What is your favourite David Fincher-film?

Started by Spike, May 11, 2003, 05:10:32 AM

Spike

So what is your favourite film directed by Fincher?
Mine is by far "Fight Club" - just fantastic!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Recce

I'd say Fight Club, too. Hey, maybe yopu should add a poll to this thread.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Cecil

fight club as well. se7en is a close second

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Keener

S Club 7

I mean, though Se7en is centimeters away, I say Fight Club.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Gold Trumpet

Mine is The Game. Truly a movie where it felt like Fincher was in sumpreme control of his subject and bringing about his style at an equal handling with the story that felt right.

I liked Seven, but never really thought too highly of the film. In its over reaching dark atmosphere, I saw a dozen bad thrillers but the only difference with this film is that there was a good story to it.

Fight Club was smart and inventive for a good portion of the time, but shot itself in the foot with the revelations and twists that never added up to their hype and spoke little of pushing the subject.

Panic Room was also handled well for its story, but never progressed the story in a way to really make it effective for how simple the story was. It could have been an even more patient film than it was.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Even though the majority will be Fight Club, I've turned the thread into a poll. Hope you don't mind, Spike.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

yeah, the game is really underapreciated and ive gotten why. i would pick seven with the game as a close second. fight club is one of the most overrated movie ever and does nothing to me at all.

brockly

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: tremoloslothFIGHT CLUB[/i][/u]

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Phil Marloweyeah, the game is really underapreciated and ive gotten why. i would pick seven with the game as a close second. fight club is one of the most overrated movie ever and does nothing to me at all.
Rock on buddy.  But that avatar's gotta go.
Only I think Se7en ishis best, followed oh so close by The Game.
Fight Club-Christ, no.  He didn't have control of his material.  :roll:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

And I was abosolutely fucking floored that Fight Club garnered seventy-something % of the vote.  What is with you people??!!?!?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

As I've said before, The Game and Panic Room are my favorites. I honestly can't understand the fuss over Fight Club OR Se7evn. I ran right out to see Fight Club the day it opened, and I was just floored by disappointment. "Underwhelmed" would be an understatement. I just felt someone with a lot of half-baked theories had been given an obsene amount of money to very slickly but not very enjoyably expound on them for 2 hours. I'll take How to Get Ahead in Advertising for a sounder take on the themes and leave Fight Club for those who can stand the hypocrisy of someone who owes their career to corporate advertising- and who didn't mind releasing their film through a giant entertainment conglomerate- wagging their finger and scolding about how evil those things are.

For entirely different reasons than mine, PTA also really seemed to have despised Fight Club.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i still say that fight club was made for the fred dursts of the world

and our artier friends are looking for something deeper

Keener

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMani still say that fight club was made for the fred dursts of the world

As a Fight Club fan, I'm totally offended by that.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs