Dexter

Started by gob, October 24, 2006, 01:59:21 PM

MacGuffin

Julia Stiles in Talks for Dexter
Source: ComingSoon

Entertainment Weekly reports that Julia Stiles is in advanced talks to play a major, top-secret role in the upcoming fifth season of Showtime's "Dexter."

Showrunner Chip Johannessen previously told the magazine, "We're not going to have a single Big Bad this season. We don't want to try and top John Lithgow, so we're going to change up the forces that Dexter's going to be dealing with."

The role would mark Stiles' first major foray into television.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

tpfkabi

I bought Season 1 on Black Friday. Already watched all 12 eps.

In relation to the buying DVD thread - is there a way I can legally stream these for free?

If I buy the DVD sets, I'm sure I'll watch once and then they'll just sit there.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Neil

Spoils

Let me say that Up until the last few episodes my thoughts have been, "ok, how many times is a serial killer going to find himself within close proximity of Dexter and the Miami PD, only to see Dexter get to him first."

These last few episodes are giving me hope that they may head in an unexpected direction.  Don't get me wrong, amidst the redundancy jaw dropping moments occur, but this season is meat and potatoes.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Jeremy Blackman

Several friends finally convinced me to watch Dexter, and I've been making my way through it at various paces.

I've always had mixed feelings about the show, and I was fairly skeptical about it in the beginning. However, with Season 3, the quality and subtlety were cranked up significantly. It's like they finally said, "Okay, we're done with the silliness. This is a serious show." Season 4 was even better than Season 3, and I'm now about 1/3 through Season 5, which is really good so far.

Also, Michael C. Hall has held things together masterfully, even through the early stuff. He must rank with the best television leads. He's probably the reason I couldn't stop watching the show. It's a joy to watch him act.

The downside is that by comparison, nearly all the other actors are pretty meh. (This is kind of like the effect Tim Roth has in Lie To Me). Their material is never as good. Too much time is spent with office politics. The stories are rarely interesting enough. More Dexter, please.

But my main complaint about the show is Debra (Dexter's sister). Her endless romantic dramas are even less interesting than the office politics. I don't care about it, and I think I actually care about it less 5 seasons in. It also annoys me how often they try to shove down our throats how attractive she is (really?). Moreso, it annoys me how consistently and desperately they try to shoehorn sex into the show, as if to meet a quota. Debra is the main culprit, but it goes beyond her. Quinn's thing with the reporter was probably the weak point of Season 4.

Nevertheless, I can't stop watching the show, and I have high hopes for its future.

Jeremy Blackman

Holy crap was I right... Season 5 was not only the best season of Dexter so far, but one of the best seasons of TV I've seen period. Even Deb's story got interesting, which is quite an accomplishment. They must have hired new writers, new directors, or something, because the quality was fantastic. SPOILERS That scene when Deb was talking to them through the plastic... so masterful, so intense. Also, I hate to say it, but the show is much better without Rita. Until she left, I didn't realize how much she dragged things down, how much suffocation she caused. Not just for Dexter's extracurriculars, but for the show's emotional possibilities. Look what they were able to accomplish this season—they managed to pull new things out of the Dexter character, who quite frankly, with the amount of overexposition that was going into the scripts, should have been exhausted by the end of Season 1. Julia Stiles was pretty much pitch perfect through all the crazy stuff she had to pull off. I think she's the best actor we've seen on the show next to Michael C. Hall. Speaking of whom, man, he had some good material to work with, and he chewed every piece of actorly goodness out of it. I know Dexter will go on killing, because that's the show, but I think some interesting things could happen before the series finale. Key line from the end of the season finale: "They make it look so easy—connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world." He's realizing more fully (which we know by now) the artificiality of Harry's creation, and that he is not what Harry thought he was. To what extent he's not is something they should explore next season...

MacGuffin

Season Six Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

So are we going to talk about this?

I have such mixed feelings about Dexter, but I can't stop watching it. So much if it is crap, and good God is the dialogue horribly-written sometimes, but there are some truly transcendent moments. These moments all have something in common; Michael C. Hall dominates them. Even after all these seasons, he completely fascinates me. He carries the show.

The material that does not focus on Dexter is consistently weak. There are exceptions, but that's the general rule. I'm worried about this season, because it's probably not going to capitalize on the developments that Season 5 made with the Dexter character. In fact, they might pretend that Season 5 never existed. I loved Season 5 for all its intensely Dexter-centric content. I doubt they'll do anything like that this season.

Dexter is good to the extent that it takes the Dexter character seriously. Sometimes it doesn't. This season, it may not.

polkablues

I don't really have anything to say about it yet, except that I'm pretty sure Colin Hanks does actually cut the intestines out of roadside fruit vendors in real life. He just gives off a vibe.
My house, my rules, my coffee

O.

I feel season one and season four were the only seasons worth a damn. I saw the trailer for season six and could hardly believe how... awful it looked.
superb

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 04, 2011, 11:02:30 PM
The material that does not focus on Dexter is consistently weak

Oh man, I second THAT.  I used to like the side stories, like back when Doakes was around, or when Batista got attacked in Season 1.  Now we've got "big brother Angel" in some hackneyed C plot with his sister. "You're JUST like DAD!" Oh hah-hah.  In the end, that's what I agree is EXACTLY where Dexter tends to lose it on the writing side: trying to fit in plots for its multitude of characters who they had no plan for in the first place.
Admittedly, though, I'm still a sucker for whatever they do with Masuka.

Positve Points:  I really really really forgot how darkly funny Dexter could be before this season opener.  I really like the idea of people with a code having to stand up to Dexter and his code...not only that but they have GOD on their side. At least they can convince themselves that they do.  I'm not into the whole "mysterious agenda using biblical imagery" thing, but I'm interested to see where they go.

Jeremy Blackman

Yes, it could still be a good season.

And yes to Masuka. Always.

Jeremy Blackman

Worst season ever. And uncontroversially, from what I've read.

It's just bad. Worst villains ever, worst subplots ever, worst Dexter introspection content ever, worst Dexter side projects ever (mostly nonexistent), worst everything.

I feel dirty for continuing to watch this. I need to re-watch Season 5 when this is over.

polkablues

I watched the first three episodes of the season, then three or four weeks passed before I realized I hadn't been watching it since then. It turned out I was okay with it. And that's my harrowing true story.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

PLEASE KILL BAUTISTA'S SISTER!

Skeleton FilmWorks