Classics I'm Not A Fan Of...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, December 02, 2003, 05:50:24 PM

©brad

Quote from: SHAFTRyou better be joking.

or else what?

Gold Trumpet

Godardian,
I'm stretched for time right now to really respond to your last post, but let me address the obvious strain between us. Yea, I do think we look at films differently. I see content and structure very high on my list, instead of execution as first and foremost. It isn't that I omit execution at all; I just see it as something for the benefit of content and structure more so. This difference has definitely been showings its head in some of our last discussions on movies that have led to a stiff disagreeance instead of a mutual one. I can safely say I definitely appreciate your posts, but I'm ever changing and as I attempt to actually get into a good school for film next year (my grades suck, so who knows) it will allow me to get different perspectives on films. Doesn't mean I'm saying my opinion is still amateur, but I can learn a lot with going to film school.

SHAFTR

Quote from: ©brad

or else what?

I taunt you a second time.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

or else what?

Or else you personally deal with the next thread addressing the locking of this thread in Idle Chatter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin

or else what?

Or else you personally deal with the next thread addressing the locking of this thread in Idle Chatter.

Seriously though, I see no reason this thread should be locked.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I think this thread is upsetting some people because people are denouncing a lot of accepted films, but hey, its movie discussion. These are the kind of threads most people complain should be here.

Fernando

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Pi propose we change the name of this thread to "Who Hates The Best Movies?"

Oh, yes... I see plenty of people around here with some 'splaining to do. "All Kubrick films" had to have been a joke... had to have. Even notorious Kubrick detractor Pauline Kael loved Lolita!

"Everybody pretty much agrees Stanley is the man, and I think that still underrates him." Jack Nicholson

P What about: "Who Hates The Best Movies?: or how GT started to hate and loath classical cinema."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

xerxes

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Pi propose we change the name of this thread to "Who Hates The Best Movies?"

Oh, yes... I see plenty of people around here with some 'splaining to do. "All Kubrick films" had to have been a joke... had to have. Even notorious Kubrick detractor Pauline Kael loved Lolita!

funny i hated (that may be a little too strong) lolita and liked all the others that i've seen... except 2001... although i do think the first 20 mins of 2001 is some great stuff.

Slick Shoes

I saw it a long time ago... maybe I just need to give it another chance.

Double Indemnity
Before the flaming begins, let me just say that I love Wilder and I love film noir, but I don't know where Woody Allen was coming from when he said this was the best film ever made.

Lord of the Rings (FOTR & TTT)
These are generally considered classics already, right? I can appreciate the outstanding craftsmanship that went into these movies, they just didn't do anything for me.

Vile5

Casablanca (i never knew why, why?)
Ben Hur (too Hollywood for me)
E.T. (the movie is nice but nothing more, well for me)
Star Wars (i liked it, but never was a fan)
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

classical gas

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: classical gasI really didn't enjoy "Vertigo" as much as I thought I would.  It probably was built up so much, having been listed many times as one of the top three American films of all time.  It was definitely good though.  I think a lot of classic films suffer, in my eyes, because I wasn't around when they came out to notice how much of a breakthrough they were.

I've never been able to honestly give a film that benefit of the doubt type respect, where you don't particulary like it but you talk about how great it must have been in its time, how it must have been a big breakthrough...like you were describing...I've never been able to figure that out. To me, if a film is truly classic, its almost essential that it has a sense of timelessness to it....cinema is too young of a medium for the age of a film to be an excuse for a lack of quality. Buster Keaton and The Marx Brothers are as entertaining as can be in our time, and a lot that came out damn near the beginning of cinema in the 20's and 30's....if they're still great than why can't films like All Quiet on the Western Front be? It's too old? No, it just sucks. It's boring. Not because it's old, it's just a bad film. Say what you will about the book, I haven't read it. But it doesn't DESERVE respect because it's old, that's bullshit I think. I understand the significance of early innovations in cinema but I don't agree with liking or dislikng a film based on those innovations, that's not right.

Footnote: If it's younger than Keaton's stuff, this excuse is scrapped for me.

okay, i'm a little late in replying, i forgot about this post.  i in no way dislike movies because they're older.  i enjoy older films more than newer films for the most part.  i own more films prior to the 70's.  
i was just using vertigo as an example where it could be that it's considered so great because it was new and exciting, etc.  it is still a great film, but in no way do i consider it in the top three of american cinema.  sorry if i came off wrong in my post.  i can still find older films exciting and new and fresh, just not this particular film.

Ernie

Yea, but then there's those damn things called opinions.

I have a question, were you referring to me in with this....

Quotehating classic movies makes me feel like a real man.

Just in case you were - I only really HATE The Usual Suspects, Aresenic and Old Lace, Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart out of all the ones I listed..the rest just didn't click with me as CLASSICS....just to clarify...I don't even dislike some of them. American Beauty should never be called a bad film. Nor should Chinatown or The Grapes of Wrath or Spartcus or even Titanic, it's not a bad film at all. Then there's stuff like Sling Blade which is a bad film imo but not something that I really hate. I refuse to pretend to like a film just because it's classic, like I said, that's retarded, I'll never ever do that.

It really saddens me to see Citizen Kane getting the kind of treatment it's getting, I gotta say. I can't believe less people have defended CK than the Usual fucking Suspects, that film wants to fuck itself, it's the absolute most SMUG piece of shit I've ever seen, no lie. I hate it so much. I don't care who argues. I'll never get past it's arrogance, it can be seen in EVERY single aspect of the film...writing, directing, acting...EVERYTHING...i never want to see it again. I'm not even normally like this with films I don't like. 90% of the time, I'm more than ready to give a film a second chance or try and look at another way or find the good in it but that's one of those films that's just EVIL in my eyes....like Pay It Forward and Armageddon...stuff that I flat out refuse to even watch for two seconds. It's definitely not healthy and definitely not good for cinema...those are the kind of bad films that aren't harmless like Kangaroo Jack and Good Burger and stuff like that...those are films that should really be banned from the universe.

Gamblour.

Quote from: ebeaman

Yea, but then there's those damn things called opinions.

I have a question, were you referring to me in with this....

Just in case you were - I only really HATE The Usual Suspects, Aresenic and Old Lace, Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart out of all the ones I listed..the rest just didn't click with me as CLASSICS....just to clarify...I don't even dislike some of them. American Beauty should never be called a bad film. Nor should Chinatown or The Grapes of Wrath or Spartcus or even Titanic, it's not a bad film at all. Then there's stuff like Sling Blade which is a bad film imo but not something that I really hate.

It really saddens me to see Citizen Kane getting the kind of treatment it's getting, I gotta say.

But Arsenic and Old Lace is one of the funniest movies ever made. Cary Grant is like a fucking cartoon, how can you not love that?
WWPTAD?

Ernie

Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreBut Arsenic and Old Lace is one of the funniest movies ever made. Cary Grant is like a fucking cartoon, how can you not love that?

Grant isn't as good as he usually is imo but he's not really part of my gripe...it's those two fucking old ladies that got me, they were absolutely HORRIBLE. WORST actresses ever. Most annoying I mean! Most annoying of all I've ever seen! And therefore, they suck. Their dialogue sucked cock as it was, they didn't even make any attempt to improve upon it.