The Karate Kid (2010)

Started by MacGuffin, November 11, 2008, 12:02:36 AM

MacGuffin

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo
Columbia taps Chris Murphy to write script
Source: Variety

Columbia Pictures is back in the dojo with a new version of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid," which has been refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith.

The film will be produced by Jerry Weintraub (who launched the original franchise) and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter, Will Smith and Ken Stovitz. Will Smith, who is the 10-year-old actor's father, co-starred alongside Jaden in his feature debut, "The Pursuit of Happyness," which Overbrook and Escape Artists produced for Columbia.

The script is being written by Chris Murphy, and the film will shoot next year in Beijing and other cities. While the new film will be set in that exotic locale, it will borrow elements of the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.

China Film Group Corp. will co-produce in China.

The younger Smith, who next stars in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," is a martial arts practitioner.

Columbia presidents Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach said they had been trying to find a way to bring back the series, which began with three films that featured Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. A subsequent film launched the career of Hilary Swank.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

What the fuck??

Mr. Miyagui is dead... no fucking way... besides the kid is 10? what the fuck?????

MacGuffin

Will Smith's Search For Mr. Miyagi Continues As 'Karate Kid' Remake Moves To China
Source: MTV

Will Smith normally appears in action films that feature aliens and big explosions, but with his son Jaden's forthcoming starring role in a remake of the 'Karate Kid', the whole family may soon become synonymous with martial arts as well.

Though Smith Jr. is locked in for the Ralph Macchio role, a key character is yet to be cast, that of Daniel's wise sensei. "We don't have a Mr. Miyagi yet," Smith told MTV News. "There's a couple of people that we're really intrigued by, but I don't want to say any names because I'll be in trouble."

Interestingly, though the original movie was set in the United States, the new version will take place in China, and that means key characters will change with it. "We're making it with the China Film Group, so it'll be based in Beijing. Mr. Miyagi was originally Japanese, so there'll be a Chinese adaptation to it."

But wait, isn't karate a Japanese martial art in the first place?

"Fortunately, karate is originally a Chinese art form, so that's the area we're playing around in." (Ed. Note: Though karate was developed in Japan, it is based upon Kenpō, a Chinese fighting style.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jackie Chan circles 'Karate Kid' remake
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Jackie Chan could soon be mentoring a karate kid.

The Hong Kong martial-arts star is in negotiations to star in Columbia's remake of "The Karate Kid." He would take on the role of mentor Mr. Miyagi that Pat Morita made famous in the original franchise.

The studio also has signed on Harald Zwart to helm the picture, which potentially will start shooting this year in Beijing.

Jaden Smith is set to star as the boy Chan's character will mentor. Like the original, which starred Morita and Ralph Macchio, the movie will examine the relationship between an older martial-arts expert and a young boy who is picked on by bullies.

Will Smith and James Lassiter's Overbrook Entertainment are producing, with the setting relocated from Japan, the birthplace of Miyagi in the original, to China. Chris Murphy has been attached to pen the screenplay.

The WMA-repped Chan, next up in the action comedy "The Spy Next Door" for Relativity, has a broad appeal overseas, an aspect that undoubtedly appealed to Columbia; Chan's "Rush Hour" franchise has earned about $750 million worldwide.

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

I do believe my childhood is being shat upon.

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

I got to say, this looks a lot better than I thought it would be.

For what it is.

polkablues

Two notes: Jaden Smith has more highly concentrated smug than any other 11-year-old kid on the planet, and if I hear that goddamn Fort Minor song in one more movie trailer, I'm going to go Melanie Laurent on some theater screens.

If it was The RegularKarate Kid, I would see it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTxFebiciM&feature=player_embedded

someone sent this to me - a behind the scenes making-of of Drunken Master 2.  You see Jackie Chan nearing the end of his prime, running around the whole set doing every single thing.  He's even carrying shit for the camera guy, though there's a big crew there for that.  I think his passion has died.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

So, based on curiosity, a decent review from Ebert and a friend, I saw this last night.

I know it doesn't need to be said, but don't waste your time on this unless you're bringing a kid.  It's a beat by beat remake of the original with the effort it puts into "updating it" (to both present and to China) so visible it hurts.

The fight choreography isn't bad for a boring remake, but there is very little of it and the editing, while not too fast, is pretty dull.  The music-drops are so random and clearly picked off the charts by some studio shithead (no "You're the best around" or ANYTHING and at one point, a twelve year old girl Dance-dance Revolutions to Lady Gaga).

The only thing I like was they gave a really tragic/dark turn to Chinese Miyagi.

Other than that, the best thing to come out of this whole forgettable remake is .

pete

<sigh>
I'm gonna do a retrospective of Jackie Chan real soon, to properly eulogize a man whose voluntary plunge is seconded only by jay leno.
or buster keaton?  beat by beat remake?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Also, Karate in China?  How do they explain that one?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on June 15, 2010, 10:53:22 AM
Also, Karate in China?  How do they explain that one?

It's not karate.  The only thing "Karate" in the movie is the title (Other than one quick moment in the movie where he's seen watching "Karate Lessons" on T.V.).

They actually have a conversation about how "it's not Karate! it's Kung Fu, it's different!".
What they don't explain is why the movie is called "The Karate Kid".