Best use of 3+ hours of film (other than Magnolia)?

Started by ShanghaiOrange, December 17, 2003, 03:12:41 PM

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: Gamblor du JourNo to Barry Lyndon

I think you mean "yes"

unless you didn't really watch it...

you do have eyes right?

No I don't, thank god for this Braille monitor.

In that Von Trier and PTA bb interview, Lars said that Nicole Kidman said that Kubrick thought Lyndon was too long. I think that's justification enough, but still, I didn't say that film wasn't a looker, it's just boring. I will give you this, I haven't seen it in a long time.

I'm getting annoyed by the continuing use of "Author says so.." to try to end discussions. It should be understood what the author says is just another opinion. Is Kubrick the most unbias source for an opinion? Hardly. I gurantee if Barry Lyndon was the success he promised it would be to WB executives, he would praise it afterwards. Kubrick was highly confident while making the film and had all the time to make the film. He was just dissapointed by its dismal business and that he had to do this film in place of his Napolean project.

I don't see what's wrong with citing Kubrick's opinion about his own work. It is just another opinion, but it's probably the most important opinion and the most insightful into the work. Kubrick's got more experience than me, I think what he had to say about his own work is important to help understand what he was trying to do with it. Since he thought it was too long, maybe he realized it could've been more efficient and still be as thorough if he had cut off some of the fat, but in general he acknowledged that something could've been done better about the length. As for what he would've done if the film was successful, I don't see how you can form an opinion based on what you think he would've done if something different had happened.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblor du JourI don't see what's wrong with citing Kubrick's opinion about his own work. It is just another opinion, but it's probably the most important opinion and the most insightful into the work. Kubrick's got more experience than me, I think what he had to say about his own work is important to help understand what he was trying to do with it. Since he thought it was too long, maybe he realized it could've been more efficient and still be as thorough if he had cut off some of the fat, but in general he acknowledged that something could've been done better about the length. As for what he would've done if the film was successful, I don't see how you can form an opinion based on what you think he would've done if something different had happened.

OK, you're right. I'm sorry. I thought you were implying something else.

mutinyco

Yeah, but up until EWS it was widely accepted that Kubrick considered Barry Lyndon to be his most artistically fulfilling picture.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

kubrick supposedly saying that stuff about lyndon, is exactly like LVT saying to PTA that stuff about Breaking the Waves. and how PT was like "shut up, i don't wanna hear that! i dont' need to hear that!".

that's how it is, maybe kubrick felt that way when he was staring at kidman's naked body, but he knows it and we know it that Barry Lyndon is probably the greatest thing he ever did. it's flawless on a level that no film had tried to be flawless in before.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

rustinglass

what is this interview with lvt and pta that you are talking about?
is it on the internet?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: rustinglasswhat is this interview with lvt and pta that you are talking about?
is it on the internet?
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=4787

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pkubrick supposedly saying that stuff about lyndon, is exactly like LVT saying to PTA that stuff about Breaking the Waves. and how PT was like "shut up, i don't wanna hear that! i dont' need to hear that!".

that's how it is, maybe kubrick felt that way when he was staring at kidman's naked body, but he knows it and we know it that Barry Lyndon is probably the greatest thing he ever did. it's flawless on a level that no film had tried to be flawless in before.

Agreed.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet about Barry Lyndon
Kubrick was highly confident while making the film and had all the time to make the film. He was just dissapointed by its dismal business and that he had to do this film in place of his Napolean project.

Wrong, Napoleon was supossed to follow 2001: ASO, he didn't make the film because of the box office failure of Waterloo, instead he turned his eyes to a little novel called A Clockwork Orange, and I think he did more than fine with that choice.

Pubrick

^^^ i love it when ppl know what they're talking about.
under the paving stones.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

yep, barry lyndon rocks
dogville
days of our lives the movie

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet about Barry Lyndon
Kubrick was highly confident while making the film and had all the time to make the film. He was just dissapointed by its dismal business and that he had to do this film in place of his Napolean project.

Wrong, Napoleon was supossed to follow 2001: ASO, he didn't make the film because of the box office failure of Waterloo, instead he turned his eyes to a little novel called A Clockwork Orange, and I think he did more than fine with that choice.

What part of that contradicted anything I said? Its just in your opinion Barry Lyndon was the better choice.

Pedro