Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on March 08, 2011, 05:24:30 PM
Still haven't received my items  :yabbse-angry: The only thing they sent me was that stupid Criterion baseball cap. Yeah, I'm wearing it now, but only because I feel I have to. I hate it! :elitist:

i was smiling and frowning at the same time reading this.
the one last hit that spent you...

The Perineum Falcon

Stef, I received my order a week ago, have they not contacted you at all about yours?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

They said everything was backordered and they would email me when everything was back in stock. Oh well.  :(
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

This is much much much better:

JUNE TITLES! (all images are links)

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

No BD upgrades?   :yabbse-undecided:

Also, I still haven't received my crap from the sale last month!  :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

i don't usually complain about cover art around here but that cover for Kiss Me Deadly is atrocious.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

doesn't surprise me anymore, even though it's the worst they've done in a while, they officially jumped the shark about 10 pages ago..

and if you're wondering why i bring it up every few pages it's because i've never bought a criterion film so my only reason for ever clicking on this thread has been to look at the pretty pictures.
under the paving stones.

classical gas

I actually really liked the cover for Kiss Me Deadly.  Isn't it supposed to look that way for a reason?  I haven't seen the film, but isn't it some kind of b-movie, noir type?  I guess it still could be considered lazy, but it was strangely appealing to me.

Pubrick

i don't think criterion is in the business of making b-films look like actual trash. otherwise something truly B-quality (which kiss me deadly isn't) like Carnival of Souls would have a worse cover:

what's wrong with KMD is it has no discernible colour scheme, the font is generic and uninspired, everything about it feels like a place-holder for later improvement, and the image they've chosen to represent the film is not even properly framed.. the dominant black and white also clashes with every other aesthetic choice. maybe if the giant blu-ray sticker wasn't covering that broad's leg we'd have something.. anything..

the blu ray sticker is officially worse than the awkward C.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

It's designed to look like a pulp paperback cover of the era, which it's mostly successful at achieving. Even with that in mind, though, it has some design issues.
My house, my rules, my coffee

classical gas

true, it would be better to do away with the red block for sure; i just liked the image.  like i said, i've never seen the film, but it seemed to capture a little of what a b-film is like, which is how an imdb user described it as...not sure which is worse, that i judged the cover of a film i had never seen or that i actually trusted an imdb user to help me in that judgement. 

Pas

Kiss me Deadly's cover is a thouaand times better than the Fanny dans le Metro one.

If not for he blu ray thing I'd say it looks good, though it has little to do wih movie I guess. Huge spoiler on the bottom part though!

socketlevel

I saw insignificance about 16 years ago and every once and a while it would pop in my head. The problem was i could never remember the title of the film... until now. And now that I know who Nicholas Roeg is, I'm even more excited to see it again. Bad Timing is one of my all time favorite films.

Side note - has anyone noticed that Jim O'Rourke (musician/music producer, was in sonic youth for a bit) named a lot of his albums after Nicholas Roeg films?

here is a great track from the "Insignificance" album:

the one last hit that spent you...

Jeremy Blackman

Life During Wartime doesn't even deserve to be on DVD.

wilder