What's a good movie to see that i haven't heard of?

Started by Crash, May 03, 2003, 10:54:14 PM

Keener

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Keener
Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: KeenerTHE MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL

is this the wim wenders film with mel gibson? many people i've spoke to about this film, said it was garbage -- its left a bad taste in my mouth so i never saw it -- is it good in your opinion?

Yeah...everyone hates it but it's one of my all time favorites. Screw people...people say Punch Drunk Love sucks. I don't trust people.

well, the people i listen to advice from are people whos opinion i trust. and those very people say it sucks. this poses a predicament -- i dont know enought about you to trust your opinion neccesarily. you say you like punch drunk love, but i dont know why...many people like it for reasons that i find trite -- who's opinion do i trust? ok ok, enough of that.

It's worth the price of a rental.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Ernie

Quote from: redlum
Quote from: ebeaman69they shoot horses, don't they?

Im really interested to see this one, is it really that good eb? Costly import to the UK ya see.

edit: they just released it r2 on some budget collection, and I can get it for £4.50.

I think it's really great...but that's me. It doesn't seem to be that well-known. I guess you should try to rent it first if at all possible.

-dazza-

The War Of The Buttons.

The Field (the film from which my avatar originated)
"Go home, Yank. 'Tis my field." - The late, great, Richard Harris.

Newbie Confusion Device:  CLICK HERE

children with angels

I don't know what you've heard of, but...

1) Koyaanisquatsi (weird / brilliant documentary type thing with music from Phillip Glass... [ace])
2) Buffalo 66 (You've probably heard of it, but if not: rent it for God's sakes, it's my one of my favourite films and is so so so so so wonderful... [ace])
3) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeouise (very funny, very weird, generally superb. Major influence on people like Wes Anderson...)
4) Magnolia (A strange little movie - hasn't got the respect it deserves. Not many people [particularly on this forum] seem to have heard of it...)
5) Bergman films (I would reccomend Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona...)

I don't know - I'm kind of running low on inspiration here...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

cowboykurtis

Quote from: children with angelsI don't know what you've heard of, but...

1) Koyaanisquatsi (weird / brilliant documentary type thing with music from Phillip Glass... [ace])

saw this a few years ago. blew me AWAY. probbaly one of the most visually striking images in life i've ever seen -- i felt shaky all day. fucking amazing. have you seen the dvd that was currently released? how is the transfer? i think i saw a vhs copy that might have been full screen -- do you know what the original aspect ratio is? i would love to see this baby anamorphic -- i've got to see this in the theater -- i think i would wet myself.
...your excuses are your own...

ratsorizzo

a jim jarmusch movie thats really strange but awesome to me is dead man
So give me a stage, where this BULL here can RAGE, and though I fight I would much rather recite.....that,s entertainment.....that,s entertainment.

penfold0101

Quote from: children with angels2) Buffalo 66 (You've probably heard of it, but if not: rent it for God's sakes, it's my one of my favourite films and is so so so so so wonderful... [ace])
Good choice.

Try Six Ways to Sunday by Adam Bernstein its not to everyone’s taste but its kinda cool.

If you want to try something different watch Timecode (i've only saw a little bit on cable the other night & didn't want to spoil it so i turned it off, i'll have to keep my eye out for when its back on) by Mike Figgis.

If you want something foreign try Pusher by Nicolas Winding Refn. Its a top film.

You have heard of and seen Amelie by Jean-Pierre Jeunet haven't you?

Something English, try Sexy Beast by Jonathan Glazer.

And finally if you want something cult, Doom Generation by Gregg Araki, I didn't really like it but..... Rose McGowan! Lots of other people tell me it excellent, but as pointed out earlier what do people know!

Peace
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: penfold0101[If you want something foreign try Pusher by Nicolas Winding Refn. Its a top film.

And finally if you want something cult, Doom Generation by Gregg Araki, I didn't really like it but..... Rose McGowan! Lots of other people tell me it excellent, but as pointed out earlier what do people know!

speaking of refn: have you seen fear X? i saew it aat sundnace -- it was really really really awful -- it makes me never want to see another one of refn's films -- however i hear pusher and bleeder are good...

and the doom generation is one of the biggest peices of shit i've seen...but i've got to give it to you about rose mcgowen -- she can have my children if she wants.
...your excuses are your own...

penfold0101

Quote from: cowboykurtisspeaking of refn: have you seen fear X? i saew it aat sundnace -- it was really really really awful -- it makes me never want to see another one of refn's films -- however i hear pusher and bleeder are good...

and the doom generation is one of the biggest peices of shit i've seen...but i've got to give it to you about rose mcgowen -- she can have my children if she wants.

Well on the strength of Pusher i would try any of his films

Doom generation looked to me like it was trying too hard to become a Cult film.
Over obvious symbolism.
Some strange dialogue.
Over indulgence in violence and Sex.

peace
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

phil marlowe

pusher is okay, but bleeder is really good. i want to see fear x despite the fact that it has gotten a lot of mediocre reviews because of the trailer wich looks really nice. sorry to hear that bad things about it.

(kelvin)

"The Man With a Movie camera" by Dziga Vertov... in case you don't already know the film.

godardian

Re the Todd Haynes thread a bit back...

I think Safe is the best movie of the nineties. He is a director easily on par with P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson, Alexander Payne... any of the really intelligent ones.

And none of those guys has come up with anything as singularly shattering as Safe. Maybe Haynes saw all the other nineties directors whipping everything into a frenzy and decided that smoothing, isolating, toning down, focusing... these were methods just as equal to the task of implanting images/characters/ideas in your mind and heart. And I think it worked so well, he hasn't yet been able to top it, nor have most other auteurs.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Also, a few of the posts here on Sunday were completely unacceptable for their irrelevance to the subject, first, and secondly for their knee-jerk, infantile anti-gay attitude. To use words like "gross" to describe other people's perfectly legitimate sex lives reveals a) a complete lack of understanding of human sexuality, and b) a childish, ignorant small-mindedness.

Any more of this nonsense, and I will have to report this behavior to the list moderators. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence, not to mention any gay members of this message board, of which I am one. I'm not easily offended-only by simplistic stupidity perpetrated by those who seem not to realize that somewhere in your family, somewhere on your street, somewhere in your school, there is someone who primarily seeks relationships with the same sex- but these remarks were insidiously inappropriate.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardianRe the Todd Haynes thread a bit back...

I think Safe is the best movie of the nineties. He is a director easily on par with P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson, Alexander Payne...

And none of those guys has come up with anything as singularly shattering as Safe.

I'll admit I didn't get into this film (while I appreciated it, I just wasn't up for a film about a sofa).  

Any of the films of the other three directors you mentioned squashes this film artistically.... ESPECIALLY Magnolia.

I know it's just a matter of opinion, but Safe was a tad crusty.

godardian

Well, Safe is as much a film about a sofa as Magnolia is a film about frogs...

The film is about the difficulty of really, truly being an individual, a free agent in our world. If nature abhors a vacuum, culture abhors it more- there's scarcely a moment in this film when the characters aren't being told, implicitly or overtly, what to think, what the right path for their life is, how to feel, how they should express their feelings. In the guise of a film about finding an "answer," it's actually a film about how slippery and deceptive most answers are, especially the ones that seem obvious or easy.

So, that's just for the record- if you see Safe and think it's about a black couch or being allergic to chemicals or a piece of New Age propaganda, you're not seeing it for what it is- an exploration of how pervasive and duplicitious certain modes of thinking can become, with all of us as the hapless ciphers who must be slotted into these ever-shifting categories and "answers." That ending would've been a happy, unskeptical one in any other movie... why does it feel so unbearably bleak in this one? Because this is a sad, wise movie, with impeccable restraint in visuals and pacing. I own the DVD and watch it constantly... and if you found it "crusty," I'd advise watching it again w/ the commentary on, which provides some good clues as to the actual intentions behind the film.