Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy

Started by Ravi, July 23, 2003, 02:11:20 PM

Ravi

I rented Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy yesterday.  I remember hearing that it wasn't good, but I liked it.  It's pretty funny and not overly vulgar.  I also liked the creative look of the film, especially the opening sequence.  Most comedies are shot in a bland, boring style, but this one has a great look.

Ebert really blasted this film.  I disagree that the humor seemed forced.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1996/04/04125.html

Raikus

One of my favorite comedies of all time. Damn the naysayers.

"It was only a couple of flipper babies!"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pwaybloe

I really liked it, but I was a fan beforehand.  

I would like to know how someone liked it who wasn't a fan of the show.

Raikus

I hadn't seen the show before I saw the movie.
Quote from: RaikusOne of my favorite comedies of all time. Damn the naysayers.
So there you go.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

markums2k

Interestingly (indeed), I guess the movie didn't quite turn out the way the kids hoped... but I say it was still very very funny.  I have it on VHS, and I've been meaning to pick up the DVD, just so I don't have to rewind it all the damn time.

"We beat penicillin!"  *slam*

Rudie Obias

"i've invented a pill, for the world, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!!!"
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

markums2k

Quote from: rudieob"i've invented a pill, for the world, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!!!"

Does it work on ex-boyfriends?

jokerspath

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: rudieob"i've invented a pill, for the world, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!!!"

Does it work on ex-boyfriends?

This is a drug, for the world, to give worms to ex-girlfriends.
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

cowboykurtis

um, right Chris, I don't think i WILL fuck Stummies.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Fans of "Kids In The Hall" can go to http://www.kidsinthehall.com and register on the site to be notified when the set starts preselling, and they can also take a survey, the results of which will influence the DVD set. Right now they're focusing on season 1, but if there's enough demand they will continue on releasing the show. These are the uncut HBO versions of the episodes. The "Kids" will be in LA shooting bonus material on Oct 8 and 9th for the set. Many of the questions they'll be asked were submitted by fans through the survey on the site.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

thedog

"Are we ever going to get the big table in here or do I have to go out and chop down the fucking tree myself?"

I was just thinking of that line this morning.

Derek237

I'm a huge fan of the kids, so in a way i have to like this movie. But it was a bit dissapointing. Just a bit. I'd much rather watch the show than the movie any time. In Same Guys, New Dresses they even talked about how the movie was full of problems.

cine

The movie looked to have problems but it was good enough for KITH fans, like myself who saw them at Massey Hall a few years ago.
I haven't seen this movie in years even though I own it on VHS.. the line that came to me when reading this thread was:

"So I hear Dad's dead - hey, is that egg nog?"

Banky

Ravi

Quote from: Derek237I'm a huge fan of the kids, so in a way i have to like this movie. But it was a bit dissapointing. Just a bit. I'd much rather watch the show than the movie any time. In Same Guys, New Dresses they even talked about how the movie was full of problems.

What did you think of SGND?  I haven't seen it in over a year, but I found it to be not very informative.  They spend way too much time showing Scott's robodog.  Still, it is interesting to see clips of their live shows.  I wish I could have gone to see them when they came to Dallas, but I did see them at the Virgin Megastore and they autographed my DVD.  Best extra ever?  Dave Foley's Lasik surgery video.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/roli/kev.jpg