best movie ever made

Started by Sanjuro, October 07, 2003, 09:11:01 AM

Derek237

NEON MERCURY

Gloria

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick"Plan 9 From Outer Space"

That would be the best unintentional comedy ever.

Best movie ever....in terms of watching over and over again, I would have to say As Good As It Gets....but in terms of blowing my freaking mind away I would have to say Pulp Fiction

SHAFTR

best director, i'd say Ingmar Bergman.

best movie, I could say Citizen Kane or Breathless if we want to talk influence.

but I think the best movie, in the terms of it having everything is Lawrence of Arabia.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

best movie - vertigo

best director ever - probably orson welles, in the classic hollywood sense

Pas

Best movie - Probably Citizen Kane or maybe even The Godfather, though both are not absolute favorites

Best director - Alfred Hitchcock I'd say. I like David Lynch a lot too, but to say "best" would sound bad.

samsong

best movie ever made, Sunrise

chinaski40

SHAFTR

Quote from: samsongbest movie ever made, Sunrise

I don't think I'll be able to make this b/c I will be editing.

"SPECIAL EVENT
Thursday, October 9, 3:30 p.m.
Sunrise
USA, 1927, 95 min., 35mm
Directed by F.W. Murnau.
Written by Carl Mayer.
Based on a story by Hermann Sudermann.
Produced by William Fox.
Cinematography: Charles Rosher, Karl Struss.
Editor: Harold D. Schuster.
With George O'Brien, Janet Gaynor.

One of the greatest films of all time, Murnau's pioneering masterpiece tells the tale of a young farmer, who, smitten by a hussy from the city, decides to kill his wife but cannot when his conscience gets the better of him. The married couple's love is rekindled during a trip to the big city. Cinematheque proudly presents a newly restored print of this Academy Award-winner, complete with the first-ever restoration of the film's original Movietone soundtrack. This screening will be introduced by Schawn Belston (Director of Film Preservation at 20th Century Fox) and Michael Pogorzelski (Director of the Academy Film Archive), both of whom played vital roles in the restoration process."
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

samsong

Thank you for making me insanely jealous.. then again you aren't going.  BUT it reminds me of a different missed opportunity.  Last month Cal State Long Beach had a Widescreen Festival (an annual thing).  John Bailey, who did the commentary for the Sunrise DVD - which I proudly own - was being honored and chose the films for the week-long festival.  Lo and behold, Sunrise is on the list.  I fucking couldn't go.  

Hope you take the time off from editing to see it... who knows it may inspire you.[/list]

snaporaz

best film ever: 2001: a space odyssey

best director ever: stanley kubrick

...and believe me, i'm not totally obsessed with him. those two choices are somewhat coincidental.

rustinglass

Best film: underground most definetly, and the elephant man, citizen kane and Dersu Uzala as close seconds.

Best Director: Kusturica, without a doubt and bergman.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

©brad

best way to bore me- reading 'best of' threads.  :sleeping:

Alethia

kotte

Taxi Driver is overrated. Can't see how it's at the top of Tarantino's 'Best Films Ever'-list. Sorry. It's film of quality but I can't say I enjoyed that much.