Gunpowder Milkshake

Started by WorldForgot, July 14, 2021, 12:27:28 PM

WorldForgot

Some neat poster variants --

https://twitter.com/GregRuth/status/1415048777426219013

The New Bev will be giving away mini posters of the art to the first 75 patrons

Robyn

The worst part is that if i ever made an film, it'd probably look something like this

Robyn

Correct and thank you

WorldForgot

Those monster squad goons were such fun to watch flail about. Really liked the madcap second act. And Karen Gillan channels an action hero archetype that reminds me of Point Break Keanu - I dig the intensity she grounds the one-liners with. Perhaps my brain wasn't tuned into its frequency cuz I felt that a proper dialogue pass could have kept the momentum of this on a true B-movie keel. Its exposition clouded the neon fun every now and then, though.

Jeremy Blackman

I don't want to rain on any parades, but... oof. This did not work for me at all. I tried and failed to find any charm in its awful writing or boring fight choreography. The Edgar Wright-inspired glamour shots are awkward and unearned. Even if it's trying to do something postmodern, the overall ineptitude is so thorough and its personality is so non-existent that it just passes right through me. Very strong Brothers Bloom vibes for me, unfortunately.

Robyn

Yeah, I'm with JB on this one if I shall expand on the joke I made previously in the thread. It certainly has some cool ideas, but it felt very bland and calculated for me, kind of like a 500 days of Summer of action fight movies. The fight scenes in the bowling alley and the hospital has good setups, it should be entertaining scenes, but it felt so disingenuous and boring despite it trying so hard come across as joyful and creative.

Edit: Not sure what happened with the thread title? This is the Gunpowder Milkshake thread, right? :p

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Robyn on August 07, 2021, 07:41:12 AMThe fight scenes in the bowling alley and the hospital has good setups, it should be entertaining scenes, but it felt so disingenuous and boring despite it trying so hard come across as joyful and creative.

I know right? The bowling alley was such a perfect setup for a glorious action sequence, but they whiffed the execution. It had no punch to it.

Spoiler: ShowHide
She slowly rolls the bowling ball on the floor and it sort of mildly bumps the guy's head. What? After all that wind-up? Criminal negligence of action filmmaking. Maybe it's a problem with the sound design, but most action scenes just don't have the impact you're looking for.

I'm also not a fan of the constantly-repeating "bad guy has no ammo to reload, uh-oh!" trope.

Quote from: Robyn on August 07, 2021, 07:41:12 AMEdit: Not sure what happened with the thread title? This is the Gunpowder Milkshake thread, right? :p

Long story, but I'll fix it.

Robyn

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 07, 2021, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: Robyn on August 07, 2021, 07:41:12 AMThe fight scenes in the bowling alley and the hospital has good setups, it should be entertaining scenes, but it felt so disingenuous and boring despite it trying so hard come across as joyful and creative.

I know right? The bowling alley was such a perfect setup for a glorious action sequence, but they whiffed the execution. It had no punch to it.

Spoiler: ShowHide
She slowly rolls the bowling ball on the floor and it sort of mildly bumps the guy's head. What? After all that wind-up? Criminal negligence of action filmmaking. Maybe it's a problem with the sound design, but most action scenes just don't have the impact you're looking for.

I was waiting for them to use the environment in that scene, and then when it finally happened it felt so goddamn anticlimactic. It didn't help that I had rewatched Kill Bill a few days earlier, a film in which you feel every single punch and kick going through your body like you are right there in the scene with them.

Karen Gillan wasn't charismatic or interesting enough to carry this movie either. They should have made that character older and casted Lena Headey finstead! She was pretty much the best part about this 

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Robyn on August 07, 2021, 02:17:44 PMKaren Gillan wasn't charismatic or interesting enough to carry this movie either. They should have made that character older and casted Lena Headey finstead! She was pretty much the best part about this

Yeah, and that's so strange. Karen Gillan is usually overflowing with charisma. The choice to go with something more joyless here does not really work out. I think the stoic noir approach to this character is just not suited to her, in fact sort of playing directly against her strengths. Reminds me of John Cena in F9.