Dune: Part Two

Started by WorldForgot, April 25, 2023, 03:22:06 PM

WorldForgot

Today's Cinemacon brings the first official details of
DUNE: Part Two

Variety reports:

QuoteTimothée Chalamet has assumed his rightful place as Muad'Dib, prophet of the Fremen in the first trailer for "Dune: Part Two."

"In the first movie Paul Atredis is a student...we really see Paul Atreides become a leader here," Chalamet said at CinemaCon on Tuesday, teasing a first look at the sci-fi epic.

And with that newfound power comes the thrill of riding the massive sandworms that populate the remote planet where "Dune" takes place (something brought stunningly to life in the new footage).

When we last checked in with Paul Atreides, he and his mother, Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), had fled into the desert of Arrakis, having been betrayed by Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. After being taken in by the Fremen, the native inhabitants of the planet, Paul is now fully a part of the resistance. In a sign of how much has changed, Paul's eyes are now icy blue, just as the rest of the Fremen's are (excessive consumption of spice, a psychotropic drug that imparts heightened awareness, is the cause of the dramatically colored peepers). As fans of the book by Frank Herbert know, Paul is blessed/cursed with visions of the future, giving him great power.

Those aren't the only changes, Zendaya's character Chani, a peripheral figure in the first movie, is now ready for war and assuming a much more important role. And Ferguson has left her royal ways behind her, looking grittier while covered with face tattoos. Zendaya says the film will explore the burgeoning relationship between Paul and Chani. "These are still just two young people who are trying to grow up and fall in love and live," she told the audience at CinemaCon.

Denis Villeneuve returns to direct "Dune: Part Two," which brings back Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista and Javier Bardem and introduces new characters played by Austin Butler and Florence Pugh. Villeneuve shot the entire film with IMAX cameras. He said he built new sets in order "to avoid repetition."

"We went to all new locations... everything is new in the film," Villeneuve promised.

"Dune: Part Two" is set to be released on November 3, 2023.

The original Analog magazine serialized stories that became the book "Dune" are archived online, thanks to Luminist League

polkablues

QuoteAustin Butler

Dune Part 2? More like "Dune a pretty bad Elvis impression," am I right? (I am)
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

New images via Vanity Fair

HACKANUT

Pugh and Seadoux look killer. Wish they would have included a pic of Walken as the Emperor but I'm sure DV is keeping that even more under wraps than Butler's look.
Pretty satisfying to seeing this version of Paul, too. Very close to much of the fan art out there.

WorldForgot

That Variety piece calls it the "saga's conclusion" which I sort of wish weren't true - but i know a trilogy wasn't always in the cards.

HACKANUT

Well, I wouldn't quite count out Dune Messiah being made in the future. DV seems to be content with the slow game. I think he said he wants to do Rendezvous with Rama next and then Messiah. Hopefully!
There's a decent time jump between the first two Dune books and it seems he wants to earn the age-up somewhat realtime.
No Spoilers for the books here but doing Dune part 1, 2, and Messiah would be a killer "Paul Trilogy". Venturing into Children of Dune might as well start a whole new trilogy! And I'm sure DV will leave that to someone else.

WorldForgot

Spoiler: ShowHide
B&W Flashbacks for Feyd's past?

HACKANUT

Quote from: WorldForgot

spoiler]B&W Flashbacks for Feyd's past?[/spoiler]

Seems like it. Probably a nice way to cover stuff that technically happened during the first movie.

RudyBlatnoyd

Despite its technical accomplishments, I'm afraid the first one left me rather cold. Nevertheless, inspired by that new trailer, I have to say that it's nice to be reminded there are still a few filmmakers working in the blockbuster sphere who remember that cinema is meant to be a visual medium...

HACKANUT

WorldForgot

Dune: Part Two delayed to 2024 Amid On-Going Actor's Strike

QuoteIn a major change to the November box office calendar, Denis Villeneuve's highly anticipated Dune: Part Two has been pushed to next year amid the ongoing actors' strike, which prevents stars from promoting their projects.

Legendary and Warner Bros.' big-budget sequel was slated to open Nov. 3 in North America timed to its global rollout, but will instead debut domestically on March 15, 2024. In a twinned move, Legendary and Warners pushed back Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire one month to April 12, 2024 (it previously was set to open on Dune's new March 15 date).

Lastly, pushing the next Godzilla installment resulted in relocating New Line and Warner Bros. Pictures Animation's Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim from April 12, 2024 to Dec. 13, 2024. (New Line's live-action LOTR tentpoles were a December staple.)

Dune 2 becomes the biggest casualty to date in terms of the strike's impact on the 2023 theatrical release calendar, and isn't great news for theater owners. But the impact could have been far worse. Tellingly, Warners is keeping its three big December movies on the calendar: Wonka (Dec. 15), Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 20) and The Color Purple (Dec. 25).

Insiders say Warner Bros. is committed to theatrical, and after the upheaval of the pandemic, it is hesitant to move things wholesale, even amid the uncertainty of the dual WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.

WorldForgot