Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Sleepless

Empire Online tweeted about this today. Are they getting their news from xixax?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on December 03, 2010, 02:28:48 PM
if there's anything special added on the Magnolia one, I might have to get it

The e-mail hint will be:

"But it did happen"

or whatever that quote is.  :yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sleepless on December 03, 2010, 02:42:34 PM
Empire Online tweeted about this today. Are they getting their news from xixax?

no, everyone and their dog is talking about these fake Criterion covers.  I don't really get why they're such a big deal...  people have been doing fake CC Covers forever and a lot of these are designed kinda poorly.

polkablues

This really makes me wish I could find the old "Goodburger" Criterion cover someone here made. That was back in the pre-diagonal-C-logo days.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

March titles, The Times of Harvey Milk, Topsy-Turvy, and The Mikado. Plus Blu Rays for Yi Yi and Au revoir les enfants.

* Director-approved digital transfer, from the meticulous UCLA Film and Television Archive restoration (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
   * Audio commentary featuring director Robert Epstein,coeditor Deborah Hoffmann, and photographer Daniel Nicoletta
   * New interview with documentary filmmaker and UC Berkeley professor Jon Else
   * New program about The Times of Harvey Milk and Gus Van Sant's Milk, featuring Epstein, Van Sant, actor James Franco, and Milk friends Cleve Jones, Anne Kronenberg, and Nicoletta
   * Postscript containing interview clips not used in the film
   * Rare collection of audio and video recordings of Harvey Milk
   * Interview excerpts from Epstein's research tapes
   * Footage from the film's Castro Theatre premiere and the 1984 Academy Awards ceremony
   * Panel discussion on Supervisor Dan White's controversial trial
   * Excerpts from the twenty-fifth anniversary commemoration of Milk's and Mayor George Moscone's assassinations
   * Original theatrical trailer
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic B. RubyRich, a tribute by Milk's nephew Stuart Milk, and a piece on the film's restoration by the UCLA Film and Television Archive's Ross Lipman

* Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Dick Pope (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
   * Audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh
   * New video conversation between Leigh and the film's musical director, Gary Yershon
   * A Sense of History, Leigh's 1992 short film written by and starring actor Jim Broadbent
   * Deleted scenes
   * Featurette from 1999 including interviews with Leigh, stars Broadbent and Allan Corduner, and other cast members
   * Theatrical trailer and TV spots
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Amy Taubin

* Newly remastered digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
   * New video interview with Topsy-Turvy director Mike Leigh on The Mikado and its adaptation for the screen
   * New video interview with Mikado scholars Josephine Lee and Ralph MacPhail Jr., tracing the 1939 filmed version of the opera back to its 1885 stage debut
   * More!
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien

Stefen

I remember seeing the Topsy Turvy trailer when I saw Being John Malkovich in the theater and I shouted gay at the screen. I see it now and just say, "no thanks"

I've grown up so much.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

IFC just tweeted this:

RT @CriterionCorner: CERTIFIED COPY is being released by @IFCFilms on 3/11/11. this young decade's best film & a future @Criterion classic.

I love the Kiarostami I've seen, and this news excites me more than March's release slate. I'm not familiar with any of the 3, but I'm not biting at the bit to find out more.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

I know that will make sambong take a cold shower.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Is Breaking the Waves too much of a stretch?
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

The Perineum Falcon

I don't know, that'd be nice, but I'm sooooooo excited to hear that Vigo may be getting a place amongst the Criterion. I hope hope hope they'd make some sort of box for him, since he has so few films.

I'm pretty stoked about this year.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: A. Yzsaakc on January 12, 2011, 05:14:08 PM
Is Breaking the Waves too much of a stretch?

Not necessarily. People with better ideas than me of Criterion norms list it as a good possibility and Criterion probably wants to establish Lars Von Trier as a prerequisite for the catalog, especially if his library is more accessible. Criterion should be able to get hold of Breaking the Waves in this DVD landscape at some point. A real special edition of the film doesn't exist in Region 1 so it's due for real attention again.