The Kite Runner

Started by MacGuffin, August 06, 2007, 08:22:29 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 2nd, 2007 (limited)

Starring: Shaun Toub, Khalid Abdalla, Nasser Memarzia, Said Taghmaoui, Atossa Leoni 

Directed by: Marc Forster 

Premise: Set in Afghanistan, a bond develops between a privileged youth and the son of his father's servant based around kite flying. Their relationship fractures when one boy is set upon by toughs during a kite-flying tournament while the other boy does nothing to help his friend. They reunite years later after the Taliban is removed from power.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

This film could have been much better than it was if the director had spent a little more time connecting the characters (especially the children) to the world around them. I have not read the book but I feel like there has to be much more to this story than was told on screen. the kites are cute devices but the mise-en-scene is pretty much disposable for so much of the film... the majority of it reads like a high school paper.
i've seen better performances from the lead actors in other films but none of the adults really stand out here. The soundtrack also killed more than a few scenes, some of which were already dying from terribly light, oddly paced, and unpoetic montages.

Aside from Jeremy Irons's Iranian doppelgänger, there just wasn't much that kept me interested.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.