New Dirs to add

Started by Greenaroo, January 08, 2003, 01:52:17 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
That's where I think you guys are wrong, 'cause I find Solondz's films very funny, in a black comedy way. And his characters are fully fleshed out. I found myself sympathizing with them.

Yeah I agree, but it gets outweighed by the disturbing parts

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceYeah I agree, but it gets outweighed by the disturbing parts

Gimme your definition of disturbing, and use examples where relevant, please.

I'll take any back up I can get, BonBon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

moonshiner

Quote from: XixaxEveryone's entitled to their views, and that's cool, but I like Todd Solondz because he's just so damn disturbing.

And therein lies the problem...i've seen Happiness, left a real sour taste in my mouth, but it was an interesting movie...then i saw Storytelling and was convinced that he was being disturbing for the sake of being disturbing, and as much as I wanted to enjoy these movies, I didn't.  These movies are definitely meant to be darkly funny, and in certain cases they are (i.e the scene in Storytelling in the writing class when the students are criticizing the story that really happened, calling it racist and unbelievable), but altogether his movies are becoming much too formulaic, and still not very enjoyable.  His movies are disturbing because they present his characters in such an objective way.  Sure we see these characters in film, but they are usually portrayed as miserable wretches, and moviegoers are all but told what to think about them.  Solondz characters are never really portrayed this way...in the least, he is innovative and makes us think for ourselves, but has reached his limit with this type of movie. Good, certainly not great.

I know, at this point you don't even know what i'm getting at, it'll never happen again.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Duck SauceYeah I agree, but it gets outweighed by the disturbing parts

Disturbing, something that makes me feel upset, uncomfortable or offended. The entire pedophile thing creeped me out. I dont understand what you are trying to argue. I think Solondz is a good director, but I am too shaken up by his movies to like them. I think they are effective.

Ghostboy

I agree that Solondz needs to head down a different path next time...Storytelling just didn't work. However, I think 'Happiness' is great, and 'Welcome To The Dollhouse' is almost as good. The great thing about 'Happiness,' and the truly toubling thing, is that he DOES give you opportunities to sympathize with these characters; whether you choose to or not is up to you, but what he did so brilliantly was not pass any sort of judgement on any character. It's disturbing as hell, and it does leave you feeling a little unpleasant, but it's still definitely a black comedy...there's an awful lot that is funny in it. In a bleak sort of way.

©brad

Quote from: Duck Sauce

Disturbing, something that makes me feel upset, uncomfortable or offended. The entire pedophile thing creeped me out. I dont understand what you are trying to argue. I think Solondz is a good director, but I am too shaken up by his movies to like them. I think they are effective.

His films are too disturbing to watch? What wimps!! His films are very much black comedies. I don't know, maybe its because black comedy is my personal favorite of the comedy genres...
I just hate to hear the disturbing comments. Pretty soon we are going to live in a PG-fucking world. That little bastard from Maclom in the Middle will be our next Clark Gable.

Ernie

Quote from: cbrad4d
Quote from: Duck Sauce

His films are too disturbing to watch? What wimps!! His films are very much black comedies. I don't know, maybe its because black comedy is my personal favorite of the comedy genres...
I just hate to hear the disturbing comments. Pretty soon we are going to live in a PG-fucking world. That little bastard from Maclom in the Middle will be our next Clark Gable.

Oh come on tough guy, give me a fucking break. Yeah, I have a threshold for how fucked up the movies I watch are, big deal. I love black comedy, it's probably my favorite genre too. Happiness is a black comedy that I do not like and that I am disturbed by. There isn't anything wrong with being disturbed by a movie.

Xixax

Happiness made me very uncomfortable. I have to agree with ebeaman.

However, I tend to like it when movies make me feel that way. I guess I'm sick like that.

Oddly, what I do not enjoy is the feeling of tension and stress that I often get from action movies or situation dramas and comedies. I even dislike The Flintstones because of this (seriously - can I say that?). You know, there's always a crisis, and even though you know Fred is going to get out of it, you're always wondering if he's REALLY going to make it through unscathed... So if you someone wants to call that wimpy, then OK. I just don't like the "on edge" feeling of wondering how someone's going to get out of a certain situation. But that's just how I am. Make me uncomfortable, but don't make me nervous.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: XixaxHappiness made me very uncomfortable. I have to agree with ebeaman.

However, I tend to like it when movies make me feel that way. I guess I'm sick like that.

Oddly, what I do not enjoy is the feeling of tension and stress that I often get from action movies or situation dramas and comedies. I even dislike The Flintstones because of this (seriously - can I say that?). You know, there's always a crisis, and even though you know Fred is going to get out of it, you're always wondering if he's REALLY going to make it through unscathed... So if you someone wants to call that wimpy, then OK. I just don't like the "on edge" feeling of wondering how someone's going to get out of a certain situation. But that's just how I am. Make me uncomfortable, but don't make me nervous.

Exactly. It's fun to be uncomfortable but only to a point. I love movies that have that tension and suspense and controversy. Solondz doesn't give me that. It's like a totally different negative feeling.

xerxes

ebeaman69, your avatar scares me for some reason

Ernie

xerxes

maybe it's the look in her eyes

Ernie

Quote from: xerxesmaybe it's the look in her eyes

Man, do you know how screwed I'm going to be when she checks my history and sees this? Thank you, seriously. Like I really need this.

BonBon85

Quote from: ebeaman69
Man, do you know how screwed I'm going to be when she checks my history and sees this? Thank you, seriously. Like I really need this.

Jesus, chill out. Why would you make it your avatar if things like that are going to piss her off. It's kind of weird that your girlfriend's your avatar anyway, but maybe that's just me.

It's also kind of funny that you're threatening some guy via the internet. Gonna kick his ass cyber style, yo!

Ernie