Montages?

Started by The Perineum Falcon, August 04, 2003, 11:00:59 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Well, I've searched the forum (or at least this particular section) for, perhaps, guidelines on how to properly write a montage into the script. I've seen how some of the writers here decide to notate where the montage begins, but I believe the montage in Fight Club isn't notated so clearly.
So my question comes to this: Which is the correct/more correct way of writing a montage into the story? Making a notation or just writing slug lines? Did this making any sense?
Thanks anyway.

EDIT: If you know a better way of writing a montage sequence that takes place in two different areas of a house with each cut lasting less than a second I'd really appreciate you telling me.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

mindfuck

I'd say whatever you think is going to work the best to get your specific point across. If the shots all have drastically different locations you could go the PTA-route and label the entire thing "Sequence A" and then go with seperate sluglines. If the montage is a series of shots in the same location you can just specify a montage of, say, "the following shots:".

I'm assuming you are writing a shooting script or at least planning on directing this yourself? A montage is a highly visual element and if you are writing a spec script it might be best to leave it out.

MacGuffin

The way I do it:

BEGIN MONTAGE

Put in your succession of scenes here.

END MONTAGE

If it's in the same location:

MONTAGE OF SHOTS:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: mindfuckI'd say whatever you think is going to work the best to get your specific point across. If the shots all have drastically different locations you could go the PTA-route and label the entire thing "Sequence A" and then go with seperate sluglines. If the montage is a series of shots in the same location you can just specify a montage of, say, "the following shots:".

Awesome, thank you!

I'm assuming you are writing a shooting script or at least planning on directing this yourself? A montage is a highly visual element and if you are writing a spec script it might be best to leave it out.

I do, indeed, hope to direct this myself. I thought of entering it into the next PGL contest, assuming there will be one. But I figured I might as well do it myself, independent like. Now if I can only raise enough money....
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

mindfuck

Just make sure you understand the proper differences between a spec script and a shooting script. If you plan to try and sell the script or entering it into any contests (like PGL) you are going to need a spec script (that is.. no camera direction, just character action). A shooting script on the other hand would have camera direction and numbered scenes. There are other minor differences you should know about, so I'd recommend doing some research about it.

subversiveproductions

correct me if i'm wrong, which i often am, but isn't a montage with all of the shots in the same location titled SERIES OF SHOTS?  as per the original question:

CUT TO:
MONTAGE:
- INT. LOCATION1: DAY.
 Character 1 does something.
- EXT. LOCATION2: DAY.
 Character 2 shoots someone.
- EXT. LOCATION3: DAY.
 Character 3 does the hula.
                                                                   CUT TO:

again, I could be wrong.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

markums2k

I think you should just put it down in a way that makes sense when you read it.  I don't think there's a right or wrong way, as long as you don't confuse the hell out of everybody.

I've been experimenting with doing away with scene headings altogether, and just incorporating the information into the writing.

---

Bob enters the (INT.) GROCERY STORE.  Pulling a shopping cart along with him, he nods hello to one of the clerks.  Bob shops, and returns to the front of the store with a cart full of groceries.

CLERK
Lotta groceries there, Bob.

BOB
Yeah.  Got a whole montage's worth.

The clerk begins to check out items from the cart.  Without looking up, he says...

CLERK
Paper or plastic?

---

So, my version of writing in a montage is simply, 'Bob shops'.  Obviously, I'm expecting inspiration to hit while on location.  If somebody else shoots the script, then it's left up to them to decide how big a deal it is to see Bob shopping.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: mindfuckJust make sure you understand the proper differences between a spec script and a shooting script. If you plan to try and sell the script or entering it into any contests (like PGL) you are going to need a spec script (that is.. no camera direction, just character action). A shooting script on the other hand would have camera direction and numbered scenes. There are other minor differences you should know about, so I'd recommend doing some research about it.
Yeah, I knew there were differences between the two. The only difference that I'm familiar with is that with the spec scripts you don't add camera movements. I suppose I do need to research a bit more. I usually use Kubrick's scripts as a rough guideline (with PTA thrown in for good measure).

Quote from: subversiveproductionscorrect me if i'm wrong, which i often am, but isn't a montage with all of the shots in the same location titled SERIES OF SHOTS?  as per the original question:

CUT TO:
MONTAGE:
- INT. LOCATION1: DAY.
 Character 1 does something.
- EXT. LOCATION2: DAY.
 Character 2 shoots someone.
- EXT. LOCATION3: DAY.
 Character 3 does the hula.
                                                                   CUT TO:

again, I could be wrong.
This is more or less the way I have it written, sans CUT TO:.

Thanks for the tips folks.

EL__SCORCHO

Look at the way Wes Anderson writes montages, he does it in a very simple way. he'll just write, "cut to a series of pictures...." and then just write everything in a small little paragraph. I like it that way because camera directions takes a lot of the joy out of reading a screenplay for me. Just give the reader what he has to know but don't go into to much details on the technical side.