Saw

Started by FeloniousFunk, June 06, 2004, 10:01:17 PM

El Duderino

i like Cary Elwes in Liar Liar and Glory
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

UncleJoey

Just back from the free sneak preview and . . .

This movie is truly awful. The acting is abysmal (Cary Elwes made me want to stab myself. By the way, Happy Birthday buddy! Turns 43 today.). The writing is cheesy, awkward and just plain bad. The direction and editing . . . well, you get the point. This is straight-to-video level filmmaking. How this has managed even mixed reviews thus far astounds me.

Grade: F
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

SHAFTR

I was also at a free sneak preview and I have similiar thoughts as Mr Uncle Joey.

This movie is about incompetence.  First, inside the movie...the characters, the cops...they are all incompetent beyond belief.

Now, along with this, the direction, editing, acting and writing are also incompetent.  This movie fails to build any sort of suspense.  The only thing going for it is a good idea for a premise.

Perhaps, the worst movie I have ever seen.

1/2 out of 5 stars
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SiliasRuby

Damn, I was really looking forward to this...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ProgWRX

hmm even though the technical aspects of this movie are sub par, it DOES manage to create A LOT of tension and "thrills". These kinds of movies i tend to "go easy" on...and just see them as what they are IMO : pure cheap thrill rides, and IMO it delivered a lot of them...

i feel bad for cary elwes though, ive always liked him...
-Carlos

NEON MERCURY

"cary elwes spotlight"

if you own a ps2 or xbox, then you can buy "the bard's tale" which features the voice of cary elwes.  the creator of the game is the guy behind baldurs gate and fallout.

so, for people who didnt like "saw".  i suggest that you rent/buy this game in order for you to undertsand truely,  the enigma of cary elwes.

peace,
NEON

-caryelwescaryelwescaryelwescaryelwescaryelwescaryelwescaryelwescaryelwes-- -__---

Myxo

Looks like a comedy to me. It'll end up on AMC during Halloween in about three years.

;)

Finn

I thought it was an okay movie with lots of blood and gore. I pretty much hated the eperience of watching it and I'm not sure it was worth it by the time it was over.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: Small Town LonerI thought it was an okay movie with lots of blood and gore. I pretty much hated the eperience of watching it and I'm not sure it was worth it by the time it was over.
sounds good.  i'll be seeing this tomorrow.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

Possibly the funniest film I've seen this year.

::SPOILER::I thought the scene where Jigsaw riding in on a tricycle though was ridiculously scary, though::SPOILER::

Dtm115300

The film had good moments like the scene samsong talks about in his spoiler, but all&all i didn't really enjoy this movie that much. I have to say it was better then The Grudge.

Finn

Yes, much better
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

The Perineum Falcon

This movie was obnoxious.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

See "Saw" Sequelize

No-win moral dilemmas are at the crux of Saw (well, that and a lot of yucky gore). By comparison, Lions Gate's decision to sequelize the horror film was a breeze.

The low-budget indie flick made a scary amount of money.

A day after Saw wrapped up its debut weekend with $18.3 million, Lions Gate and the film's producers announced plans for Saw 2.

The new movie has been penciled in for a Halloween 2005 release.

In a statement Monday, Lions Gate president Tom Oretenberg said Saw's opening weekend "exceeded all our expectations."

The movie, made for under $10 million by first-time director James Wan and cowriter/costar Leigh Wannell, placed third behind fellow horror hit The Grudge ($21.8 million) and the Ray Charles biopic Ray ($20 million).

On Halloween Sunday, no film made more money than Saw--$5.4 million, per BoxOfficeMojo.com. Its three-day, per-screen-average of $7,895 was the second highest among the weekend's top 10 movies, behind Ray's $9,989.

Word is Saw 2 talks were underway even before the weekend. Wan and Wannell are expected to be involved in the sequel, although their roles have yet to be announced.

Also to be determined: Who among Saw's stars--the surviving ones, anyway--will be back for more twisted fun and games?

Saw, a hit at last January's Sundance Film Festival, stars Danny Glover and Ken Leung as cops after a moralistic, if sadistic serial killer known as Jigsaw. Cary Elwes appears as one of Mr. Saw's do-or-die playthings.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ProgWRX

ugh i just dont see how a sequel would work, knowing what the audience knows by the end of the movie...

:?
-Carlos