Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

diggler

Quote from: Sleepless on June 03, 2009, 12:29:36 PM
Seems so. I didn't watch the recap episode. My friend's a fool.

don't sweat it, i wouldn't have known if someone on the internet hadn't found out for me.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

Holy shit, as per usual, I did not go the extra step and realize that Jack's dad was probably possessed as well. Thank you sleepless! Jacob getting back to the island?? I think so. But then, where is the body?
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Still care about ABC's Lost? Here's 'Ben' on what's coming in the final season
Source: SciFi Wire

As usual, all things about ABC's Lost are hush-hush, lest any posters on the Fuselage message boards get wind of spoilers, but rumors persist that long-departed cast members such as Maggie Grace may return for at least one appearance in the show's sixth and final season.

First things first, though: Are the regulars still coming back? Season five ended with a bomb exploding in the past, possibly erasing the entire present of the show.

Michael Emerson, who plays Ben Linus, confirmed that at least he is still an active part of the show. "My understanding is that I am," Emerson said in an exclusive interview last week at the Saturn Awards in Burbank, Calif. "For how much of season six, that's a good question."

Yes, more cryptic answers from the actor who plays the most cryptic character on the show. He even kiboshed my theory about erasing the present timeline. If the bomb prevented the crash of Oceanic Flight 815, seeing everybody live happily ever after wouldn't earn high ratings for the finale.

"I could see why you might think that, but from my perspective as playing that character who arrived late on that show, it doesn't sound terribly dramatic unless there's something in that equation that I don't quite get," Emerson said. "I'm just curious about what dramatic paths we'll follow."

One dramatic path might be further explorations of the mysterious Jacob. The fifth-season finale revealed Jacob as a corporal presence, but still not quite human. Ben stabbed him, intending to kill Jacob. "I'm still not sure that he's a person like you and [me]," Emerson said. "I'm still not sure he's a person like Ben. Is he killable? I don't know. We haven't been to his funeral yet, so I don't know. I don't know where all that's going."

Season six might finally give us more Ben flashbacks. We've seen Ben in flash-forwards, sending Sayid on assassination missions and trying to shoot Desmond. We've met Young Ben in the past, but we have yet to see much of Ben as an adult.

"What constitutes a proper Ben flashback?" Emerson said. "There are some gaps in Ben's bio, and I think we may look backward a couple of times this season. I'm just guessing."

Don't expect any big changes for Ben, though. While audiences have seen him go from Henry Gale to the evil leader of the Others to a sympathetic young boy, Emerson has always acted as Ben and will continue to do so. "Ben has always seemed straightforward to me, and I don't think Ben has changed much over time," he said. "I think audience perceptions of Ben [have] changed."

In a separate interview at the Saturns, Lost executive producer Carlton Cuse told a group of reporters that he would not answer any questions about the coming season, not even with vague, dodgy answers. But he promised that he and fellow executive producer Damon Lindelof will be ready to answer questions for fans attending the Lost panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month.

"I hope you're coming to Comic-Con," Cuse said in a group interview. "Traditionally, Damon and I go into radio silence this time of year, and then at Comic-Con, we will answer questions. We want to give the fans a chance to speculate and theorize about what they saw in the finale, so we don't want to kind of be interpreting the finale at this point. Come Comic-Con, we'll have a few more things to say about what's going to happen in season six."

Somebody please ask whether we're going to see what happened if the plane never crashed, so Cuse will give us an answer. "Perhaps, or it will be evaded in more elaborate detail," he said.

Lost returns in January 2010 on ABC.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lost: The Complete Fifth Season is due on DVD and Blu-ray from Disney on 12/8 (SRP $59.99 and $79.99). There will also be a Limited Edition DVD Gift Set version that includes Dharma Initiative packaging and swag for $119.99.

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

av club

The Lost Lawsuit Is Someone's Constant
Further adventures in unconvincing lawsuits
By Amelie Gillette July 15, 2009

Anthony Spinner is the veteran producer behind Baretta, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and several other TV shows, and in 1977, evidently after being visited by a time-travelin' Daniel Farraday, he wrote a script for ABC about a band of plane crash survivors who land in a mysterious tropical locale. Spinner claims his rejected script (which he resubmitted in 1991 and 1994) was eventually made into ABC's Lost, and he's now suing the network for royalties. Which brings me to the question: When is the lawsuit?
From TMZ:

Anthony Spinner--a producer on "Baretta" and "Babes in Toyland" -- says back in 1977 he was paid $30,000 to write a TV pilot, which eventually became a 121-page script called "Lost."

Spinner lists a ton of similarities in his suit -- which was filed on July 10 -- notably an "airplane headed to Los Angeles [that] crashes into a tropical jungle-like environment."

So he came up with the idea of having a TV show about an airplane crash? He doesn't even say here that his plane crashed on an island, just a "tropical jungle-like environment." But that's not the only vague plot point Spinner is claiming to have come up with before Lost. From his lawsuit: 

Spinner: Survivor suffers from drug addiction (Kyle) vs. ABC's Lost: Survivor suffers from drug addiction (Charlie)

Spinner: Ethnic minority character (Coby) must deal with racial slurs especially from one character (Butch) vs. ABC's Lost: Ethnic minority character (Sayid) must deal with racial slurs especially from one character (Sawyer)

Spinner: Jealousy erupts when a man (Butch) sees that woman's attention is focused on another man (Jackie focused on Hagan)  vs. ABC's Lost: Jealousy erupts when a man (Jack) sees that woman's attention is focused on another man (Kate focused on Sawyer)

Spinner: Physically fit and durable young woman (Jackie/Diane) suffers from the recent loss of her partner and can perform many of the same physical tasks as men. vs. ABC's Lost: Physically fit and durable young woman (Kate) suffers from the recent loss of her partner and can perform many of the same physical tasks as men

Spinner: Killing off a lead. vs. ABC's Lost: Killing off a lead.

Okay, so to sum up, not only did Spinner introduce the concept of a plane crash to ABC for the very first time, he also is responsible for such narrative innovations as 1. Having a character with a drug problem 2. Having a character who is a minority and another one who's kinda a racist 3. Inventing the concept of a love triangle 4. Inventing the concept of a strong woman and 5. Killing off a main character. Has Spinner seen Grey's Anatomy, or Desperate Housewives, or even Ugly Betty? Because considering this impressive list of original concepts, I'm pretty sure he could sue ABC for aspects of some of those shows as well.
Granted, there is at least one striking similarity between what Spinner alleges he came up with and what was eventually on Lost:

Spinner: Cold weather animals in a warm tropical jungle (Saber Tooth Tiger) vs. ABC's Lost: Cold weather animals in a warm tropical jungle (Polar Bear)

So close...and yet so far. I mean, a Saber Tooth Tiger? That would have been ridiculous.

Pas

This article make the accusation seem silly but it's really similar. He's got a case.

picolas

could you link to said case?

Pas

Quote from: picolas on July 16, 2009, 07:09:30 PM
could you link to said case?

From what I've read what Spinner pitched to ABC looks pretty similar. Then again, this story is an old one you will say. I do agree. But it's the addition of similarities. anyway, you can read comments there http://www.docarzt.com/lost/the-lost-lawsuit-my-opinion/ , especially the ones by Zeke. someone said on there that this is a marketing stunt and I think it is plausible too.

polkablues

The fact that the year 1977 features prominently in both the suit and the current show storyline, I'm leaning towards marketing stunt. We'll see.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Comic-Con: 'Lost' producers vow 'everything that matters will be answered'

Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof are Comic-Con royalty, so when they alluded to this being their last time addressing the throng as the producers of ABC's "Lost," a mass groan rose from the crowd Saturday morning in Hall H.

Well, everyone knew this day was coming. Cuse and Lindelof had arrived to set up the sixth and final season of their desert-island thriller. And they tried to lessen the pain by billing their appearance as "fan appreciation" day.

Lindelof assured the faithful that all the mythology and mysterious plot points would indeed be wrapped up this season.

"Yeah, everything that matters will be answered," he told the crowd, still leaving some wriggle room for theorists (what doesn't matter?). Cuse even took the step of saying he was locking the scripted ending in a sealed chest, which would prove the writers were not making everything up as they went along, as some skeptics have insisted.

As they have in the past, the producers made it clear that they were relieved to be able to announce a clear end date for the series. The pair famously battled over the issue with ABC executives, who were loath to let go of something with such a devoted fan base. "The biggest moment in the show's life was when were able to announce the show's death," Lindelof said.

But as for details on this final season, the producers revealed little. "We will be as honest and forthcoming as we never were," Lindelof joked at the beginning of the session.

Instead, the pair trotted out plenty of surprises aimed squarely at hardcore Losties. Hall H erupted in pandemonium when Jorge Garcia, who plays the beefy Hurley, showed up at the microphone to ask a question, only to be interrupted by costar Michael Emerson. As the two engaged in a mock argument, hundreds of fans screamed and lifted cellphones to snap a picture. The producers then showed a gag reel of Emerson, looking nervous and wearing a baseball cap, supposedly auditioning for the part of Hurley back in 2004.

Indeed, the session brought a cornucopia of bits that can be added to future DVDs and to the overall "Lost" mythology. One favorite: A mock TV spot for Oceanic Airlines. That, of course, is the carrier at the center of the plane crash that launched the series.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

John Hawkes joins 'Lost' for final season
'Deadwood' actor will take on the role of Lennon

John Hawkes is joining the final season of "Lost" as a recurring.

The "Deadwood" alum will play Lennon, the scruffy, edgy and charismatic spokesperson and translator for the president of a foreign corporation who is far more powerful than it seems from his position.

Hawkes, who played budding entrepreneur and politician Sol Star on David Milch's Western "Deadwood," recently co-starred on another HBO series, the offbeat comedy "Eastbound & Down."

His feature credits include "American Gangster" and "Miami Vice."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

one of many deadwood actors to join LOST.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

(keeps fingers crossed for ian macshane)
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty