Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

MacGuffin

The MJ service was beautiful; so touching and emotional. Many a tear were brought to my eyes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Walter Cronkite died after a long illness.  He was 92.  That's all the info available now, as it's breaking news.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

matt35mm

Yeah, he had a pretty damned good run.

RegularKarate

JOHN HUGHES!!

59 isn't even that old!

MacGuffin

:yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry:

Director John Hughes dies at 59
Helmer died of a heart attack

John Hughes, director of culturally significant films such as "The Breakfast Club," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles," died suddenly today of a heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to Manhattan. He was 59.
John Wilden Hughes, Jr., born on Feb. 18, 1950 in Michigan, began as an advertising copywriter in Chicago.

In the last decade, he stepped back from the legacy he created to enjoy time with his family, maintain a functioning farm in northern Illinois and support independent arts. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy, two sons, John and James, and four grandchildren.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

God DAMN it.
Jeez, sooo many amazing movies
This really makes me sad. I'm might put in 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' now. Did you know they are re-releasing it on DVD, a new remastered special edition? 'Dutch' is amazing, though I haven't seen it in years. I need to pick it up. I WAS Ducky from 'pretty in pink'. 'The breakfast club' perfectly captured high school as I knew it. I'm sorry I'm at a loss for words now.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

I always just assumed he would eventually come back and show the Diablo Cody's of the world how it's done but now he isn't.

Very very sad. I don't think there is anyone form the age of 20-40 that he didn't leave a giant impression on.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

Hi.

Much, much love to Mr. Hughes. A great deal of my childhood movie memories are full of his films. Planes Trains and Automobiles was a family favorite around Christmas oddly enough. My father took me to Ferris Bueler's Day off when I was just 9 years old. If you're 30-something, how many of you watched Weird Science and wished you could create your own Kelly LeBrock?

The truely great writer/directors out there have lost a wonderful part of that family.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Written by Hughes, Some Kind of Wonderful is an underrated gem. And for all the well deserved praise that Planes, Traines gets, lets not forget the man wrote also another comedy classic in National Lampoon's Vacation.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

i just made a reference to the breakfast club today. crazy how much his films are a part of our lives.
who likes movies anyway

jtm

a huge piece of my childhood just died.

:yabbse-sad:

tpfkabi

we have the people who die young - cobain, elliot smith - and then people who are great artists and just choose to leave - hughes, salinger, etc. very frustrating.

interesting you say Plains was getting a new DVD, but i'm guessing it would just be like his other films being re-released - now involvement from Hughes or deleted scenes.

the only positive is that maybe his family will release some of the stuff out of the archives.

i have wanted to buy that older DVD of Ferris just to hear his one commentary, but have never done it.
anyone heard that commentary?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.