Superbad

Started by MacGuffin, April 07, 2007, 09:16:46 PM

elpablo

Wow. This exceeded my expectations tenfold. I don't think there was a single joke in the film that fell flat in the theater. Everything got a laugh. And if you knew how many jokes there were, you would be very impressed.

Pubrick

Quote from: elpablo on August 17, 2007, 08:34:13 PM
I don't think there was a single joke in the film that fell flat in the theater. Everything got a laugh.

that's not saying much man, the theater is an idiot. i mean, by that standard Transformers was the best movie of the year.
under the paving stones.

john

Quote from: Pubrick on August 17, 2007, 10:01:09 PM

that's not saying much man, the theater is an idiot. i mean, by that standard Transformers was the best movie of the year.

I mentioned this very thing to my girlfriend today. That, regardless of how funny the film is, most audiences don't discern a difference.

"What'd you think of Superbad?"

"Fuckin' funny."

"What'd you think of Rush Hour 3?"

"Fuckin' funny."

"What'd you think of Epic Movie?"

"Fuckin' funny."

It's all the same to a lot of 'em. This isn't a respite from garbage, it's just one more thing to do after Chili's and before Bethany's party. Regardless, elpablo is right - no joke fell flat, and there were a lot of jokes, and they were... ah, fuckin' funny.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on August 17, 2007, 10:01:09 PM
the theater is an idiot

But every so often, it's rare but it happens, the theatre gets it right.  This movie could have been 10 minutes shorter but otherwise it's got my vote for funniest movie of the year.  I don't mean to add to the hype because one more week of seeing commercials and I probably would have been worn out by it; the hubris of Apatow using Superbad to market future productions before its release leads me to believe that they always knew they had a hit on their hands.  At times, it does feel like it was written by two 14 year olds writing their first script, but it pretty much gets the male adolescent mind down better than any movie that I can think of at the moment and my audience was eating it all up (largely because most of them were adolescent males that sneaked in).

elpablo

Okay, I'll put like this then: The woman sitting next to me was pretty much getting fisted by her boyfriend for about half of the time and I was enjoying the movie so much that that didn't even steal my attention.

Pubrick

you had me at fisted.
under the paving stones.

©brad

so goddamn funny. funniest of the year for sure. and surprisingly, it's really sweet.

like when my parents tell me how great it was to live during the Beatles-era, i'm going to tell my kids how great it was to live during the apatow comedic renaissance.

SiliasRuby

Man, this was fantastic.
So many great jokes.
"You know Yoda right? From 'attack of the clones'"
"You guys on myspace?"
this worked on every level for me.
the performances were superb all around.
Everyone in the theatre seemed o really enjoy i as much as I did and here wasn't any douchebags to ruin the movie.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

w/o horse

Consistently funny and easy to watch.  A massive number of jokes, none of them too try-hard, and approachable characters.  It grasps the adventure and entertainment of high school.

I'd like to submit that there isn't a truly memorable scene, however.  I'm not a huge line quoter, that could be why, but I think the organic, insightful dialogue makes the film.  I'd be a loss to name my favorite scene.  In fact, several of the transitions among things happening were probably quite awkward because the film had to both make all the thing happen in one night and the film remained a comedy at all times.  Except the end, my least favorite part of these Apatow films, when I guess the film becomes genuinely sincere but I think just backtracks and makes sentiment.

But it's just a fucking comedy.  And a good one.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

It's a shame this won't be on DVD for some months. This movie is the best comfort food I know. I'll see it again, but I hate that will cost $5 or $8 a pop.

The movie is hilarious, nothing more. 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Superbad are giving me good movies that I can watch over and over again. I feel I may end up liking Superbad the most just because the characters and situation is so much more familar. Friends of mine who are girls already hate these movies, but my male friends and I love them. You can identify with numerous films, but these are awesome. They are the straight up funniest. I watch Last Boy Scout to just sit back and relax to. I'll treat these movies the same way. 

The funniest movie of the year. Nothing more can be said by me. I don't care critics are applauding these movies. Superbad should be discussed amongst friends and not in print.

modage

worst positive review ever.

thats great that you like this movie but theres really no reason to be so dismissive towards it. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Red Vine

Quote from: modage on August 21, 2007, 10:05:19 AM

thats great that you like this movie but theres really no reason to be so dismissive towards it. 

GT was commenting towards the insane amount of critics calling the film "sincere" and "authentic" when it's really just a silly episodic comedy.

It had some laughs but I'm certainly not "mclovin" it as much as the rest of the country.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

©brad

Quote from: The Red Vine on August 21, 2007, 11:50:36 AM
Quote from: modage on August 21, 2007, 10:05:19 AM

GT was commenting towards the insane amount of critics calling the film "sincere" and "authentic" when it's really just a silly episodic comedy.

but it was sincere and very authentic. what's wrong w/ critics writing about that? 

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie hits all the comedy points that a lot of movies try to focus on for the entire movie.  It had relatable characters, genuine dialogue, just all around hilarious.

I've already seen it twice at a drive-in, and boy was it fun.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

admin edit: Effing SPOILS

You guys are all fucking nerds to take Superbad to heart.

But, I guess that's accurate since the film is about nerds. It's relatable on generic terms but it doesn't document my high school life. I didn't get the chicks those guys got at the end. It's all Hollywood.