The Ringer

Started by MacGuffin, April 05, 2004, 03:38:11 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 5th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Johnny Knoxville (Steve, AKA Jeffy), Brian Cox, Katherine Heigl, Zen Gesner, Jed Rees, John Taylor.

Director: Barry Blaustein (Beyond the Mat)

Screenwriter: Ricky Blitt (debut)

Premise: This comedy is about two guys who decide to rig the Special Olympics to pay off a debt by having one of them, Steve (Knoxville), pose as a contestant in the games, hoping to dethrone reigning champion, Jimmy. (Brian Cox plays Knoxville's uncle.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

this is how you handle offensive material...

grand theft sparrow

I bet the producers of this are ready to throttle Trey Parker and Matt Stone for South Park 2 weeks ago.

Knoxville's face is priceless.

El Duderino

it has potential, i'll end up seeing anyway
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pedro

does anyone know where i can find some actual special olympics footage?

oakmanc234

I don't remember the last time I actually laughed at a movie poster, this one did the trick (god you can just taste the controvery thats awaiting this film). The teaser trailer with Knoxville being beaten up by a priest is a funny too. Brian Cox is a major bonus and after seeing Knoxville steal 'Walking Tall' out from under The Rock's feet, I cant wait for his next big screen effort.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

MacGuffin

*SOME STORY SPOILERS BELOW*

Quote from: oakmanc234(god you can just taste the controvery thats awaiting this film)

Michael Fleming of "Variety" reported that after years of working on the script, the production received approval from the Special Olympics board to use their name, and film at their events, using their athletes. The reason that the board was willing to sign on to what might seem at first like a movie that could be mocking the mentally handicapped is that the "script doesn't draw its laughs at the expense of any group. In fact, it turns out the competitor can't beat the Special Olympians, and they quickly discover he's an imposter."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinIn fact, it turns out the competitor can't beat the Special Olympians, and they quickly discover he's an imposter."
is that a quote from the special olympics board? if so, gotta love them special ppl.. they live in a beautiful world where the word "spoiler" doesn't even exist.

not that it matters in a movie like this tho, let it never be said that xixax are snobs.. unless of course, u don't see this.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

I guess that's kinda funny if he can't beat the other "special" competitors, but the asshole in me really wanted to see some jokes at their expense...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffinNew Trailer here.

So has this movie been sitting on the shelf since April of last year or what?  Did they just want to put some distance between it and the identical "South Park" episode?  Or did they just miss their initial release date and were waiting to release it in order to better position it for awards season?  So many questions, so few answers.
My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

is that a Woody Woodpecker impression that Knoxville's doing...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pas

I tought this was The Ring 3 when I clicked on the thread. (seriously)

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on September 28, 2005, 01:37:53 AM
So has this movie been sitting on the shelf since April of last year or what?  Did they just want to put some distance between it and the identical "South Park" episode?

Farrellys' "South Park" Smackdown

Is Cartman a crook?

Peter and Bobby Farrelly, the gross-out gurus behind Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary are accusing South Park masterminds Trey Parker and Matt Stone of ripping off a movie idea.

Per Daily Variety, the Farrellys claim a 2004 South Park episode, in which Cartman pretends to be mentally disabled to compete in the Special Olympics, blatantly copied The Ringer, the brother's upcoming movie about, yes, a guy who feigns a mental disability to win the Special Olympics.

Parker and Stone's story line pissed off the Farrellys and Ringer writer Ricky Blitt so much that it sparked ill will between the two comedy teams.

"When you think of a premise so radical it's unmakable, you hang in for seven years to see it through, it is a shock to the system to have people on Websites saying, 'You hack, you stole this from South Park,' " Blitt tells Variety. "I set this up so long before that episode was conceived. It is bad enough to have your idea taken: It's 1,000 times worse when you are then accused of stealing."

The Ringer, starring ex-Jackass Johnny Knoxville as the faux Special Olympian, is scheduled for release Dec. 23.

There's been no mention of a lawsuit, but Peter Farrelly, who produces the film with his brother, believes the plot similarities weren't an accident.

"There is no way those guys didn't know we were making this very movie as they took it upon themselves to do that episode," he tells Variety. "They know what they did and they know it was wrong. Period. These are guys I have always respected, but what they did was very creepy."

Blitt says he had shopped his screenplay all over town, including to Parker and Stone, before the Farrellys and their Connundrum Entertainment snapped it up.

But veteran producer Bob Kosberg (Twelve Monkeys), who pitched The Ringer to the South Park brain trust, tells the trade he never actually spoke to Parker and Stone about the screenplay, and the pair themselves have denied ever hearing about the concept.

"I can totally see why Ricky would be bummed about people accusing him of stealing an idea he came up with himself," Stone says in Variety. "But this is a matter of people having the same idea, and I assure you we weren't aware of the movie when we did that episode. And I don't agree with Peter's point that you should back off if you have an idea and find someone else has it too."

"It should be a race to the market," he adds. "I don't think that is all their movie has going for it Getting the Special Olympics to take part, now that is a cool thing."

The Farrellys, who volunteer for Best Buddies, a mentoring program for people with mental retardation, wanted to make sure the film didn't stigmatize the athletes and sought counsel from the Special Olympics. The brothers even went so far as giving the organization final script approval.

Parker and Stone's take-no-prisoners comedy has targeted everything from the war in Iraq to The Passion of the Christ to Michael Jackson's legal problems to a recent episode lampooning Tom Cruise's affiliation with the Church of Scientology.

When discussing the origins of their puppet flick, Team America: World Police, Parker and Stone went on saying they had intended to use a purloined copy of The Day After Tomorrow script and shoot it word for word with puppets and release it the same day the live-action version. Their lawyers convinced them otherwise.

However, Parker and Stone are themselves involved with the disabled, financing and executive producing How's Your News?, a series of documentaries featuring mentally challenged reporters interviewing high-profile celebs, politicians and regular folk.

Sensitive to the Farrellys' accusations, the two maintain their innocence.

"It's hard for Trey and I to hear them come down on us like we ripped off an idea," Stone says in Variety. "I met Bob Farrelly once for about four minutes. I never met anybody else, neither has Trey, and we knew nothing about their movie. We thought of the idea for that episode early on, but we couldn't make it for two or three seasons. When the show expanded, we were able to make it.

"I don't think it means that much; if The Ringer is a good movie; it will do well. And I remember wanting to remake King Kong, 10 years ago. Does that mean I was ripped off? I wish wouldn't attack us, and 'creepy' is kind of harsh."

Parker and Stone just inked a three-year production deal with Paramount to write and direct movies. They're signed to produce new episodes of South Park for Comedy Central through 2008.

The Farrellys, meanwhile, are attempting to stage their long-gestating update of The Three Stooges.

Skeleton FilmWorks