The Darjeeling Limited

Started by Fjodor, July 16, 2006, 04:18:42 AM

last days of gerry the elephant

What's the other song on the trailer? Besides Mod's favorite Kinks' song (aka Strangers)?

modage

my other favorite kinks song "This Time Tomorrow" from the same lp.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

In what films did Satyajit Ray and Merchant Ivory use The Kinks?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 25, 2007, 11:26:49 PM
In what films did Satyajit Ray and Merchant Ivory use The Kinks?

All of them.

Bethie

"How can a train be lost? It's on rails." made me snort

snort rails. hwoefdhlsajoj
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Sorry but this looks like The Life Aquatic in a train. There are no visible signs of growth anywhere in this trailer. It would be the third film dealing with the exact same family problems and altered universes.

i forgot to say, i dig the ringo, beatlesque look on schwartzman.

context, context, context.

Kal

Quote from: Alexandro on August 03, 2007, 09:52:19 AM
Sorry but this looks like The Life Aquatic in a train. There are no visible signs of growth anywhere in this trailer. It would be the third film dealing with the exact same family problems and altered universes.

Yep

Pozer

Quote from: Alexandro on August 03, 2007, 09:52:19 AM
yeah, but fug it, it looks damn good.

tpfkabi

i have a feeling he will do these movies for the rest of his career unless he adapts a book or something.

i know, i know, the Dahl story, but that's stop motion.............i mean his movies with living people...
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

I still hope the film carries a couple of surprises, I don't care if those are pleaseant or unpleasant, as long as they don't feel like a deja vu.

adolfwolfli

I was searching for the perfect adjective to describe what Wes Anderson's movies have become, and I've finally settled on "hackneyed", the definition of which is specifically "lacking significance through having been overused; unoriginal and trite".  He seems incapable of anything other than falling back on the same set of tropes and mannerisms over and over again:  Characters standing in rigid, geometrically-arranged groups of twos and threes staring straight into the camera with forlorn and melancholy expressions on their faces?  CHECK!  Brightly-colored, overly art-directed backgrounds filled with trinkets and kitschy props?  CHECK!  British Invasion-era pop songs?  CHECK!  Quirky facial hair and costumes?  CHECK!  Tracking shots in which the camera whip-pans back and forth, as if to mimic a bystander looking back and forth?  CHECK!  The presence of Owen Wilson or Jason Schwartzman? CHECK!  Stories about dysfunctional families attempting to reconcile and live with each other?  CHECK!  I really must say he's one of the most overrated filmmakers working right now.  I love Rushmore like most people, but this has become so tired...

Alexandro

he also needs actors who will rebel against his vision from time to time. like gene hackman. one of the reasons royal tenembaums works so well is because hackman breathes a lot of life into his performance and pretty much looks like the only one who's not so stiff all the time, cause that would go against his instincts as an actor (we all know that wasn't his favorite acting experience, but looking back he made it a lot more fun that what it could have been with someone more tamed in the lead, like bill murray).

Gold Trumpet

Gene Hackman is good in Royal Tennebaums, but I don't think he makes the rest of the film good. He's still outnumbered 8 to 1 with the rest of the cast. They don't share his ability to get beyond the model acting. Hackman's a bright spot, but it doesn't cast a light over the film.

I'm just glad a few other people are sharing some of my sentiments. There seemed to be more disagreeance with PTA on the board than Wes Anderson, but I now know I'm not alone.