WorldForgot

WorldForgot

jenkins

movies unknown to me appearing on 2020 lists

WorldForgot

^posted about TIME in our Docs recommendations thread ~

jenkins

sorry I'm just lumping stuff together and this thread has turned positive

To the Ends of the Earth has opened in virtual cinema. I don't really understand virtual cinema (I haven't read about it) but for example it's here today, I'm not sure where it will be tomorrow. I think this movie would work for you guys

Kiyoshi Kurosawa, who some of us learned about through Cure. or Pulse. maybe Tokyo Sonata

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on December 20, 2020, 07:03:06 PM
I don't really understand virtual cinema

My only experience so far was to see the recent live "virtual" screening of Phantom Thread--with Adam intro'ing the film, and interviewing Vicki post-screening.  You connect via a web-browser.   I missed the first 25 minutes because the website wouldn't connect, and also managed to get it 'mirrored' to my Roku device so I could watch it on the (bigger) screen.  I stayed anyway and found the interview interesting enough to have made it worth my $5 fee to join for the month.    I'd do it again if I deemed the film/event exciting enough--or wanted to support the theater chain in question.

jenkins

oh man, I'd be so bummed if I showed up to a non-physical theater and was still late to the screening

I went to the above movie's official website and I see it has release dates in different theaters. it opened at VIFF, you can see it there until 07 January 2021, and it's opening in other theaters too, the release list is on the official website I linked to. it appears to be available for a period of days and not otherwise confined to starting times

you know wbf I'm not sure if you'd like it but what's going on here is a horror filmmaker has applied his cinematic grammar to the quotidian, such that the ordinary horrors of life are appearing in a cinematically palpable form

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on December 20, 2020, 08:24:32 PM
you know wbf I'm not sure if you'd like it but what's going on here is a horror filmmaker has applied his cinematic grammar to the quotidian, such that the ordinary horrors of life are appearing in a cinematically palpable form

You made me curious enough to check it out, but you're right.  It's not a bad film by any means, just a very slight one to me.  I got the gist in the first 30 minutes and bailed at the 90 min mark.  Not proud of that, necessarily, but life just feels too short these days. Gotta move on to the next thing on the watch list...

jenkins

classic wbf. i'm truly not sure why you watch so many movies in the first place, but every now and then you find your Peanut Butter Falcon

wilberfan

Trust me, it's just as disturbing to me as it must be for some of you.  A lifelong cinephile, the disconnect from contemporary cinema over the past decade or so is....deeply disappointing.  Maybe I watch too many other things--documentaries, limited series, much of which I respond to much more strongly.

But yes, the intermittent reinforcement of finding a Peanut Butter Falcon or Deerskin keeps me in the game, I guess.

In the meantime, I've got Lovers Rock, Ma Rainey, and Sound of Metal queued up.

jenkins

Deerskin and Peanut Butter Falcon, well i just don't know what to do with that information. there's a certain lightness there

you're definitely the Armond White of contemporary cinema, which i've mentioned before and you googled him, and also i've defended Armond White too

wilberfan

I prefer a Large if we're having T-shirts made. 

jenkins

lol i would definitely wholesomely laugh if i saw a person wearing a The Armond White of Contemporary Cinema t-shirt. that strikes me as a funny idea in general. i want to wear a The Radley Metzger of Tuesday Nights t-shirt