The Stepford Wives

Started by MacGuffin, December 23, 2003, 12:38:32 PM

Chester R Pennywinkle

Quote from: MacGuffin
As Joanna and Bobbie investigate their neighbors further, they discover that there is indeed something artificial about them, something... robotic, the result of the husbands banding together to replace their human wives with cyborg copies who are subservient, sexually compliant and devoid of any distinguishing character traits. Will Joanna and Bobbie be the next ones replaced by perfect robotic clones?

Bravo! Bravo Good Sirs! Finest piece of upcoming cinema I or my associates have heard of. Three cheers to the fine gentlemen behind this truly magnificent work.
Rather...

Finn

It looks like a really interesting movie to me. I didn't like the first one very much, so maybe this will be better.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

El Duderino

Welcome to Stepford. No crime, no poverty and no pushing.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Too bad instead of looking like that she has that horrible short haircut in the movie

bonanzataz

'Stepford Wives' Hits More Trouble

The remake of The Stepford Wives has hit further delays - director Frank Oz is fighting scheduling difficulties with Nicole Kidman to bring her back for more scenes. After filming on the re-working of the '70s comedy thriller wrapped earlier this year, Oscar-winning Kidman started work on the Sydney Pollack movie The Interpreter. However, last month a test screening of the film was met with negative reviews, so the cast and crew have been forced to reshoot. The Stepford Wives is set for release next month, but Bowfinger director Oz is trying to get three days out of Kidman's busy filming schedule to return for re-shoots. One film crew member tells New York's Metro magazine, "Frank's sense of detail can just be insane. He's used to puppets."

that doesn't sound good...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Alethia

nor did it turn out good - this movie was painfully, dreadfully, horribly boring

Pedro

Quote from: ewardnor did it turn out good - this movie was painfully, dreadfully, horribly boring
i disagree.  i dont think that it was boring, but it wasn't really any good either

not really spoilers

the plot twists that might work in the book did NOT work in the film. the last few scenes were pretty dreadful to watch.  and even worse was the dialogue in them.  it reaked of "let's explain this to the audience in the easiest way for them to understand".  but this is not to say the film was all bad, though.  a lot of it was really funny, and, except in the afformentioned scenes at the end, kidman was excellent as she always is.  not entirely a waste of time, but i wouldn't pay for it either.

Alethia

i didnt laugh once.  didnt even crack a smile.

NEON MERCURY

...i  saw the tv spot
this looks like something that i would take a girl to if i wanted her to make her think that i had bad taste so that way she would break up w/ me........
this is a frank Oz joint.........which means talented cast /so-so movie......

his only good film was dirty   rotten scoundrels.

meatball

Quote from: ewardi didnt laugh once.  didnt even crack a smile.

Why did you go see it ?

MacGuffin

Being a fan of the original, I was not looking forward to this film. And while it was a bit better than I expected, the far superior original is a very good horror film, but this version does away with all that and goes the (black) comedy route. What made the original great was the suspense in finding out what was going on. There is none of that here; it pretty much was given away in the trailer. The original was also a very satiric comment on Women's Lib and ERA. It was reflecting the times in which it was made. Here, it's almost a product of the times, with jokes about reality tv, SUV's, etc. If the comedy had come from paroding the roles women have now, it would have been a better film, but the best jokes are homosexuality and Jewish related (and Midler and Close are the best here). In fact, a better suited storyline was about making the gay male "wife" straight. That would have been a better exploration of the times. But I didn't believe Kidman and Broadrick as a couple, and thus didn't believe why she was even with him or even married him in the first place. For a strong independent women, she was very weak.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: ewardi didnt laugh once.  didnt even crack a smile.

Why did you go see it ?

i actually was quite looking forward to it, plus i see all the movies free

hedwig

Gloria

I really didn't like this movie.  It avoided anything that may have been remotely thought-provoking and just played the one note idea for cheap laughs.  Granted, there were a few good one-liners and Bette Midler was really funny, but in the end, it was just boring fluff with none of the substance it should and could have had.  I was disappointed.