Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Pas

Quote from: picolas on May 07, 2009, 10:46:04 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on May 07, 2009, 10:33:56 PM
2)try shooting yourself in the brain and you cannot die because this future assumes you will be going back to ''your present''. You don't even have to shoot yourself : You own two sentences are paradoxical (sp?)... the future doesn't know yet if you will or won't go back in the past. You say ''time is time is time'' but now that your are in the future, how can the future know if you will get hit by a bus ? the future is your new present until you go back in your ''own present''
you can totally die in the future or shoot yourself. that's fine. it's not a paradox. marty didn't.

Last intervention about this lol

What I meant was that you say that I haven't been missing for 30 years because I will eventually go back to my present at the same time I left (Marty style). This assumption means that there is no possibility for me to NOT go back in my present because according to your theory the future already knows I'll go back (proven by me never have been missing and exisiting in the future). so you wouldn't be able to die in the furure according to your theory.

ANYWAY I think Gamblour nailed it with the his distinction of through and along. It's totally that, the two way of travel are completely different. I happen to think that the ''through'' way is much easier in terms pf plot holes management because the past becomes ''the real present'' and you are not re-enacting a theater play like in the ''along'' version.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 08, 2009, 07:09:53 AM
ANYWAY I think Gamblour nailed it with the his distinction of through and along. It's totally that, the two way of travel are completely different. I happen to think that the ''through'' way is much easier in terms pf plot holes management because the past becomes ''the real present'' and you are not re-enacting a theater play like in the ''along'' version.

Yes, and Lost seems to be going to the "along" route. Things that have happened so far have been fatalistic. I remember once having a conversation with someone about, I think, the film Primer and he 'hated' it because it mixed deterministic and fatalistic time travel.

I had no fucking idea what he was talking about until this conversation. If I wasn't so drunk when I wrote that, I would have called the types of travel deterministic and fatalistic. Deterministic obviously means you can determine what happens (e.g., BTTF). Fatalistic means you can't, that it is written (e.g., Timecrimes).

Lost is currently fatalistic, as Faraday explains, but Jack thinks it's deterministic because he wants to blow up the bomb. The fatalistic route doesn't mean they can't do whatever they want, it just means whatever they did resulted in where they are (hence the concept of course correction being introduced two season ago).
WWPTAD?

ElPandaRoyal

I really lost myself with some of the timelines of Lost. I still enjoy it a lot, but I can't really say I fully understand what's going on. Just, like, if Richard saw them die in the past, wouldn't he remember those people in the future? I don't remember if in the present timeline Richard ever crossed paths with Sawyer, Kate, Jack, Hurley or Jin, but he knows who they are, since he's the one who gives Locke the file on Sawyer, to make him kill Locke's father on season 3. But then, when Sun asks Richard if he knows any of the people in the photo, he acts like he only knew them from the past and not from when they crashed on the island the first time. Is this confusing to anyone else?
Si

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

JG

they haven't addressed it, but, yes, he would have at least been aware of their existence in 2004, even if he didn't come in close contact with them. there is no way around that.

Pas

Fernando

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on May 08, 2009, 02:00:28 PM
if Richard saw them die in the past, wouldn't he remember those people in the future? I don't remember if in the present timeline Richard ever crossed paths with Sawyer, Kate, Jack, Hurley or Jin, but he knows who they are, since he's the one who gives Locke the file on Sawyer, to make him kill Locke's father on season 3. But then, when Sun asks Richard if he knows any of the people in the photo, he acts like he only knew them from the past and not from when they crashed on the island the first time. Is this confusing to anyone else?

doesn't she asks if he remembers them back then?? I mean from the 70's, I think Richard is aware of them but so far it looks like he has always been careful about what to do/say or not to. anyway, he's an amazing enigmatic character and I'd love if they do an all Richard episode next season.

as far as the time travel trouble, i dont find it that difficult to understand except what polka said about the compass, it seems it's on a time loop...

and that exchange between Hugo and Dr. Chang was hysterical. funniest lost moment (so far)

Pas

hahah yes I burst out laughing too, Hugo is always great

polkablues

That was one of the funniest bits of dialogue ever.

"So you fought in the Korean War?"
"There's... no... such thing?"
My house, my rules, my coffee

edison

That exchange was great also considering he wanted to be briefed when he arrived to the camp about information about that particular time only to be shot down by Sawyer that he was not going to be quizzed.

MacGuffin

'Lost' co-creator Damon Lindelof explains The Numbers

For five seasons, they've haunted Hurley, they've haunted us:  4 8 15 16 23  and 42.

What do they mean? Do they mean anything? Are we wasting our time caring?

Damon Lindelof, the ABC series' co-creator, attended a Comics on Comics event at Meltdown Wednesday night and explained the numbers as well as some other interesting tidbits about the future of "Lost."

E! Online attended the event and posted the Q&A, which you can find here.

As far as those menacing digits, this is what Lindelof said:

"The Hanso Foundation that started the Dharma Initiative hired this guy Valenzetti to basically work on this equation to determine what was the probability of the world ending in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Valenzetti basically deduced that it was 100 percent within the next 27 years, so the Hanso Foundation started the Dharma Initiative in an effort to try to change the variables in the equation so that mankind wouldn't wipe it itself out."

This information, in more convoluted form, was leaked out via the online games rather than explained on the show itself, Lindelof said, because "That would be the worst thing ever. We have to make the show for the hard-core fans who care about the numbers, but we also have to make it for my mom, who just wants Sawyer to take his shirt off."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

arghhh I hate this kinda stuff. Are we to dedicate our life to pursue explanations on every media possible

Gamblour.

Hm that's weird. That seems like information that should end up on the show at some point.
WWPTAD?

diggler

yea that seemed like a pretty big bomb to drop, to not put it on the show seems strange. all season i've been waiting for them to explain more about what Dharma is actually doing. it's interesting that Damon doesn't think it matters.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

picolas

Quote from: ddiggler on May 10, 2009, 09:11:49 PMit's interesting that Damon doesn't think it matters.
yeah.. how would that be "the worst thing ever"?? it's a pretty cool backstory. i've never been interested in the meaning behind the numbers though, because i never thought there could be a satisfying explanation.