Catchers in the rye...

Started by Sleepless, February 04, 2004, 04:50:07 PM

Sleepless

I'm a big fan of the 'Catcher In The Rye' genre, films with late-teens/early 20s guys who are social misfit, don't just fit in. Films like The Graduate, Harold and Maude, Donnie Darko, The Good Girl, Igby Goes Down, Wonder Boys.... Anyone else a fan of these particular sort of movies or could recommend some others I should watch?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Rushmore, Y tu mamá tambien

I'll come up with more, i'm sure.
context, context, context.

Raikus

I thought they might be making a sequel to Field of Dreams from your topic title.

There's plenty of good movies with the social refugee as the protagonist. I'm more fond of the Rabbit, Run type movies myself: American Beauty, Cool Hand Luke, Lost in Translation, etc.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SleeplessI'm a big fan of the 'Catcher In The Rye' genre, films with late-teens/early 20s guys who are social misfit, don't just fit in. Films like The Graduate, Harold and Maude, Donnie Darko, The Good Girl, Igby Goes Down, Wonder Boys.... Anyone else a fan of these particular sort of movies or could recommend some others I should watch?

Yeah, but Donnie and Graduate are the only ones that really work, because the love interest is the same age as the main character (though I guess Graduate did have the whole Mrs Robinson thing going on, but Ben came to his senses when he saw sweet Elaine). Plus, I hate all the others...  :)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

400 blows?....maybe not....well if u count the follow-ups with antoine as he gets older....maybe?

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleepless

Quote from: chuckhimselfoRushmore, Y tu mamá tambien

Yeah, seen those both of course... There's stuff like Moonlight Mile and Rebel Without A Cause which are vaguely in the same kinda place... Badlands...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

I think I know what you mean with those kind of movies. I'd like to see more movies of that kind, actually.  A serious exploration of adolescence... if that's possible. I haven't seen a movie yet that captures that time of life when you feel your brain starts working. I haven't seen much movies.

I haven't read anything by Sallinger,  but I've heard that The Royal Tenenbaums has a Sallingeresque tone.
context, context, context.

meatwad

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
I haven't read anything by Sallinger,  but I've heard that The Royal Tenenbaums has a Sallingeresque tone.

you should read Franny and Zooey. Wes Anderson got a lot of ideas for Tenenbaums from this book.

Sigur Rós

101 Reykjavik

This is a "most-see"!

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: RaikusI thought they might be making a sequel to Field of Dreams from your topic title.

There's plenty of good movies with the social refugee as the protagonist. I'm more fond of the Rabbit, Run type movies myself: American Beauty, Cool Hand Luke, Lost in Translation, etc.

Rabbit, Run type movies?