Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

I'll still wait until confirmation. Usually Sept is a bad release date (the "Jan" for failed oscar bait) but Hustlers broke out in Sept and Ad Astra was released in Sept too. Because COVID, fall will be really packed. MGM will have lots of movies to release like Ridley Scott's Gucci and the new James Bond. A Sept release and streaming in Oct makes sense. It's probably going to be a "minor" PTA with divisive word of mouth so stacking it against bigger movies hurts box office

wilberfan

I've realized that I might prefer no festival appearances before it opens.  No reviews, no buzz (good or bad)--just a chance for me to see it as 'cleanly' as possible.  (The way I got to see Thread.)

pynchonikon

Tbf, "failed oscar bait release date" and "minor PTA" are two different things. The Master which was released on September wasn't a minor PTA and IV which was released on December wasn't an oscar bait movie.
Also, Phantom Thread was his first movie that didn't do any festival circuit due to limited time for post-production.
I think his movies need festival hype, in general.

Drill

Quote from: pynchonikon on March 19, 2021, 07:39:07 AM
Tbf, "failed oscar bait release date" and "minor PTA" are two different things. The Master which was released on September wasn't a minor PTA and IV which was released on December wasn't an oscar bait movie.
Also, Phantom Thread was his first movie that didn't do any festival circuit due to limited time for post-production.

Do they, though? What makes you say that?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drill on March 19, 2021, 08:25:16 AM

Do they, though? What makes you say that?

Because they aren't potential blockbusters and they don't star DiCaprio lol.

I may exaggerated a bit, but I do think that an earlier buzz for Phanton Thread would help little known Krieps enter more noticeably into awards discussion (her respectable co-leads managed to, on the contrary).
In the case of Soggy Bottom, where the major leads (Hoffman/Haim) are similarly unfamiliar to the wide film audience, I believe that a positive word of mouth would be helpful as well in order to attract even more attention.

Drenk

Not sure festival hype would make financial matters drastically better. Outside of a Palme d'Or, of course, which is why it's Cannes or Bust, Baby.
Ascension.

jenkins

well there's the Golden Lion, too, obviously

Yes

Weinstein moved it to September because his bigger Oscar contenders that year were Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained which needed the sweet fall/winter spots

Freddie Dodd

TIFF is the premiere Oscar-bait festival, so MGM could feel like premiering there would be hopeful if the confidence is promising from the new management.

Drill

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on March 19, 2021, 01:19:32 PM
TIFF is the premiere Oscar-bait festival, so MGM could feel like premiering there would be hopeful if the confidence is promising from the new management.

TIFF premieres are actually often not a good sign these days. Fall Oscar contenders always want to premiere at Venice/Telluride first before taking to to TIFF (or taking it to/premiering at NYFF).

Drill

Have no idea who this is, but he's apparently a major role in the film. Wasn't mentioned on IMDb.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/masters-of-the-air-nate-mann-band-of-brothers-sequel-at-apple-1234723949/

QuoteBest known for his role as young Ray Donovan in the most recent season of the hit Showtime drama, Mann was also recently tapped for one of the lead roles the untitled coming-of-age drama from Paul Thomas Anderson.

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on March 29, 2021, 03:45:28 PM
Have no idea who this is, but he's apparently a major role in the film. Wasn't mentioned on IMDb.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/masters-of-the-air-nate-mann-band-of-brothers-sequel-at-apple-1234723949/

QuoteBest known for his role as young Ray Donovan in the most recent season of the hit Showtime drama, Mann was also recently tapped for one of the lead roles the untitled coming-of-age drama from Paul Thomas Anderson.

True then again I feel there are at least half the casts till not named. Like who is playing the female agent if that character still exists.

Tdog

Do we actually know that Cooper Hoffman is the actual lead lead in this or were we just speculating based on the early photos?

WorldForgot

You can rest assured. It's at least a buddy comedy with Cooper in half of that duo.

wilberfan