base going, and eventually they release something which is a bit more acceptable to a wide range of audiences.

I was dissapointed in "Signs" though. Thats what M. Night did with that film. He wanted to take his success at a smaller level and try to bring it to a wider audience. I think he failed at it. I didn't like Signs at all.

On the other hand, I thought Unbreakable was fucking amazing. I think it's the best film he's released to date. The Sixth Sense is good, but I love Unbreakable as my favorite.

Chest Rockwell

Who else thinks The Alamo will be added to this list?

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Chest RockwellWho else thinks The Alamo will be added to this list?

I do, I never really cared about it.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: Chest RockwellWho else thinks The Alamo will be added to this list?

I do, I never really cared about it.

No one outside of Texas does, as this weekend proved.