Production Log: 2003

Started by Jake_82, July 19, 2003, 03:52:08 PM

Ghostboy

I thought it was great, for the most part. My only criticism would be that there is little rhyme or reason in your editing.  For example, you go back to certain shots for no real reason, and there is very little progression as to what's going on. You could easily cut a minute or two out of it and it would be even better. But beyond that, I love it. Cutting to black every few seconds really works, and I liked how the title was dropped in there so quickly (and I agree that the lack of titles and dialogue works well). The cutting in the library footage was well done. And you've got some really gorgeous composition. Ebeaman is going to be jealous because it has a very David Gordon Green feel. If you did a little bit of color correction to some of that stuff, it would be incredible...also, when you get back to shooting, you should shoot more stuff at magic hour, since it looks like a lot of the film is an exterior.

In your opinion, do you think the film so far lives up to what is evoked in the trailer?

ono

Quote from: OmegaSlackerAnyone know what song that was in there?
Quote from: Jake_82ps- the song is "Chans" by Kent

Jake_82

Hey, I'm still on vacation but I have access to internet connection for a bit. My flight out here was delayed for 24 hours, so that gave me time to shoot a few more scenes (which I'll document when I get the time in a couple days), and I was bored the day before so I decided to cut this "trailer" just for fun, which explains the pointlessness of it... I only had filmed 1/4 of the 30-page script when I cut this, so I didn't have much material, ended up cutting back to random things like Ghostboy said... I cut the song down to size first, thinking I would have enough footage to last almost two minutes, but I didn't really, and I was too lazy to go back and cut the song down more.

Speaking of David Gordon Green, both his movies are on the top of my too-see list, I almost rented George Washington a week ago-- I had to go across town to a blockbuster, and they only had a vhs, which pissed me off greatly since my vcr is currently screwed up. Also, the color correction, I did play around with that for a couple scenes and was greatly pleased with the results, but I was against the clock so I didn't delve too far into it... I will make the final product look all cool though. :-d

I'm really not sure whether the final product will be as good as any trailer I can edit, since right now my editing skills are better than my directorial skills, and I don't have much to look at because the scenes are all in different parts of the movie.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, and I'll be back in a few days and starting shooting again!
your reality is at the end of your dream

ono

It's been way too long.  Hope you haven't burnt out already.  Update plz!

Jake_82

I'm in the incredibly time-consuming process of moving to the next town over, so shooting is on hiatus... we have shot two more days though since I last updated on here... if I ever have any free time ever again, I will write up the events of those two days and pictures and stuff.
your reality is at the end of your dream

IHeartPTA

i just started here yesterday, and i found this thread.

looks awesome, that's all that needs to be said.

shit i just rhymed again, i hate it when i do that.
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal