Wonder Boys

Started by Finn, January 11, 2004, 06:15:47 PM

Finn

Any comments on this film? I really loved it! Curtis Hanson did a wonderful job with his camera work and the cast is first-rate. It's a personality movie that has interesting characters.

Poster:
http://www.impawards.com/2000/wonder_boys_ver2.html
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

i love it too.  first viewing i wasnt blown away by it, but the more i watch it and the better i know the characters the funnier it becomes and the more i enjoy it.  its something i can put on a million times to watch before i go to bed.  quirky, funny, great cast.  i love it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

.......this film is cool.......ffunnny.....and i like how as soon as the title appears that badass dylan sonng starts playing....the sonng sorta explodes to begin the titles.....

also.....there is so much sh*t you cath up w/ repaeted viweings.....

and downnety is hilarious.........

A Matter Of Chance

I really liked the movie. My favorite part is when James Leer asks why Michael Douglas should take the blame for shooting the dog, and he says, "I've got tenure." The book is really good too.

godardian

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceI really liked the movie. My favorite part is when James Leer asks why Michael Douglas should take the blame for shooting the dog, and he says, "I've got tenure." The book is really good too.

I haven't read the book, but I loved Kavalier and Klay. Is it as good?

I really like this movie, too. Someone said in a different thread how Hanson was a "hack" who got lucky with LA Confidential, but I thought this was a more than worthy follow-up.

I don't like Michael Douglas, usually, but he was really good. And McDormand is almost always worth watching.

Really good stuff.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

I love Wonder Boys. One of my all-time favourite films ever. I've seen it at least 50 times and it never gets old to me.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Derek237I love Wonder Boys. One of my all-time favourite films ever. I've seen it at least 50 times and it never gets old to me.

...me too.........i think my fav. part is when douglas in VO says something like .."james.________ was a sunnny as his dispositionnn"...then it cuts to that loook on macguire's face......

and the "ground lamb"....is already film..classic... but i have never tried it though.....

ono

Definitely love it.  It falls under the "subtle, sophisticated humor" umbrella along with, say, Wes Anderson's later works.

©brad

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaDefinitely love it.  It falls under the "subtle, sophisticated humor" umbrella along with, say, Wes Anderson's later works.

later works? by that you mean the second two movies he made?

Pas

ono

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaDefinitely love it.  It falls under the "subtle, sophisticated humor" umbrella along with, say, Wes Anderson's later works.

later works? by that you mean the second two movies he made?
Exactly!  :-D

Ghostboy

Quote from: godardian
I haven't read the book, but I loved Kavalier and Klay. Is it as good?

Better than Kavalier and Klay, which I also loved. Read it. Love it. Live it.

Redlum

Honestly one of my favourite movies of all time. I've lost count on the amount of times I've watched it.

The book is great too, and lots more to enjoy and to supplement with following viewings of Wonder Boys. There was a great bit about Grady's Proffessor of English when he was at University, who used to wave a gun out his office window shouting down to students to write about truth.

In addition to the "Sunny disposition" shot, another favourite is the wide shot of Grady, Crabtree and Q in Gradys car after Vernon starts chasing them around: "I just got my hood jumped on.". They're all looking almost straight into the camera, its great.

I prefer Kavalier and Klay as a book but its an epic and hard to compare to something as intimate as Wonder Boys.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Just Withnail

Just caught it on TV yesterday, which was my second viewing. Loved it the first time, loved it now. Didn't like the ending though. A bit too sunny, but I guess it was fitting.

Henry Hill

definitely one of the best movies of the last 10 years. genius.