Potential... but no...

Started by SoNowThen, January 08, 2004, 04:27:19 PM

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenWhat I mean is those movies that even time hasn't saved, movies by a master director, or with a seemingly perfect cast, that just didn't quite add up. They're not bad, but they will never get mentioned in the "his best work" sections.

Quote from: ewardthe general
Wrong on so many levels.

godardian

Lost Highway. Another one I'm willing to see again, but... this is the closes Lynch has come to slick goth-kid art. As I recall it, it had very little organic or emotional and Lynch's worst soundtrack- three things that each Lynch film requires to balance it and make it whole and perfect, as so many of his movie are.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianLost Highway. Another one I'm willing to see again, but...

Please do...

It's the most frustrating (and one of the best) Lynch films I've seen. It may not be fair to compare it to Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive, because I think its greatness comes from the nuances and implications of that frustration, and not conventional emotion.

Alethia

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SoNowThenWhat I mean is those movies that even time hasn't saved, movies by a master director, or with a seemingly perfect cast, that just didn't quite add up. They're not bad, but they will never get mentioned in the "his best work" sections.

Wrong on so many levels.

dont misunderstand me, its not bad by any means, i just dont get from keaton quite what i get from chaplin.....i guess given sonowthens original statement, the in "his best work" sections thing im wrong, but i'm not wrong in saying it didn't 100% work for me.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Cinephile

Wrong on so many levels.

dont misunderstand me, its not bad by any means, i just dont get from keaton quite what i get from chaplin.....i guess given sonowthens original statement, the in "his best work" sections thing im wrong, but i'm not wrong in saying it didn't 100% work for me.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself to that reply.

lamas

how about The Score?  DeNiro, Brando, Norton...  and it was just blah.

NEON MERCURY

.i actually thought that Snake Eyes was gonna rock....and i agre w/the Score...and all the other ones mentiooned EXCEPT FOR PI.....also i would like to add....Grannd Cannyon......Gosford Park.....Twin Peaks:FWWM....The Fountain.......Ali was a really good choice....Solaris(sodergergh).....

Alethia

Quote from: NEON MERCURYGosford Park

how come?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: eward
Quote from: NEON MERCURYGosford Park

how come?

i  was so slow......and im not the kind of person who onnly watches films that have exsplosions ....but this was paced awfully.....i couldn't get into it....the cast was stellar...Altman is badass.....i loved short cuts...m*a*s*h.....the player.....its just this one coul dhave been up to my and (maybe others)..expectatoins it edited/paced better......believe me it has nothing to do with dialogue heavy films ....i can watch thin red line, in the company of men, etc....al day its just this one 'coulda been a contenda'

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

:shock:

i.......i don........i don't.............

nix

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

pookiethecat

well to clarify punchdrunk love, it is definitely anderson's least satisfying movie at this point.  the ending was halfbaked, the emily watson character never developed, the themes and plot were confuddled (was the basic plot about healthy choice, phone sex, or love?), and the scenes just went nowhere (hence the great chase ends in "why you runnin? we know where you live."  one of the cheapest ways to end it, i felt.).  the overall movie wasn't funny.  there were parts that were genuinely romantic (and funny) such as in the bed (the 'i wanna smash your face' dialogue), but overall i didn't find the chemistry between adam sandler and emily watson to be very palpable.  pta also switches between locations as if it's no great deal.  the movie felt like a brainfart with ingenius moments if you looked closely at them.  it did not resemble cohesion of ideas.
i wanna lick 'em.

Quote from: pookiethecatwell to clarify punchdrunk love, it is definitely anderson's least satisfying movie at this point.  the ending was halfbaked, the emily watson character never developed, the themes and plot were confuddled (was the basic plot about healthy choice, phone sex, or love?), and the scenes just went nowhere (hence the great chase ends in "why you runnin? we know where you live."  one of the cheapest ways to end it, i felt.).  the overall movie wasn't funny.  there were parts that were genuinely romantic (and funny) such as in the bed (the 'i wanna smash your face' dialogue), but overall i didn't find the chemistry between adam sandler and emily watson to be very palpable.  pta also switches between locations as if it's no great deal.  the movie felt like a brainfart with ingenius moments if you looked closely at them.  it did not resemble cohesion of ideas.

context, context, context.

Pas

Ali, Satyricon and most of all, Dune ! This should have been the greatest sci-fi movie ever.

By the way, these movies have been named on this thread, never forget it :

Taxi Driver
Silence of the Lambs
The General
Vertigo

Goddamn, people ...